CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 9 of 35 First ... 789101119 ... Last

here are two bikes ive built. one is an 06 softail standard. i just did alot of bolt on stuff on it but i made the seat and made the liscense plate mount. cut up the fender and had to make it fit to look nice. the other is a 93 sportster. just all bolt on parts on it. it was my first bike i started to modify. my father painted both bikes.

Here is the project bike its an xs 650. im going to do a street tracker. i want to use a sportster front end and sportster rear end to be able to utilize readily available harley parts for the braking componets and wheels and tires. I plan on using a peanut tank on it. buying a howling glass street tracker rear end kit for the body work. im going to run a 39mm front end on it to help make it more stable. i would like to rephase the motor and run a 750 kit in for a little extra burst of power to pull of some real cool wheelies. This bike was found in a guys yard. It has no title and was given to me for free. I am trying to save this bike from the wretched hell that it was wasting away in. the motor doesnt turn over either so its gonna be alot of work. this will be my first real full build. i dont count my softail as a full build because harley did most of the work and i didnt break the bike down to a bare frame. this bike i will. and some other small details. got some good ideas for a wicked paint job on this baby too. gonna be one hot street tracker.

here it is after the first day of work which was breaking the bike down and getting an idea of what i want it to turn into.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default The Greasy Dozen Duo

Here is a different sort of entry for The Greasy Dozen: Two guys, two bikes, one garage. Don’t worry, it gets better. My buddy and I both picked up these winter projects about a month ago and brought them straight to our bike stable. Since day one, we haven’t wasted time… much. We were already in the tear down process when we discovered The Greasy Dozen sponsorship.

Now, this caused a bit of a dilemma for us. How can we both be working the garage, building these bikes, AND be competition for The Greasy Dozen? We’d never be able to turn our backs on each other! So, in the interest of keeping our deadline of a spring unveiling for both bikes, we have decided to enter as a team. No man left behind.

So, on to the builders and our bikes. Travis’ bike is a 1977 CB750K. Glen’s bike is a 1979 CB750K with the DOHC that he constantly hangs over Travis’ head. The plan for these bikes are to café them out and build/fab what we can. Built, not bought. While both bikes are going for the café racer spots, we have very different ideas for the styling of each one. The café racer genre is wide and full of variety, so these bikes will be completely different beasts from each other.

We would’ve liked to have wasted a day making the shop pretty and posing the bikes around, but instead, we worked on them. We’re just now finishing up the tear down process and took a break to finally post our bikes. We won’t be wasting time and procrastinating while we wait for December 24th to hear whether or not we both made it into The Greasy Dozen. Instead, we’ll keep pushing forward.

So, here’s our entry, consequences be damned. It’s time to get back to work on the bikes, now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0413.jpg   IMG_0236.jpg   IMG_0393.jpg   photo.jpg   IMG_0407.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Greasy Dozen Project - First Time Cafe Builder

Hello all,

I'm a first time builder currently working on transforming a '78 Yamaha XS 750 SE into a Cafe Racer.

This bike hadn't run in over 4 years when I purchased it. According to the previous owner it had some electrical problems.

Once tear down was complete I removed all battery cage mounts with a reciprocating saw and grinder. I then chopped off the rear of the frame -

- and have created a new squared end.

I'm relocating the battery to sit behind the rider, and I'm building a new seat -

I'm wanting to go with a bit of a SteamPunk type flair for this bike, but still keep that Cafe essence ie. modified, clean, fast, bare essentials.

Here's what is on my current to-do list:
    • Finish out the new seat in sheet metal and leather

• Create a 'bolt-on to the frame' setup for the seat

• Probably paint frame, not powder coat.. Still trying to decide on overall color scheme

• New tail lights. I sooo dig these:

• New turn signals front and back

• New tires

• Strip wheels of paint and repaint. Again, still working out color scheme

• Rebuild all brakes and new brake lines

• Rearsets, definitely rearsets

• Fab new 3-2-1 exhaust as close to the old Kerker design specs as possible. This is considered the most optimal design ever made for the triple

• I want to make a muffler out of a tin from one of my favorite brands of Scotch

• Strip gas tank and paint. Really want to get rid of the mounts for the old Yamaha name plate.

• Build simplified wiring harness and get new spark plugs/wires and whatever other electrical is needed

• New fabbed clip-ons, and new clutch and throttle cables

• New grips and simplified controls

• New Speed and Tach, small, with customized backgrounds

• Want two headlights. I've got a unique idea for these

• Rebuild carbs

• Deep clean on ye old engine

• Add XS 850 oil-cooler

And that's all I can think of for the moment....

Although this bike wasn't running when I bought it, when kicking it over there were no grinding or sticking sounds and no leaks anywhere. When I drained the oil there weren't any metal flakes or any water so I'm going to avoid tearing it down until I can at least do a compression test.

I'm documenting this whole process on my blog www.UtahCafeRacer.com with the hope that my experience will inspire others to trying building their own.

Thanks for your consideration. This is a bad ass idea!!

Get Adobe Flash player

In honor of the greasy dozen, if i win i will do a motorcycle mowhawk during thee entire build if i win, and i will also do so if i do not win

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by UtahCafeRacer View Post

• Build simplified wiring harness and get new spark plugs/wires and whatever other electrical is needed

Diggin those tail lights. Check out this chopcult forum for the simplified wiring harness:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17549

Hope it helps!

Get Adobe Flash player

Default GD entry

I'm a rookie garage builder from the Chicago burbs with only 1 and a half bikes under my belt. My first build started as a basket case my brother gave to me as a wedding gift. It was built in my old mans garage using basic hand tools and a shitty mig welder.
    All work done in house including paint, powder coat, and polishing.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

A lot of time and effort went into this build and it only took a few drunks a second to completely destroy it. That could be a story for another time though.

The death of one was the birth of another!! I saved the motor and started rebuilding from there. If I have to categorize my bike I guess I'm building a skinny and loud chopper.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

I've been trying to build up my collection of parts and tools to help continue building custom bikes, as this is something I want to do full time. Being one of the Greasy Dozen would surely be a solid push in the right direction and an excellent building block
    for me to work off of and pursue my dreams.

Thanks for the opportunity and good luck to everyone else.

Get Adobe Flash player

ok
    Last edited by BobT; 01-13-2013 at 4:53 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Greasy Dozen Entry

My name is Seamus. I would love to be a part of this along with my buddy Chris. Im from Boston, im a Paramedic by day and a bike junkie by night. I got out of the Marines after 7 years and multiple deployments in June of this year. I had just returned from my most recent deployment to Afghanistan a few months before that, and I picked up the bike I plan to rebuild with the money I saved up from that.

My bike is a 1971 Shovelhead. It is built into a 1976 Amen Savior frame. I havent seen many around like it, and plan to keep it in the frame. Its an original 70s build, but is in desperate need of a rebuild, so I plan to tear it down to the cases, rebuild the entire motor and make it a bit more reliable and fast, and change the asthetics of the whole thing while maintaining that old school bobber feel. I may have a couple of other tricks up my sleeve as well (a few military items I may have kept from Iraq and Afghan that I have been planning to use on this for quite some time).

I plan on doing this with my good friend Chris. He and I have worked on many bikes before, and we have done some rebuilds and other assorted things(we help upkeep our club's bikes). This will be his second full build and my first. Its as legit garage as it can be. We'll be doing it in the basement garage of my triple decker using any tool we can get our hands on. It gets cold as hell up here in New England, so a space heater and whiskey will definately be two of those tools.

I hope you pick me. Being a Medic doesnt pay shit, and Im still waiting on my govt money. Id appreciate the opportunity to fulfill my dream with the least amount of financial burden as possible, as well as support.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1137.jpg   IMG_1132.jpg   IMG_1303.jpg   IMG_0785.jpg  

seatraveler

This is a great thing!

Having this opportunity would be great. I have been designing my personal bike build over the last 5 months and it is just about ready for paint. I say designing, because I have not fabbed any of the project. That said Im great with my hands and have always been very creative. A few pics of my current build are below.

What I want to build:
    Prolly catch some heat here but Harley's in my mind are the ultimate ( im currently building a triumph ) and it would be rad to build a panhead. 70's style choppers are great but I want to go back in time a little and build a panhead bobber, something that looks like its at home on the flats or the streets. Solid colors and possibly some pin lines. Black wheels and not a ton of chrome!

Im 26 and want to build bikes the rest of my life

Current build pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1597.jpg   IMG_1621.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Default The selection process

Ok bros & builders, its about time I chime in with a little more info about the the Greasy Dozen in general and the winner selection process. First I want to clarify a few things. A lot of people are referring to The Greasy Dozen as a build off…and I can see how that’s an easy way to describe it but the GD is really something quite different. The Greasy Dozen is the creation of a fraternity for garage builders and a demonstration of brotherhood and solidarity in the grassroots builder scene.

A “build off” would have 1 winner and that’s not what the GD is about, really there are 12 winners! 12 builders will be selected from the vast field of talented homebuilder’s and small shops that have entered. Every one of the dozen is a winner, getting the opportunity for parts and support form Old Bike Barn and our generous sponsors. Adnauseum, Biltwell, Burly Brand, David Brid Hard Tails, Kundradic Motorcycles, Lowbrow Customs, Moore Sensible, Old School Helmets, Old Skool Kool, Rock and Ride, Speed Dealer Customs Wimmer Cycles, Wrench Magazine

Most importantly “The Greasy Dozen” is about working together while doing something different and special to promote the grassroots and garage builder scene. For me it’s never been about 100k theme bikes or how much money was spent on chrome and bolt on’s…

So what is “The Greasy Dozen” if it’s not a “Build off”?

Its a Grassroots Garage Builder Collective, with a sprit of working together to promote traditional bikes and traditional biker values while bring people together for the common goal of showing motorcycle culture how we see it.

Who will win?

Well I can tell you it will likely be positive people that look like they have what it takes to succeed in building a bike between December 24th and June 30th. Telling me you been working on a bike for 10 years, likely means you did not want it bad enough and sponsorship won’t help you. People that have sent me emails about how shitty there life is will probably be over shadowed by people that went out of their way to impress with, good photos and a good right up. (Additions or second posts are welcome) I have heard everything from “a bad divorce” to “I lost everything to drug addition” as reasons to be selected. I have also had direct requests for Cash $ to support in progress builds… hang on let me fire up our money-printing machine. Sorry guys no cash, just parts and swag. LOL

How will the 12 winners be chosen?

It will be at a round table, myself and 3 bros from OBB will each pick 4 builders for each category of Bobber, Café Racer and Chopper then we will sit down with a bottle of Maker’s Mark and plenty of PBR to fight for our candidates. By the end of the night we will have narrowed the field down from 48 to 4 in each category, creating the very first Greasy Dozen.

I’m tried of the dilution of motorcycle culture in general and judging by the response this in a step in the right direction. Promoting grassroots and garage builder culture together we all win.The guys saying they will show support whether they win or not and the cool things like sketches of GD logos from tattoo artists, hand tooled seats and the like are really appreciated. Remember no contribution is too big or small. We still really need a few painters hint, hint.

Finally I have give special thanks to my fellow sponsors that stepped up for this and thanks to you the builders and my fellow 33ers who have embrace this idea.

Thanks for reading now get out there and tell your friends and post some more cool pictures. Maybe if we educate enough of the masses there will be less douche bags on the road.

-Bear

P.S. I encourage any one that wants to, to add extra shots or do a second post on this thread or my Facebook.

Here are are few posts that stood out. (no you don't have to do a stunt to be a winner)

Christian Newman "seat riding"

Rough sketches of GD art from tattoo artist Jason Boatman

Catamount Cycles "Flat tracking" in in an MIB suit lol

When Christian Acker who has worked for great brands like Loser Machine, Obey, Vans, Zoo York, volunteered to do the official Greasy Dozen T-Shirts

Last edited by Eloso; 12-03-2012 at 12:41 PM.

I've already submitted my story and pics of my first build, here's a couple more:

Here is the next build for this winter. '76 XS650:

Get Adobe Flash player

Default The guy who was shot.

Here is my entry.

Last edited by vigilante; 12-03-2012 at 4:27 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleTramps View Post
    Diggin those tail lights. Check out this chopcult forum for the simplified wiring harness:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17549

Hope it helps!

Hey SaddleTramps. Thanks for the link. My harness will be a bit more involved since I've got 3 separate ignition coils ( I've got an XS 750 which is a triple cylinder ), but that was an excellent diagram.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey SaddleTramps. Thanks for the link. My harness will be a bit more involved since I've got 3 separate ignition coils ( I've got an XS 750 which is a triple cylinder ), but that was an excellent diagram.
    No problemo, amigo. Gonna be building some wiring harnesses as well, but for a couple of CB750s. Pretty exciting stuff. Good luck with it, man. If you find any tips or better diagrams, PM me, and I'll do the same.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well guys, I posted way earlier in this (still don't know exactly what to call it) guarge builder show your stuff. How ever here are a few more pics of my pops and I last build ( the black Ironhead) and the one I am entering a 69 Triumph chopper which I've been pretty much on my own with. For anyone who has been following my build thread (Magic Carpet Ride) I know it's seemed like I've been building this Trumpet for an eturnity but not really considering time away, from the shit life deals you plus the problems with the two hack job frames I've had to deal with. I can make a solom vow I can finish this bad ass bitch before the deadline. Any way thanks for your consideration to show my skills.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1354578344901.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1354578376368.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1354578540493.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1354578618064.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1354578647509.jpg  

Last edited by LinkBelt; 12-03-2012 at 5:54 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Want more builds?

I got more builds...

I didn't post this one because the bike is nothing to look at. Here's the craigslist photo when I bought it:

I live in Colorado and love riding in the mountains. Most people trailer their bikes to the trailhead. I wanted a bike that could ride on the highway and could also handle the trail obstacles. I also wanted something that was air-cooled (less stuff to break on the trail)

I did some work to stiffen the chassis.

I used the cases from a '91 Suzuki DR250S and bored and stroked it to 440cc

...and armored it for the trails

Full build thread here if you want to waist a few hours:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620198

On the outside the bike still looks the same as the stock bike, but now it can take me a lot more places.

Top of the World Trail, Moab:

Here’s a good ride report:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799937
    Last edited by pablo83; 12-03-2012 at 7:44 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
    I got more builds...
    Pablo, that is a nice ride man! I dig your street tracker, and your NX650 is sweeeetttt!!!
    Last edited by UtahCafeRacer; 12-03-2012 at 8:18 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

...and your NX650 is sweeeetttt!!!
    Thanks. I got that one in Salt Lake (Bountiful). It turned out to be stolen. The last legal owner had never reported it stolen which is why the VIN checked out when I bought it. Long story short, he ended up giving me the bike. I really need to finish it. It's got too much potential to keep sitting under it's cover, but I keep getting side tracked with other builds.
    Last edited by pablo83; 12-03-2012 at 8:40 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Posted a few of my bikes on the first page. Planning on doing 92 sporty bobber that i just picked up bone stock. So far all of my builds have been relative successes but I always cut myself short with fundage, Im really stoked to see what I can do with a little bit of sponsorship help. Anyway, heres a shot of the garage. Like i said, its big enough with enough tools to get a build done in a few months with some support. But its definitely not a full blown bike shop.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Kool Seat by Old Skool Kool

I love how everyone from leather workers to tattoo artists and painters are lending a hand with The Greasy Dozen. Mike Piotrowski of http://www.oldskoolkool.net/ did up this Greasy Dozen seat for us and is planning another one for us. Check out more of his work on his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-s...25827534172523 This is what its all about bros banding together to make "The Greasy Dozen" something special. Thanks Mike! -Bear

Don't for get to throw this brother some Facebook love by liking his page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-s...25827534172523

Share This