The Greasy Dozen Builds 2013 (Official 13)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ehadams
    • Nov 2012

Moved my stuff to a new thread in the Japaneese Bikes forum.

The Greasy Dozen buildhttp://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24008 has gotten me going on my build again. I thought I would give a summary of the build from where it began. Last June I answered a craigslist add for a 75 GL1000. The guy was asking 800 for a bike that had blown a timing belt at 50000 miles. He had

The anticipation of the announcement of the 12 lucky bikes is killing me.

Not sure who is more excited for Christmas Eve, Me or the Kids.

Good Luck to all. Can't wait to see what everyone is building.

Also thanks for turning me on to this site. What a great bunch of builders and guys here.

Eric

Comment

• WrenchTechRacing
      • Dec 2012

It's been hard to fight off the urge to start working on the bike. Waiting for the results is killing me haha. Have a cbr front end just waiting to go on lol.

Comment

• Knuckleduster
        • Apr 2024

Originally posted by WrenchTechRacing
        It's been hard to fight off the urge to start working on the bike. Waiting for the results is killing me haha. Have a cbr front end just waiting to go on lol.
        There's no need to wait yo, get down tanight, you know you like it greasy !

Comment

• jambo
          • Sep 2010

Update.....thia project has been sitting dormant waiting to see if i am picked as a greasy contestant. Good luck everyone! Happy holidays!!!! Jambo
          Originally posted by jambo
          stingray

current build. Yamaha xs650 chopper.

short chop

this chopper is last years build. The "balle d'argent

cropped photo.

balle d'argent

i'm just a dude from iowa building some fun rides! Check out my build thread in jap forum. Titled yamaha 650 special. Getting quit a bit of views, not alot of feedback so i take that as good?? Thanks for consideration.
          My plans are to run a two into one intake with 40mm cv carb. Custom built exhaust, paint, and pretty much everything else. Off to a good start. This is my first build from the rising sun so it is a total learning experience.
          What's done so far you ask? Custom hard tail section by twisted spoke bike works out of fulton, il. Grafted a 39mm sporty front end on to it. Spool wheel up front held on by turned down lowers. Narrowed sporty tank frisco style. Sporty rear fender with a twist. Harley rear wheel.
          I could sure use the help with parts and stuff beings that money is always a huge stumbling block!
          Being one of the greasy dozen will make me pay mucho the attention to detail having an actual finish deadline. This is a great idea! I hope more suppliers jump on board for this one and help get some builders recognized .
          b&w

side mock up

Comment

• FootLoose
            • Apr 2024

Overseas entry?

Hi to all...
            Overseas newbie to this forum but not to building bikes.
            Like to say this is an awesome idea and if possible this Dutchie would sure like to take part!
            Wouldn't need any of the prices to be won either what with shipping being an an issue, but being a member of the GD and a T-shirt or 2 would do me nicely....

I've been building bikes for about 30 yrs now, for myself and for others, by now I know what works and what doesn't.
            I like to do one-off stuff and trick parts and have always loved the old skool way but have been known to stray from it occasionally...
            I do Harleys and Brit bikes and Japs only if it's of the very, very fast variety!
            I ride bikes daily, summer and winter, it's my whole life and all bikes I build are built to be used daily and ridden real hard,
            even in snow and ice and all have a long mileage history, so far so good....
            I'm a one-man band, I do all fabrication, machinework,electrics and engine/gearbox building myself, I do my own powdercoating for anything up to the size of a tank/mudguard and only send out for paint or chrome.
            My machine park basically consists of a (relatively small) lathe on which I can do some milling as well.
            I don't own any other fancy machinery and do most of my stuff the old way, by hand.....

Some pics of previous stuff...
            My own ride, '66 shovel with only handmade or altered oem Harley parts. Built about 13 years ago.
            Sold it twice, missed it dearly, love it so much that I bought it back twice as well, never to be sold again!
            It goes like stink, does a 120mph, 50K mls on the clock and still going strong!
            As you can tell by the paint, by now this one's been ridden through a few icy winters....
            Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0008.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	1260601
            Then there's a 93" shovel in rather modern version, long from finished as I can't find the time for another bike for myself...
            Very little time I have has been taken up by building a boat and restoring a '61 Chrysler.

Name:	!cid_000501c65836$f262d740$5f8aa053@pentium3000.jpg
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	1260603
            And then there's my 3 wheeler for when the snow and ice gets too bad for 2 wheels or for blapping to the beach in summer with tons of stuff to carry. No helmet needed!
            This thing will easily move 6 people and goes as fast as you dare.....

Name:	IMG_0119.JPG
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	1260604
            I could post lots of pics of heaps of harley/brit chops but I'd have to scan them first so I'll just leave you with my current build that's up for entry in this awesome project. I guess in the chopper class?
            I'm building this for a good friend who's waited 20 yrs for me to build him a bike.
            One-off hardtail by me, TR6 engine, full Morgo conversion, fast cams, Newby belt/clutch, single Mikuni, 1-off exhaust system, 3 degree rake inside the oem headstock and another 3 in the 1-off mid-glide yokes, still to be finished,
            1-off headllight 100% handmade apart from the glass/rubber mount inside, with a matching tail light, 1-off tank is a heavily modified and joined king/peanut sportster with lowered sides/raised tunnel and cut up fatbob inserts,
            1-off oiltank, handlebars and hand/foot controls, RP gel seat with onboard air ride system and round spoke invader wheels.
            This bike will look very minimal but will be equiped with invisible oil cooling system, steering damper and tons of other trick parts not visible at first glance...

Name:	100_1717.JPG
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	1260606

Name:	100_1564.JPG
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	1260611
            What do you guys think? Do I qualify?
            If not, please post when we can at least order the T-shirts to support this fantastic cause!
            And keep up the good work!
            Alway nice to see other skilled people at work and hopefully this will persuade some of the youngsters to drop their phones and p.c. games, get of their lazy asses and start creating along with the best of the rest....
            Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2012, 8:24 PM.

Comment

• Valvesprung
              • Dec 2011

Just a quick little photo reminder of my KZ650 cafe project. ZX7 suspension, Ducati spoked 17" wheels (5.5" rear), GPZ tail...and probably a wicked undertail exhaust...

And thanks again to Bear and all of the sponsors for the awesome thing this...
              Last edited by Valvesprung; 12-20-2012, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• royota
                • Sep 2011

Greasy Dozen First Build

Looks like some good builders coming out of the wood work. Just finished my last day of work for 12 days waiting to hear the contenders announced can't wait to check the progress as it gets underway. Good luck to everyone who entered and have a safe Christmas and holiday season.

Comment

• Eloso
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by royota
                  Looks like some good builders coming out of the wood work. Just finished my last day of work for 12 days waiting to hear the contenders announced can't wait to check the progress as it gets underway. Good luck to everyone who entered and have a safe Christmas and holiday season.
                  I wanna thank everyone involved, my fellow sponsors, the bros that took the time to enter, everyone that kept up with things an continued to post. This has been an amazing ride so far and we have not even got the bikes done yet... there are more good times to come from this.

The internet can be tough, guys don't read and The Greasy Dozen concept its self is complex being that its not a build off with 1 winner but rather 12 winners working as a collective to show the rest of the world what garage building and small independent shops are all about.

In just 2 short days I'll be sitting down with some long time OBB staff and family to vote in the 12 winners. With so many applicants in this thread on OBB Facebook and in my email this is going to be a daunting task. There are so many qualified and deserving brothers so selection is about the only part of The GD I'm not looking forward to.

2013 will bring us the first Dozen and I can say with certainty we will be doing a Greasy Dozen contest and builders collective every year going forward.

Good luck to everyone.

Peace, grease and happy holidays!

-Bear

P.S. I wanna thank everyone for the heart warming emails & pm's with respect & props for my efforts on the GD. Its been a shit ton of work to get this started but its super rewarding when I wake up to things like this art from tattoo artist Jason Boastman in my in box. 2012 was a bumpy ride both personally and in biz so all this positive energy sure makes my days easier. I try to respond to every single email I get no matter the subject but the volume is getting higher so please don't feel short changed if you get a 1 liner, thank you note.

Here's the latest from Jason B. I'm fixing to do up some stickies based on one of these.
                  Last edited by Bear; 12-21-2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• Eloso
                    • Apr 2012

Twist of fate

WTF ok so I just paid Jason some unrelated props for art he sent me 3 weeks ago and then I continue about my morning routine, Chop Cult done, next Facebook and what do I find...

A private message from Jason with a Youtube video of him getting a Greasy Dozen TAT!!! I especially like that he mentions helping out and clearly gets that this is about working together to create a brotherhood of garage builders and indi shops.

This is so instigating that the fraternity will come to be I'm gona do Greasy Dozen rings for the 12 bros and get myself an effing GD tatt also!

I think its safe to say we have one winner being announced early! Jason your in, no voting needed on this one I'm calling it.

Respect

-Bear

Last edited by Bear; 12-21-2012, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• Ehadams
                      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Eloso
                      I think its safe to say we have one winner being announced early! Jason your in, no voting needed on this one I'm calling it.

Respect

-Bear

Congrats. Way to make a commitment Jason!

Comment

• Saltytonk
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Saltytonk
                        I'm sooo intrested in being a part of this......even if you dont pick me. I'm Gabe Choate from Loud N Greasy Customs. We are 2 guys ( myself and xllance)working out of a tiny garage with meager tools. We are commited to growing the chopper/builder scene on a local level and on a national level.
                        We sponsor as many grass roots events that we can.

Here is our first official build Goldilocks, a 1999 XL1200S. Build thread here. http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...ght=goldilocks

Here is my daily rider soon to be winter cafe build......a 2006 XL883.

Plans are to get a 1250 kit from NRHS and upgrade ignition , redo the pipes with a high 2 into 1.
                        mid pegs, different tank seat tail combo. fab some kinda fairing /number plate. put some performance suspension on it. And of course paint and some other little details that pop up along the way.

Loud N Greasy Customs and apparal Grinder co. parts and paint

Thanks for your consideration!
                        Been thinking ...I will double my chances and go ahead and enter my Shovelhead chopper I'm gonna be redoing this winter. I may end up doing both bikes the Sporty/cafe and redo the shovel.

Ok so plans for the shovel will be change out tank, fender fab a sissy bar, pipes, bars, change out the controls ...of course paint. rewire the whole thing . put electronic ignition in . gonna change out the 3" belt for a 1.5" and put mids on... etc. etc. etc..

heres the pics

[IMG]
                        [/IMG]

Thanks Bear!!!

Comment

• Nosebleed
                          • Mar 2010

^^^ Double down, son!!!

Comment

• Eloso
                            • Apr 2012

We still need a 1986 -2003 Sporty Cafe Builer

Originally posted by Saltytonk
                            Been thinking ...I will double my chances and go ahead and enter my Shovelhead chopper I'm gonna be redoing this winter. I may end up doing both bikes the Sporty/cafe and redo the shovel.

Thanks Bear!!!
                            Awesome idea to double down... I wish your Sporty was 1986-2003 here is why...

There are no Sportster Cafe builders in the right date range to take advantage of this crazy kit we are getting our hands on before release to public. (see below) has to be 1986-2003. Who ever posts in the right date range as a Sporty Cafe Builder could be a shoe in. I'm still digging through my email and Facebook entrees as well. Gents the hunt is on for a 1986-2003 Sporty Cafe Builder.

From Original Post: Ok perspective Greasy Dozen builders, I have some top secret information. Everyone knows I have a soft spot for Sportster Cafe Racers... Really its that I like my extremes either long stretched out Choppers or tight lean Cafe Racers.

That said an insider at a certain manufacture knew about my Cafe Racer fetish and approached me with a top secret Cafe Racer kit for the GD that fits 1986-2003 Sportsters. I was temped to take the glory for my self and build a Sportster Cafe but I have my hands full with rebuilding my Cheesy Banana Chopper and it just wouldn't be right, so this amazing opportunity goes to you the Builders!

The manufacture will be offering full support from the team that designed the kit and the lucky builder that fills this spot will be among the first in the country to have access to this unique line of Sportster Cafe Racer parts...

These parts are still a closely guarded secret and they won't be released to the public until the new year so all I can only show is this sketch for now. So lets see them Sportster entries in the cafe category. If you have not yet entered all the details are here on the GD blog www.thegreasydozen.com

If you have already entered a Sportster in this date range 1986-2003 you may change your category with another post stating your up for the Cafe build.

-Bear

Comment

• Saltytonk
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Eloso
                              Awesome idea to double down... I wish your Sporty was 1986-2003 here is why...

There are no Sportster Cafe builders in the right date range to take advantage of this crazy kit we are getting our hands on before release to public. (see below) has to be 1986-2003. Who ever posts in the right date range as a Sporty Cafe Builder could be a shoe in. I'm still digging through my email and Facebook entrees as well. Gents the hunt is on for a 1986-2003 Sporty Cafe Builder.

From Original Post: Ok perspective Greasy Dozen builders, I have some top secret information. Everyone knows I have a soft spot for Sportster Cafe Racers... Really its that I like my extremes either long stretched out Choppers or tight lean Cafe Racers.

That said an insider at a certain manufacture knew about my Cafe Racer fetish and approached me with a top secret Cafe Racer kit for the GD that fits 1986-2003 Sportsters. I was temped to take the glory for my self and build a Sportster Cafe but I have my hands full with rebuilding my Cheesy Banana Chopper and it just wouldn't be right, so this amazing opportunity goes to you the Builders!

The manufacture will be offering full support from the team that designed the kit and the lucky builder that fills this spot will be among the first in the country to have access to this unique line of Sportster Cafe Racer parts...

These parts are still a closely guarded secret and they won't be released to the public until the new year so all I can only show is this sketch for now. So lets see them Sportster entries in the cafe category. If you have not yet entered all the details are here on the GD blog www.thegreasydozen.com

If you have already entered a Sportster in this date range 1986-2003 you may change your category with another post stating your up for the Cafe build.

-Bear

Yeah I wished it was an 99-01 Sporty . Those are my favorite years.

Hey anybody got a 99 883 they would want to trade straight up for an 06 883?

Come on .......it'll make ya feel good.

Comment

• Randeezy868
                                • Mar 2010

Hope your not forgetting about me dude. haha. By the looks of Facebook you like my SR500 build, and my 92 sportster is def ready for a cafe kit. Im just trying to stay on top of things.... hahaha

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;