CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 35 12311 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default The Greasy Dozen Builds 2013 (Official 13)

So what is the "Greasy Dozen" it's my way of giving something back, saying something about what's important to me and supporting the core of our hobby, home builder's and small independent shops.

Now before anyone goes dismissing this as spam BS I have cleared this with the powers that be at 33, and yes I have an agenda, thats PROMOTING GRASSROOTS BUILDER CULTURE and having some fun working together to build some cool bikes.

So here's the deal with the "THE GREASY DOZEN" my company Old Bike Barn will sponsor 12 winter projects. Other sponsors are welcome, if you like the idea an want to donate parts, or paint etc you can join in the fun just send me a PM. (or check out the sponsors page on GD blog)

We are taking BUILDER applicants until December 15th, 2012 with the "Dozen" being announced December 24th Christmas Eve. Bikes must be competed by June 1st.

WHO QUALIFIES? Any home builder or small shop with 2 employees or less. You can also email me directly bear@oldbikebarn.com or send me a PM and I'll answer any questions.

TO APPLY, to be a sponsored builder, post a pic in this thread of a previous build and your current project bike with a rough idea of your plan. (one first time builder per category, Bobber, Cafe Racer, and Chopper) First time builders are welcome just post your current project bike and why you will be a good candidate.

Sponsorship of your build means heavily subsidized parts from www.oldbikebarn.com, and plenty of FREEBIES along the way. There is no way my family run biz could pay for 12 bikes but setting it up in this communal way we can subsidize multiple projects and help grow the home builder scene, offering support to12 lucky builders while showing the joy and rewards of building. THIS IS ABOUT INSPIRING OTHERS TO JOIN THE RANKS OF BUILT NOT BOUGHT!

Regular updates of the 12 builds will be posted here and I will personally support the 12 winning project builder's by phone and email getting you the parts you need and whatever freebies I can along the way.

POTENCIAL SPONSORS: Any company that digs this an wants to participate and help us out with parts will be listed as a sponsor on "The Greasy Dozen" page and recognized here and on my Facebook page for their contribution.

This is about working together and having some fun along the way so haters please go hate somewhere else.

Now lets build some bikes!

Peace & Grease
    -Bear (Eloso)

We have a few cool contest entries already

New entry: Eric Shields

"This is my 1975 shovel head that i plan on tearing down to ground zero and rebuilding into a full hardtail bobber. ive had this bike for almost 2 years now, but do to the military, i have not been able to get a good start on it. now that i have moved into a house with a garage, i figured it is now or never to build my dream bike."

New entry: Kenny McMaster

1976 honda cb750 to be stripped down to bobber style. either a coffin tank or sporty tank. handle bars and speedo cluster will be gone. i really want to "kong" the frame because not many people do it & it keeps the suspension as is. i have other little tricks up my sleeve, but other than that, kind of lost & dont know where to go with it. i just started on this thing yesterday by getting rid of the fairing then read the post about the Greasy Dozen Project and thought "well hell if thats not a sign then i dont know what is".........

You can check out my entries on "The Greasy Dozen Blog"

OR BETTER YET POST YOURS HERE!
    Last edited by billdozer; 12-25-2012 at 9:53 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

This sounds amazing! I would love to be part of this build! I am a photographer by day and I like to wrench on my bikes at night. I recently got my hands on a 1977 Ironhead. It has been sitting for 4years and needs a lot of TLC. I decided that this winter I would take on this project and do it myself. I already have a 1964 Triumph 650 chopper and a 1975 Honda CB500T cafe, now Id like to round out the collection and make this other bike into a tight, sleek, nimble chopper/bobber that I can thread through the city. I am all about this and would be ecstatic to be part of this build!

Here are my other bikes and my project bike....

photo 5[1]

photo 4[1]

photo 1[1]

photo 1[2]

photo 2[2]

photo 3[2]

photo 4[2]

photo 2[3]
    Last edited by AnthonyN; 01-15-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: editing images...

Get Adobe Flash player

Im down for this! This is my winter project, 2000 Sporty. Already torn down and about ready to have the David Bird hard tail welded on. This is my first project, but my head is already exploding with ideas. Going for more of a clean bobber type look (if you want to call it that?) Going with spoke wheels (as opposed to the solid rear), hard mounted thin seat with a big curve in it (to hold my chubby ass in the seat). Low drag bars, in the process of drawing up a bracket to mount a jockey shift. My pops and I paint, so a paint scheme is in the works. I plan on the bike being pretty clean and tidy with minimal distractions. Im a plain Jane kinda guy, but I like my stuff to be clean and symmetrical. The discount would be amazing, but to be honest im just digging the community right now. Ive already met a couple local guys and they all seem like rad guys...coming from the sport bike community, the humbleness and lack of ego in the build scene is great!

Sorry for the shitty pic, its all I had and cant get more since its no longer a complete bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

I was hit by a truck on Christmas Eve. Once I was recovered somewhat I started making my '07 Roadstar into my dream bobber. Since I took this pic I have made some custom side covers out of fiberglass and completed the prep for paint.

Roadstar Bobber by thehoggster1, on Flickr

Untitled by thehoggster1, on Flickr

I just picked up this '72 CL 350. It WILL be a the coolest cafe racer around. Benelli tank, custom rear cowl/seat, rearsets, headlight mounts, linkage, full engine polish...all done by me in my garage. Dream bike #2

cl350 cafe by thehoggster1, on Flickr

Get Adobe Flash player

Category: Chopper (in the traditional sense) or bobber (minimal, not extending forks).

Bike name: Devotchka

My background over the past 27 years consists mainly of restoring old Italian Lambretta and Vespa motorscooters, but I have turned a junk Honda CL450 into a cool cafe bike (unfortunately I don't have any pics and it's been sold). While I don't bring much in the way of motorcycle experience, I am very detail oriented, meticulous, and a nutty artist!

My build this winter is a 2004 XL1200, a low mile bike I picked up two years ago. It will be heavily inspired by all the cool rides being built in Japan: FUNKY! 33 member Iivingdeadmc from Jump Street Customs will be helping with all the welding and turning the lathe, and I'll be handling the paint and making/modifying everything else (brackets, seat, lights, wiring, polishing, etc).

My goal is to ride this out to Born Free next year, and hitting as many shows up and down the east coast and mid-west as humanly possible. As much as I love all the creative stuff going on in the scene, the characters who build them are just as amazing! Hope to meet many more of you next summer!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be updating this post with more photos and details as the build progresses, so please check back here for the latest updates.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Stock rubber mount frame with Led Sled hardtail (2" stretch)
    - Hand-made sprung high-back seat
    - Hand-made tank
    - Hand-made mids
    - Hand-made triangle bars
    - Hand-made reverse short sissy bar
    - Hand-made tail light
    - Old military light converted to headlight
    - 16x3 spoke rear with Firestone
    - 21" spoke front with Avon
    - Stock narrow glide with shaved upper tree
    - Shaved stock controls, minus pods
    - Biltwell single cable Whiskey throttle
    - Led Sled oil tank
    - Bates rear fender (modified)
    - Chain conversion
    - Minimal wiring

These are the graphics for the tank that I drew in Illustrator. They'll be output to the masking material for paint with a plotter. The gas cap will become the eye. (I'll be using a different tank than the one seen here).

The 21" front wheel after I laced it up.

I'm trying to put my spin on as much of the stock stuff that I can use, like these shaved controls:

Any existing chrome is being toned down with nylon bristle drill attachments and Scotchbrite pads. Here's a look at the technique on the rockers:

Rather than get all creative on the sprocket cover, I went for a simple circle to play off the air cleaner, ignition cover, clutch cover etc.
    sprocket-cover

Here's what I'm using for the headlight. It's cast aluminum, and up until now, it spent it's days on an old military truck.

This is the light today, sitting beside my stock headlight.

Another angle, with one of the two new pairs of plates I made.

I'm still trying to figure out what direction to go with the tank, but lately I'm really digging this one off a bike by Luck Motorcycles. My interpretation of it in Photoshop is longer, not quite as tall, and with the sides extending down against the backbone. The front of the tank will be made to match the angle of the sissy bar, down tube, and the front of the frame. I also threw in some bars just to see how it might balance out (they wouldn't hug the tank as close as this).

Thanks a bunch for your consideration, and three cheers to the Old Bike Barn, Chop Cult, and all the sponsors for making this happen!
    Last edited by lostwire; 03-11-2013 at 9:54 PM. Reason: Updates!

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Pick me!

my 1982 kz 750, hartailed it, completely tearing it down to replace "swingarm hardtail" and front end. and adding smaller tank, making a king and queen seat, replacing stock front end with sporty narrow glide, building battery box etc. pick me please i need help.

Get Adobe Flash player

Cafe contender...

I built my first project bike about 4 years ago and it was a pretty simple build. A 1977 KZ400S3. I sitll own it today and love riding it around town and to local vintage bike events, including last weeks International Distinguished Gentelmen's Ride.

I have a love for all things on two wheels...even those that are pedal powered

The build starts with a 1979 Kawasaki KZ650SR with only 16k original miles on it and some crazy ideas. I want it to handle much like a modern bike while maintaining all of the character that a vintage bike should. The paint scheme will scream vintage, as will the steel spoked wheels...but with a modern twist.

Parts I have now:
    -1989 ZX-7 front suspension (42mm cartridge forks and triples)
    -42mm clip-on bars
    -1993 CBR600F2 rear swing arm to be converted for dual shocks
    -2008 Ducati GT1000 steel spoked wheels (17x3.5" front and 17x5.5" rear)
    -stock KZ650SR tank
    -1982 GPZ750 tail cowl to be mated to a custom steel seat pan
    -rebuilt OE Mikuni carbs
    -factory header to be build into undertail exhaust to exit tail cowl cut out with Porsche exhaust tip

As of right now the frame has been chopped down and cleaned up, the swing arm has been narrowed to fit. I've mocked up the bike with the ZX-7 wheels so we could get a good idea of the overall stance.

A good buddy of mine applied a little photshop love so we could really get a feel for the completed bike. the bike will however have chromed steel rims and silver spokes

I have a few good friends helping along the way with the steel fab and some cool custom mill work too. This bike should really break the classic cafe mold a bit.,..

Get Adobe Flash player

Chopper Contender

This is a great idea that I really like a lot
    I would be happy to participate in this

a little background about my shop is basically a man operation with myself as the owner/operator and I do all the work that comes out of my shop myself.
    My business is small and a new endeavor for me as I only started it in May 2012, but I have been building bikes and hot rods for a little over 10 years now just never as a business.
    But I have a nice small steady stream of customers that I have been helping out with their projects and making parts etc. for them.
    I have a full custom 1977 shovel build that is nearing completion for a customer of mine who lives in Rhode Island.
    this is a link to that build thread for that bike on this site

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22380

this is basically what the bikes sits at right now it should be finished up within the next month or so as 99% of the fab work is finished on it.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

this is my personal shovelhead that is my everyday rider that I built from scratch for myself

this is a 1960 xlch chopper that I built from scratch earlier this year that was recently sold to Japan
    Photobucket

I would absolutely love to participate in this event

my project bike that I have in mind is a 1956 FLH panhead that I have been looking to build for a while now and this would be a great way to get the project going
    I have a big collection of parts for the bike
    basic plans and ideas for the bike are and parts that I have gathered up for it over the last few years include
    -1956 panhead motor
    -single down tube frame from Mullins Chain Drive
    -early knucklehead springer that I am going to narrow by about 3"
    -kick only open belt primary setup
    -custom mid controls
    -custom handlebars
    -original vintage 16" rear invader wheel with early juice brake
    -custom narrow gas tank that I hand made
    -21" front aluminum akront rim laced to a Wargasser Hex Hub Spool Wheel
    -custom seat

the plan is to basically build a really clean looking chopper with a lot of vintage factory and vintage custom parts that have been worked over by myself.
    this is how the bike currently sits right now at my shop
    you can see from the pics that this will be a complete custom rebuild going on as the way the bike sits right now all I am really using is the motor and the trans from the bike

if you need to reach me for any reason my email is syndicatechoppers@yahoo.com and my phone number is 516-457-3514

thank you for offering this up
    -Carmine

Get Adobe Flash player

Id love to get in on this. 2 weeks ago my daily 08 Sportster got totalled when an idiot coming headon decided to make a left in front of me. I jumped ship but hit the ground hard and fractured my femur and pelvis, and halfway ripped my leg off. Anyways. here was my 08.

Other than that Ive built a 74 CB360 with a CR250 two smoker, and my last build was a 78 SR500. Its just me, in a small garage, with enough tools to get the job done.

Im looking for a older evo sporty to do a ground up build and have a sick bike to rip long distances like i did on my 08.

Get Adobe Flash player

id love to be considered for a place in the chopper field. im rebuilding my 1980 shovelhead from the ground up. ive never teared down a bike, this was my first shot. im definitly learning as i go the hard way. with a lot of personal stuff on my shoulders (ill spare u guys the sad story) ive managed to get the bike into a roller. def dont have the funds to get it much past that right now. my plans for it would be a 16 up front, 2 up seat w a small sissy bar, custom tank, mag, custom barsand thats about it. just want a raw beast. what ive learned so far is things add up and to build it how u want it..u def gotta take ur time. id love to be a part of this bc im a guy w limited tools and knowledge..but love motorcycles and would love to come out of this with a bad ass chopper ive built w my own two hands. if i dont get accepted id like to nominate one of the guys above me..syndacite choppers..im always textin him for info n no matter wat time he always responds...alot of shops around here dont wanna talk to u unless theyre doin a full build for u..or simply say "get a manual"..carmine is patient n has helped me figure out alot...

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Greasy Eggs

My name is Matt Marlatt and I work out of my basement in NE Ohio and would love the chance to promote small businesses and home shops. I'm not the smartest builder or the most talented but I'm in it for the long run.

My previous builds were a 1971 Honda Cl350 Bobber and a 1981Yamaha XS650 cafe bike.

I just picked up these 2 1976 Honda CB550s I plan on turning into another Bobber.

I also have a 1977 KZ400 that has been sitting around that I plan on making into a cafe bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

Here are a few pics of the start to my first full build. It is a 75 Ironhead in a Paughco frame. I know its not a very original idea as a build platform, but what can I say, I love Ironheads. I picked up the motor and frame as a package deal from a friend of a friend. I originally only wanted the frame for my other Ironhead, but couldnt resist buying the whole setup. I have been a mechanic of some sort all of my life. I have built some cool cars and trucks, and even a few race cars. I have always had a love for motorcyces, but for some reason waited until now to actually build one.

I picked up a front end with a mag wheel, slapped them on to get an idea of what its going to look like.

Last edited by carl609; 10-08-2012 at 4:09 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm sooo intrested in being a part of this......even if you dont pick me. I'm Gabe Choate from Loud N Greasy Customs. We are 2 guys ( myself and xllance)working out of a tiny garage with meager tools. We are commited to growing the chopper/builder scene on a local level and on a national level.
    We sponsor as many grass roots events that we can.

Here is our first official build Goldilocks, a 1999 XL1200S. Build thread here. http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...ght=goldilocks

Here is my daily rider soon to be winter cafe build......a 2006 XL883.

Plans are to get a 1250 kit from NRHS and upgrade ignition , redo the pipes with a high 2 into 1.
    mid pegs, different tank seat tail combo. fab some kinda fairing /number plate. put some performance suspension on it. And of course paint and some other little details that pop up along the way.

www.loudandgreasy.blogspot.com

Thanks for your consideration!
    Last edited by Saltytonk; 10-09-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The overwhelmingly positive response is awesome bro's. I can see everyone gets what this is about! No trolls or haters SUPER! I'm stoked to see the 12 bikes that come out of this. We are all gona have to show up at an event once the bikes are done! I'm hoping some parts manufactures, painters, and the like jump on board and make this a really righteous collective initiative. Keep the entries coming. -Bear

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a 2010 Sporty that I had heavily modified.
    The sickle and I were involved in a game of Chicken Gone Wrong with a cager on the Sea To Sky highway. We won.
    My plan while I am recovering will be changing the frame to a 4 up 2 out 36 deg. rubber mount hard tail. In a perfect world I would be able to afford a Paughco 6 over narrow springer as well.
    I'm looking at a new oil bag, battery tray, rear fender, wheels tires, and floor boards.
    I will be fabricating a sissy bar, pipes, suicide shift, ect.ect.ect...
    I feel it will make a cool and unique build being a rubber mount Evo. and I sure could use some help with parts.
    I will be building it at Motomethod in Vancouver BC. Canada.
    Cheers
    "Ride fast, take chances"
    Steve

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/attach...3&d=1349762081
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by hippisteve; 10-09-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default contestant?

Stingray

current build. Yamaha XS650 chopper.

short chop

this chopper is last years build. the "balle d'argent

Cropped photo.

Balle D'Argent

I'm just a dude from Iowa building some fun rides! Check out my build thread in jap forum. titled yamaha 650 special. Getting quit a bit of views, not alot of feedback so I take that as good?? thanks for consideration.
    My plans are to run a two into one intake with 40mm CV carb. Custom built exhaust, paint, and pretty much everything else. Off to a good start. This is my first build from the rising sun so it is a total learning experience.
    What's done so far you ask? Custom hard tail section by twisted spoke bike works out of Fulton, IL. Grafted a 39mm sporty front end on to it. Spool wheel up front held on by turned down lowers. Narrowed sporty tank frisco style. Sporty rear fender with a twist. Harley rear wheel.
    I could sure use the help with parts and stuff beings that money is always a huge stumbling block!
    Being one of the greasy dozen will make me pay mucho the attention to detail having an actual finish deadline. This is a great idea! I hope more suppliers jump on board for this one and help get some builders recognized .
    B&w

Side mock up
    Last edited by jambo; 10-17-2012 at 4:11 PM. Reason: Add text

Get Adobe Flash player

Default My Greasy Dozen Project

My name is Jared and I'm a computer programmer by day. I've been programming computers for years and in the past any time anyone asks me what I do for fun I've always had to tell them "computers"... till now. This will be my first build and Its quickly becoming more and more ambitious. I know it sounds cliche but I feel that its not so much about the destination but the journey. I figure if I want to ride something great where as much of the work is done by me then its going to take effort. I have a lot of things to learn and I'd love to get some encouragement from like minded people.

The bike started life as a 1971 Ironhead Sportster.

So far, I've extracted the engine and have since torn it down completely.

I've fixed a few minor issues with the case, refinished the heads and cylinders, redid the transmision and am now in the process of putting it all back together. (How hard can it be? I have the manual)

Once the engine is all put back together it will be going in a Flyrite "Smokin' Gun" frame.

I didn't purchase the frame as a "roller" as I wanted to be able to pick and choose the front and rear. I found a great "skinny" springer that I'll be using. I want this chopper to be as close to the period of the original bike as I can.

Wish me luck!

Thanks

billdozer

Man, this is going to be good. I'm SO glad I don't have to pick the entries!

Get Adobe Flash player

My name is Sean and I own an 81 Kawasaki KZ750 that I am rebuilding this winter. It's currently someones attempt at a bobber. I've been in the Army 10 years and have finally gotten out and back into the civilian world. Now I plan on building the metric bobber style bike I fell in love with while I was overseas. I have a great platform that I plan on hardworking, stretching, and lowering. I am also on the hunt for some 4 under springer forks for my project. As I am currently in the process of getting my civlian life together and funding is tight I could use all the help I can get. I ride with the Combat Vets Motorcycle Association Chapter 21-2 and would like to have this together and running for next summer so I can ride with my brothers in all the charity events we do. Thanks for your consideration.

livingdeadmc

I'd love to do this as well... I've got a couple builds I'm about to start. First one will be a chop top merc coupe inspired 1977 xs650 chopper the next will be a modern spin on a classic 70s chopper I'm picking up an evo sporty pre equipped with an hd springer and mini drum 21 up front for this one. And here are a few pics of my last few builds. I do this out of my house pretty much as a one man show.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 212.jpg   IMG958030.jpg   20121002_112358.jpg   210.JPG   201.jpg  

Share This