CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Softail Evo Kickstart installation Clutch Problem

I am working on a kickstart kit for my softail. The entire kit is on and the kicker turns the motor over but I cannot get the clutch to work. The throwout bearing slides in and gets stuck but does not engage the clutch. I tried to adjust it but something seems to be getting stuck. Anyone have any advice.

Get Adobe Flash player

You might have to clearance the inside of the Kicker cover where the Throwout is getting stuck. A lot of the taller early ones needed clearance here and there.

Get Adobe Flash player

I put a kicker kit on my '93 Softail and had to cut a new clutch push rod. I used one of the pieces that came with the kicker kit and made it work. I used a piece of 3/16 rod I had laying around to gauge the length I needed and then cut the supplied peice to make the right length. I put the clutch side adjuster in the hub and then slid the 3/16 rod in from the kicker side and subtracted the length of the throw out bearing rod and cut the supllied piece to make up the difference. I have been running it since May and have had no issues. Just make sure you have the adjuster screwed all the way out so you will then be able to adjust it in to give you the right release action. I hope this helps... Also, make sure the throw out bearing is out where it needs to be to contact the ball and ramp release.
    Last edited by JoeDog; 10-07-2012 at 5:52 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Is your pushrod long enough. I had to add a 1/4" ball bearing to the end of mine to fully engage the clutch

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks guys I got the clutch figured out I was completely over thinking it. I need to push the clutch pushrod back because it was getting pushed as I put the kicker cover. So I pushed it in and adjusted it and it worked fine. Anyways I got everything working and was trying to kick it over and the kicker got jammed up on that dumb spring between the kicker gears. I got that to hold it tighter and fixed that problem but now it does not feel like the clutch is engaging the engine. I am going to take the primary off but I know that everything was tight when I put it back so I am not sure what the problem could be. Thanks for you replies more minds always help.

Get Adobe Flash player

Figure it out?
    pushrod too short?
    Spring-plate pressure too soft?
    Clutch lever obstructed by fat grip?

Share This