Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billdozer
    • Mar 2024

Born Again

I've been jonesing for a fun and simple project. Not old, sacred and expensive. Not a late model "Modder" but a regular old rigid with simple wiring and nothing fancy. I've got some old left over and swap parts just hanging on the walls that aren't doing any good collecting dust.

One of my favorite riding buddies Joel has a garage full of primo projects, slab shovels, pans, etc. He's got an evo bagger for a shop truck and I'm not quite sure how or why he ended up with this RevTech-powered, Paughco-framed machine. We rode together in 2008 down into mainland Mexico with some other buddies and took a ferry across to the bottom of Baja and back up to meet the EDR crew in San Felipe. I was on a two-year old Triumph and Joel rode this damn jockey shift rigid the whole 2,000 mile trip with barely a hiccup. When we started out I told him "You don't have a speedo so why don't you lead so I can figure out where you and that bike are comfortable and I'll try to keep the speed in that range when I'm leading". Well, it was all I could do to keep up with him hand jammin' down the highway like nothin' at 95mph without a care in the world!

The point is, the bike is a strong runner, and that was with an old HD 4-speed. The RT is a 88-incher. I've heard there are good ones and bad ones. This must be a good one because it likes to run.

Joel needs to offload this machine so he can fund more projects but hasn't had much luck in selling it over the last couple months and even raped the trans out of it to mock up his shovel. I've got lots of respect for Joel and this machine but figured a little make over might help it be a little easier to sell come spring.

So, HalWade and I drove down and picked it up this morning and it took less than an hour to pull the tins and seat off of it and start playing what I call Mr. Potatohead with it. I played with different set-ups and think this is what I'm going to go for:

Flat-bottomed sporty tank, frisco mount
    Narrow, rigid Le Pera seat
    Keep the flat fender, remount
    Rewire, hide capacitor under tank, relocate the single "on" switch
    Install new Shinko rear 16" tire
    Go 21" up front
    Haven't decided on keeping the nice old PM dual discs and aftermarket wideglide trees or going to late model sporty narrow glide with single disc (I have already)
    Short risers
    Chumps or Apes, Windows if I go with the Narrow Glide
    Some kind of new pipes, probably high
    Afterhours Titmouse brass tailight (had it forever, been dying to use it)
    New shorter sissy bar

I shot a bunch of photos of it today in various get-ups and this is what I settled on:

This is the "before" pic. Built for function, not fashion, it hauls ass and a bunch of gear but hopefully a make over will be fun for me and help Joel sell the thing.

These versions failed for one reason or another:

Thanks Joel, for letting me take a shot at this thing. I'll try to put up some updates and tech along the way.
  • tobiism
    • Aug 2009

Thats cool Bill, have fun with it. I like the parts you chose. Nice and simple.

Comment

• revmike
      • Nov 2009

Sweet sissy bar and I like the triple trees too. very clean... I do like that sissy....

Comment

• Revelator
        • Aug 2009

The new Bars, Tank, & Seat in the 1st photo are looking real good. I would stay with that setup.
        huge improvment from what you started with.
        not crazy about the oil tank though.

Comment

• SDJose
          • Aug 2009

Nice! I like blockheads, sportys and bt's.

Comment

• tobiism
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Revelator
            The new Bars, Tank, & Seat in the 1st photo are looking real good. I would stay with that setup.
            huge improvment from what you started with.
            not crazy about the oil tank though.
            I like the oil tank because it sticks with the bike's original idea of no nonsense, simple requirements. The oil filter in the tank means no filter and extra oil lines to hang somewhere on the bike.

Comment

• wickedblockhead
              • Aug 2009

i didnt know what that was in the oil tank. damn thats a great idea! those window bars go great with that tank too. and that little lip on that rear fender adds a little "snazz". Jose likes me... heehee

Comment

• NHMike
                • Mar 2024

That sissy bar is fucking T I T S!

Comment

• deadman13
                  • Aug 2009

i want the old gas cap

Comment

• nohonestlyitsme
                    • Jan 2010

looks good, I like it in the Diablo Run stage, but i know what its like to want to make it your own

Comment

• Jashole
                      • Jan 2010

damm. just like everybody else that sissy bar is dope as hell. you should be proud of yourself. and i like the colors n shit. great job man.

Comment

• steffan
                        • Dec 2009

i dig the window bar set up! go for it

Comment

• billdozer
                          • Mar 2024

For the record, Joel made that sissy bar and it's off the bike now. I'm gonna build something a little different for the bike. This was a strong unit that saw some hard miles with heavy gear strapped to it and it held up fine. If anyone likes it so much I'm sure he'd sell it off cheap.

Comment

• turtle
                            • Dec 2009

looks like super bones. wish it were mine

Comment

• Jashole
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by billdozer
                              For the record, Joel made that sissy bar and it's off the bike now. I'm gonna build something a little different for the bike. This was a strong unit that saw some hard miles with heavy gear strapped to it and it held up fine. If anyone likes it so much I'm sure he'd sell it off cheap.
                              yeah just let us know if he's selling the thing. its a crowd pleaser. hahah

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...