CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Thread: Born Again

billdozer

Default Born Again

I've been jonesing for a fun and simple project. Not old, sacred and expensive. Not a late model "Modder" but a regular old rigid with simple wiring and nothing fancy. I've got some old left over and swap parts just hanging on the walls that aren't doing any good collecting dust.

One of my favorite riding buddies Joel has a garage full of primo projects, slab shovels, pans, etc. He's got an evo bagger for a shop truck and I'm not quite sure how or why he ended up with this RevTech-powered, Paughco-framed machine. We rode together in 2008 down into mainland Mexico with some other buddies and took a ferry across to the bottom of Baja and back up to meet the EDR crew in San Felipe. I was on a two-year old Triumph and Joel rode this damn jockey shift rigid the whole 2,000 mile trip with barely a hiccup. When we started out I told him "You don't have a speedo so why don't you lead so I can figure out where you and that bike are comfortable and I'll try to keep the speed in that range when I'm leading". Well, it was all I could do to keep up with him hand jammin' down the highway like nothin' at 95mph without a care in the world!

The point is, the bike is a strong runner, and that was with an old HD 4-speed. The RT is a 88-incher. I've heard there are good ones and bad ones. This must be a good one because it likes to run.

Joel needs to offload this machine so he can fund more projects but hasn't had much luck in selling it over the last couple months and even raped the trans out of it to mock up his shovel. I've got lots of respect for Joel and this machine but figured a little make over might help it be a little easier to sell come spring.

So, HalWade and I drove down and picked it up this morning and it took less than an hour to pull the tins and seat off of it and start playing what I call Mr. Potatohead with it. I played with different set-ups and think this is what I'm going to go for:

Flat-bottomed sporty tank, frisco mount
    Narrow, rigid Le Pera seat
    Keep the flat fender, remount
    Rewire, hide capacitor under tank, relocate the single "on" switch
    Install new Shinko rear 16" tire
    Go 21" up front
    Haven't decided on keeping the nice old PM dual discs and aftermarket wideglide trees or going to late model sporty narrow glide with single disc (I have already)
    Short risers
    Chumps or Apes, Windows if I go with the Narrow Glide
    Some kind of new pipes, probably high
    Afterhours Titmouse brass tailight (had it forever, been dying to use it)
    New shorter sissy bar

I shot a bunch of photos of it today in various get-ups and this is what I settled on:

This is the "before" pic. Built for function, not fashion, it hauls ass and a bunch of gear but hopefully a make over will be fun for me and help Joel sell the thing.

These versions failed for one reason or another:

Thanks Joel, for letting me take a shot at this thing. I'll try to put up some updates and tech along the way.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thats cool Bill, have fun with it. I like the parts you chose. Nice and simple.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sweet sissy bar and I like the triple trees too. very clean... I do like that sissy....

Get Adobe Flash player

The new Bars, Tank, & Seat in the 1st photo are looking real good. I would stay with that setup.
    huge improvment from what you started with.
    not crazy about the oil tank though.

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice! I like blockheads, sportys and bt's.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Revelator View Post
    The new Bars, Tank, & Seat in the 1st photo are looking real good. I would stay with that setup.
    huge improvment from what you started with.
    not crazy about the oil tank though.
    I like the oil tank because it sticks with the bike's original idea of no nonsense, simple requirements. The oil filter in the tank means no filter and extra oil lines to hang somewhere on the bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

i didnt know what that was in the oil tank. damn thats a great idea! those window bars go great with that tank too. and that little lip on that rear fender adds a little "snazz". Jose likes me... heehee

NHMike

That sissy bar is fucking T I T S!

Get Adobe Flash player

i want the old gas cap

Get Adobe Flash player

looks good, I like it in the Diablo Run stage, but i know what its like to want to make it your own

Get Adobe Flash player

damm. just like everybody else that sissy bar is dope as hell. you should be proud of yourself. and i like the colors n shit. great job man.

Get Adobe Flash player

i dig the window bar set up! go for it

billdozer

For the record, Joel made that sissy bar and it's off the bike now. I'm gonna build something a little different for the bike. This was a strong unit that saw some hard miles with heavy gear strapped to it and it held up fine. If anyone likes it so much I'm sure he'd sell it off cheap.

Get Adobe Flash player

looks like super bones. wish it were mine

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by billdozer View Post
    For the record, Joel made that sissy bar and it's off the bike now. I'm gonna build something a little different for the bike. This was a strong unit that saw some hard miles with heavy gear strapped to it and it held up fine. If anyone likes it so much I'm sure he'd sell it off cheap.
    yeah just let us know if he's selling the thing. its a crowd pleaser. hahah

billdozer

Default Progress Report

Not too much to report since the teardown, but at least I got the tank friscoed and mounted today. That required cutting off the old mounts, filling the tunnel hole in the front and making up some mounts. I had an old 4130 seat hinge and mounting bung that I cut up and used for the front. Then for the rear I found some of these decorative fence bits at the local hardware store. I heated one up and bent it around a piece of scrap and welded that on. The structural part of the weld is underneath and this glob on top just fills the hole and will be smoothed out with filler.

Also made a sissy bar last week, but hated it. Me and Hal are going for lap two tomorrow on a different design. I wanted to sleeve the sissy bar into slightly larger tubing (think old road bicycle or 45 frame) but after I did it and MIG welded it I just wasn't happy. Maybe with TIG and skill you could get a small, clean enough bead but not me and my machine. I really wanted to figure out brazing anyway so after talking to my friends Caleb and JD about it last week and the dude at the welding store yesterday, I think I've figured it out. The welding guy suggested using "silver solder" for strength even though it is much more expensive. I only bought two sticks and it doesn't take much so it's worth it. I'm also going to rosette weld the sleeves on both sides too so it will have that for added strength. I did two test pieces and one of them is exposed on the bottom so I could look inside and see that the solder was drawn all the way, probably an inch and a half inside the sleeve which tells me it must have worked. I think I used a little too much flux and not quite enough o2 because the soot contaminated it a little but not too bad. I should be a little better at it tomorrow after these little lessons. Anyone got any tips on brazing steel? It was pretty close to sweating copper, just takes longer to heat thicker steel (obviously) but seemed like the same concept.

Also traded off some stuff for this 21" front with a Speedmaster that is going to replace the rusty 19" wheel. I'm going to keep the old dual disc set up, I like it and it is in keeping with the spirit of Joel's building style to have a fast bike that can actually stop well.

This doesn't really have anything to do with the bike, but I was stoked on it. Bought this old I-Beam from the scrap yard while I picking up sissy bar round stock. $12 and it weighs about 35lbs. I welded an old solid chunk onto one end so it has a Pritchel hole. This way I have something more robust to beat on and heat and bend shit on, rather than continue to torture my poor vise.

Lastly, I decided on Chumps for the bars on this bike. At least for now. They are most comfortable to me. With a sprung seat I wouldn't have to reach so far and I would have chosen the Windows, but these make sense for now.

Get Adobe Flash player

if it matters, the chumps to me keep with the look of the bike, more like a bike that can be ridden hard without jamming your nuts into your ribs on the seat.

are you going to keep with that paint?

Get Adobe Flash player

yeah chumps look cool. maybe a diff rear fender?

Get Adobe Flash player

Chumps look good. I like the fancy tank mounts too, stylish.

billdozer

Yeah, I thought about swapping the fender with an old Ford spare tire cover I've been saving but this old trailer unit has a neat little lip to it and it's nice and thick. We'll see, I may change it up again before paint.

This weekend HalWade and I built a big ol' sissy bar. We used clevises for the mounts, and sleeved them into larger tubing with a 1/2" inside diameter. Rosette welds on the sides and then silver solder brazed the 1/2" rod into the sleeves. Check the little tool we made for bending the rod once it's cherry red. It was Hal's idea and worked perfectly. This isn't a how-to, just a "how we did it" sort of thing.

Tailight by Gabe at Afterhours. I've been sitting on this thing forever just looking for the right machine to put it on.

It looks ridiculously high but it's almost exactly the same height as the top of the bars.

The McGruther wrench.

Also made a headlight mount tonight out of an old left over bung and a piece of 1/2" chromoly scrap. Not a big deal but it moved the headlight back into the trees by about 1 1/2". I'm weird about headlights sticking way out farther than needed.

BTW, I realize this is a RevTech in the American bikes forum but it's a Paughco frame and getting a HD 4-speed, so we'll consider it to fit here since there's not a Korean knock-off forum!
    Last edited by billdozer; 02-01-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Share This