Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sgilliesjr
    • Aug 2010

American Made 4 speed case?

Anyone know were I can find a good 4 speed ratchet top case? I have looked through Drag, CCI, V-Twin, Tucker Rocky, Midwest, Mid USA, J&P, with no luck. I know most of them carried STD last year but they have all dropped them because STD is no longer making them according to email correspondence with STD, yes I emailed them and that is what they told me. I also looked at the websites for S&S, Sputhe, Delkron, Jim's, and none of them make a 4 speeds any longer just a 5 into 4 according to their websites. I contacted Baker and they don't sell their cases individually just the whole tranny. I called Cal-Products and I am not sure they are even open any longer, no one ever answers or returns calls and I don't have months to wait no matter how busy they might be. Besides not returning calls is horrible customer service. The only cases I can find are Craptech, I mean Revtech, and then Taiwan Ted (V-Twin) which sell unbranded import cases. There has to be some obscure small manufacture out there who sells a descent American 4 speed case.
  • sgilliesjr
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by sgilliesjr
    Anyone know were I can find a good 4 speed ratchet top case? I have looked through Drag, CCI, V-Twin, Tucker Rocky, Midwest, Mid USA, J&P, with no luck. I know most of them carried STD last year but they have all dropped them because STD is no longer making them according to email correspondence with STD, yes I emailed them and that is what they told me. I also looked at the websites for S&S, Sputhe, Delkron, Jim's, and none of them make a 4 speeds any longer just a 5 into 4 according to their websites. I contacted Baker and they don't sell their cases individually just the whole tranny. I called Cal-Products and I am not sure they are even open any longer, no one ever answers or returns calls and I don't have months to wait no matter how busy they might be. Besides not returning calls is horrible customer service. The only cases I can find are Craptech, I mean Revtech, and then Taiwan Ted (V-Twin) which sell unbranded import cases. There has to be some obscure small manufacture out there who sells a descent American 4 speed case.

Funny I post this then a few hours later Cal Products calls, they said the case will be here friday or saterday.

Comment

• RedBeard
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by sgilliesjr
      Funny I post this then a few hours later Cal Products calls, they said the case will be here friday or saterday.

Ha ha! Of course! How much were they if you don't mind? Also you should post some pics when they come in for sure!

Comment

• sgilliesjr
        • Aug 2010

$225 plus shipping. He said he was throwing in a bearing retainer and the oversized mounting studs. Kind of funny cheaper than either Revtech or V-Twin and they are suppose to be bullet proof or so I've been told, I have no personal experience with them. Ya I will post some pics as soon as I get it.

Comment

• heretic530
          • Apr 2024

I have not tried Cal...but midwest is Ultima, and they have proven very helpful. I am still not sold on all their products, but some of their stuff is good. ... I know they have better bottom ends, in their engines then S&S (because they copied Jim's)

Comment

• bigxrdoug
            • May 2011

Being at the btm of the world I emailed cal-products 3 times and got no reply as I was after one of there cases and was told on other forums they where out of business,but this might not be true I will email them again.

Comment

• sgilliesjr
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by heretic530
              I have not tried Cal...but midwest is Ultima, and they have proven very helpful. I am still not sold on all their products, but some of their stuff is good. ... I know they have better bottom ends, in their engines then S&S (because they copied Jim's)
              Ya, I new Midwest was Ultima, I don't particularly care for any imported parts, unless there are absolutely no other suppliers. Revtech cost me a transmission and Ultima an engine I will never buy any of their products again. I was only looking at CCI and Midwest catalogs because I know a few years ago they carried STD 4 speed tranny cases. I would argue though that S&S manufactures much better products all around than any Midwest’s private label. Just because they either bought or pirated the Jim’s design doesn’t make it better that would be like saying a counterfeit Rolex is just as good as a real Rolex because they use the same design.

Originally posted by heretic530
              Being at the btm of the world I emailed cal-products 3 times and got no reply as I was after one of there cases and was told on other forums they where out of business,but this might not be true I will email them again.
              No they arn't closed unless some stranger just happen to call and know that I had left a message with them. If thats the case I just got screwed because I gave out my Credit Card info and I am suppose to see the tranny by the end of the week with any luck.

Comment

• sgilliesjr
                • Aug 2010

Here you go RedBeard! It was a very smooth transaction after finally getting a hold of them and very fast shipping. Hell I think it was Monday when I ordered it and it is now Friday.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	076(2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1258567Click image for larger version

Name:	078(2).jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1258568Click image for larger version

Name:	082(2).jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1258569Click image for larger version

Name:	083(2).jpg
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1258570Click image for larger version

Name:	084(2).jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1258571

Comment

• sgilliesjr
                  • Aug 2010

More Pics
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	085(2).jpg
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1258572Click image for larger version

Name:	086(2).jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1258573Click image for larger version

Name:	087(2).jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1258574
                  This isn't going on a race bike but it is conforting knowing that there is alot of extra strength from those ribs running down the sides, which cal-products is known for.
                  Last edited by sgilliesjr; 10-05-2012, 2:48 PM.

Comment

• bigxrdoug
                    • May 2011

Funny got an email from them 2 days ago,but thought I would wait 2 see if your one turned lol so will order my one now.

Comment

• sgilliesjr
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bigxrdoug
                      Funny got an email from them 2 days ago,but thought I would wait 2 see if your one turned lol so will order my one now.
                      Ya, once I finallly made contact with them it was really effortless. The problem is getting in touch with them. Hope it is as smooth for you as it was for me!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;