Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheRealSpinner
    • Mar 2012

Building a Springer Front End

So, I'm gonna build a springer front end for my next project, but I'm having some problems sourcing springs and spring rods. The problem is that I can't figure out what lengths to get. Does anybody have any measurements of their forks?

I need to know the length/model of the springs (uncompressed), the length of the spring rod, type of spring rod bushing, and the thickness of the spring perch.

I found this page to be a fantastic help.
  • SyndicateChoppers
    • Sep 2011

are you building one from scratch ?
    or are you rebuilding one you already have ? if so what type of springer do you have to work with ?

Comment

• TheRealSpinner
      • Mar 2012

Yeah, I'm building it from scratch. I haven't even seen one in real life, only pctures. Like I said, I've done a lot of reading on the subject, but I can't seem to find anything about sourcing the springs, spring rods. The page in the link I posted suggests to use some original spring rod bushings rather than brass bushings, as well as suggesting materials to use, but I can't find spring specs.

I've seen Paughco replacement springs, and colony spring rods, but I don't know if they go together.

Also, the thickness of the spring perch (between the upper and lower springs) and the lower spring mounts are very important since thicker would make it stiffer, and vise versa.

Comment

• Deckard43
        • Sep 2011

Seriously? You've never seen a springer in real life?

Comment

• TheRealSpinner
          • Mar 2012

Alright, I have seen a couple springers in real life. I guess what I meant was that I haven't gotten to examine one (and take measurements) up close. I understand how the work, and all that, just no practical experience.

Comment

• Tito
            • May 2010

I think that site you linked is telling you to use original spec or reproduction springs and rods to make it easy on you. That would be either colony rods and some paughco springs, both of whom make excellent products.

Although you can fit almost any springer to any bike, yes the spring rate would probably be a factor with light jap or brit bikes and full dresser garbage wagons.

Comment

• TheRealSpinner
              • Mar 2012

Anybody know a good place to pick up a set?

Comment

• schloss
                • Oct 2011

I've got a plan for a springer front. I don't know how to upload files here, or if it would be cool to do so. PM me with an email address and I can send it. It's 4 pages of very large paper. PDF type document. Should give you more ideas to get rolling on the dimensioning and such.

Comment

• TheRealSpinner
                  • Mar 2012

AWSOME! Thanks! schlos, I just sent you a message. You can check out my website while you're at it.

Comment

• schloss
                    • Oct 2011

Check your inbox.

That GS is awesome. I've always loved that tracker look with the frame over the tank, and the cosmetics look awesome.

Comment

• NeoDutch
                      • Aug 2009

Everything you need to know is on that CHB page. Buy the spring rods and springs from Colony or Paughco.

Comment

• Gnarly
                        • Jul 2012

That link rocks

Comment

• ODBean
                          • Nov 2011

Chb

Thats a great link. Doesn't really seem like you need to look any further. Purchase the springs and rods from the mentioned suppliers and get building. Good luck, post pics of the project when you get started and thanks for that link.

Comment

• SacredSteel63
                            • Dec 2011

Bitter End Old School Choppers can help you out with the parts. They also have a kit that you can build your own with.

Comment

• pop
                              • Apr 2011

heres the best in parts... http://www.flatlandmotorcyclecompany...-Prodlist.html . building a spring is quite easy if you have the tools and the understanding of trail

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;