Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calicruiser
    • Aug 2009

GOOD to GREAT results can be achieved using minimal tools and a not so ideal work space (garage). I have seen MANY good paint jobs come off cheap guns and they were done in a typical garage or even outside (like they did it in the 70's!) That being said, I bought a good gun a while back (sata minijet 1.2 tip) and that thing is 1000% better than any gun I have ever used. Amazing difference and it only cost me $250 which is a good price in the grand scheme of things. If you have a good idea of what you are doing and the process that needs to be followed you can achieve good results! Alittle bit of luck helps too.

Comment

• goodcitizen
      • Jan 2011

So I used this thread to flake out my sportster tank, came out awesome. I know nothing about auto painting so it was cool to see it turn out good. Here is what I did,

1)sand my old tank till there was no shine in the paint
      2)sprayed black napa primer out of the can till
      3) bought 5 star xtreme clear and the hardener
      4) mixed the two and added 2 tea spoons of tcp gold flake
      5) set my cheap ass gun to 40 and sprayed until I thought it has enough flake (12 minutes between coats)
      6) wait a day and let it dry
      7)added 2 more coats of just clear
      8)waited a day
      9) wet sanded with 2000 till the entire tank felt smooth to the touch
      10) compounded it with a dirty old sock and polished it with a different dirty old sock.

And that all
      ChopCult is the online mecca for motorcycle enthusiasts, with active, content-rich forums covering all makes and models of motorcycles, exclusive articles.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Bonsai
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by goodcitizen
        So I used this thread to flake out my sportster tank, came out awesome. I know nothing about auto painting so it was cool to see it turn out good. Here is what I did,

1)sand my old tank till there was no shine in the paint
        2)sprayed black napa primer out of the can till
        3) bought 5 star xtreme clear and the hardener
        4) mixed the two and added 2 tea spoons of tcp gold flake
        5) set my cheap ass gun to 40 and sprayed until I thought it has enough flake (12 minutes between coats)
        6) wait a day and let it dry
        7)added 2 more coats of just clear
        8)waited a day
        9) wet sanded with 2000 till the entire tank felt smooth to the touch
        10) compounded it with a dirty old sock and polished it with a different dirty old sock.

And that all
        http://www.chopcult.com/forum/attach...1&d=1334761843
        Where's the close up? ;^)

Comment

• goodcitizen
          • Jan 2011

Here is a close up when it was over cast outside, when the light hit the flake its almost blinding. But for never ever painting anything with a gun. I am super pumped, I got a estimate at a local auto body shop, they said they would do it for $400.
          Attached Files

Comment

• TyroninFXR
            • Sep 2011

Noice!!

Comment

• bafcms
              • Jan 2012

what a great bike

Comment

• MadDog
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by schwem11
                Trying to paint my own tank but i seriously don't have the funds to go out and buy a complete set up. Anybody have any suggestions as to any good airless sprayers i can buy? all in one packages? in philly.

Get a spray gun for $14 at Harbor Freight, and you should be able to find a compressor cheap.

Comment

• SoNorthCustoms
                  • Dec 2010

I was motivated by this thread this spring. I set up an old easy-up in the shop, because it was too cold to paint outside. Did the plastic and filter trick, with an exhaust fan blowing the fumes out a walk in door. Very low budget paint job and I think it came out great.

After the body work, I used duplicolor high build primer. Then I laid down a silver base, glitter blast gold flake, then metal X gold/yellow candy. All of the color and flake was spray bomb. After I had the flake down, I buried it with a urethane clear using a harbor freight spray gun. Waited a day, blocked it out and taped off the scallop design. Then laid down a very dark charcoal metallic for the scallop base color. Let that flash off, then wrapped in lace and sprayed some black. A few more coats of urethane clear, wetsand and polished it out.

Turned out pretty damn good for what it is. Most people see it and don't believe that it's rattle can. By the way, this was my first time ever using a spray gun also.

In the sun this thing has crazy sparkle. And the lace turned out just how I wanted. From 5-10 feet away the scallop just looks black, but when the sun catches it, you can just see the lace.

Comment

• goodcitizen
                    • Jan 2011

That tank looks rad, here is my sportster tank I did, by reading this thread.
                    Sporty

Comment

• mac77
                      • Apr 2013

fucking badass on the gold with the rose temp.

4 hr job... sick tho rite?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• mac77
                        • Apr 2013

bought the green. 2012 camaro synergy green.. used hok marbelizer. i work in a body shop so when the boss was gone.. creeped into the paint shop. based it with violet. etc.. yup
                        Attached Files

Comment

• mac77
                          • Apr 2013

said and done.. cost me $6 for the green. plus the hok intercoat and marbleizer. gottaaa have intercoat clear.

Comment

• josemadre13
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by bikerman14
                            holy shit, I was not expecting this amazing paint job when i clicked on this article, wow cool info for sure.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;