Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bforbes
    • Jan 2010

TECH: Paint Without Spending A Fortune

Right now is not the time to be spending a ton of dough, so after thinking a lot about it, i decided to save some money and paint my tins myself. I took a trip to my local paint store and picked up some HOK supplies, and got to work. This is my first time picking up a spray gun by the way.

doing the bodywork wasn't too painful. the welds were good, and the tank was fairly straight, even after all the cutting and welding. I used 2K high build rattle can primer as suggested by sure. its about $15 per can, and i used an entire can for both the tank and the fender.

i dug out my old easy-up tent that was about to be tossed in the trash, put up some painters plastic, and used paper drop cloth for the floor. cut a hole in one side of the plastic and duct taped an air conditioning filter over it, and did the same on the opposite wall with a floor fan. about $30 in plastic and a $3 filter.

i took a trip to Rays Auto Paint, and spent $150 on black base, clear, hardener, reducer, a few filters, and some tape.

now, i know that a really nice gun is well worth the money you spend on it, but i used a gun my dad picked up on sale at northern tool last year for under $20. it came with a 1.4 tip, and since i dont know the difference between this and a pricey pro model, i'd say this was the perfect tool for my budget paint job. the compressor i used is a small home garage model, nothing special.

laid down a base that i mixed at 1:1 paint/reducer. i only mixed enough to fill my hopper half full, and that was too much. i wouldnt mix too much at a time because you'll end up having to dump it. i keep all of my unused or old chemicals until the mobile chem recycler comes to my neck of the woods. they're always happy to take it, and it keeps it out of the gutter.

• bforbes
    • Jan 2010

i only ended up using the 1/4 plastic tape for my lines. i still may use the 1/8 stuff when i start the graphic work.

this was the coolest part. the clear mixes at 4:1 with the hardener, and the flake can be as heavy or as light as you want, depending on how much you add in. for half a hopper of the clearcoat/hardener, i added about 3 teaspoons of the flake, and it came out nice and heavy. its the small size flake, and they recommend a 1.5 tip, but my 1.4 worked just fine.

This ended up being a 2 day job, but im sure it could have been quicker if i wasnt drinking beer with my brother all day while trying to get this done, but wheres the fun in that.
    im going to wet-sand and re-apply the clear so i can get going with the graphics. i'll update with some pics in a few days.

**EDIT**

Today we wet sanded the clear coat with 1000 grit paper, cleaned the tank and applied a couple more layers of clear coat from about 6 inches away. these pix were taken after a couple hours of drying.

i got on the computer and made a stencil so i could get going on the scales...

i bought a bottle of gold auto/air-brush paint and a bottle of reducer. $14 total, and re-masked the tank so i dont muff it up with over spray.

Comment

• bforbes
      • Jan 2010

this is where a good quality air-brush comes in handy. again, this was my first time picking up an air-brush, so i expected it to come out a little sloppy. it took a couple hours to do the tank and fender.

im gonna knock the scales down a bit before i re-clear. i'll update tomorrow...

just about done...

Brian

Comment

• bforbes
        • Jan 2010

Comment

• Motorradfahrer
          • Aug 2009

Great write up! Thanks!

Comment

• tobiism
            • Aug 2009

Sweet, thats pretty damn helpful! Thanks!

Comment

• ridemore16
              • Oct 2009

awesome job...I'm debating whether or not I should try and tackle the paint job on my first build.

Comment

• TwistyMcFisty
                • Aug 2009

Hell yeah, man. Tins look kick-ass. Color scheme really compliments the bike. Looks like you might have a new side job.

Comment

• Lbfam730
                  • Nov 2009

that is genius!

Comment

• bforbes
                    • Jan 2010

thanks for the props. i was pretty worried going into this that i would f it all up. i got advise along the way from some great painters that kept me on course.

Comment

• wickedblockhead
                      • Aug 2009

you really did a great job, man. AND you made it look easy, so now were all going to try it!

Comment

• Twinkies
                        • Aug 2009

am I missing something?
                        wasnt this bike featured in the Horse months ago with a skinny kid with glasses and a mohawk?
                        regardless, the paint turned out awesome.. and those exhaust tips are the shit.
                        Cool paint booth.. I made the mistake of throwing plastic up in my shed without blowing
                        all the dust out of it first before painting.. lesson learned!

Comment

• bforbes
                          • Jan 2010

i posted this "how to" a while ago elsewhere, and since im new to this forum, i wanted to share it here. the guy with the mohawk was jake from ultraviolence, where my bike was built. his metal fab skills are crazy! he was shot with my bike for the horse.
                          i was going for this nautical theme for my bike "the flying dutchman", and i found those carousel pipes at my local metal yard and thought they fit the bill.

Comment

• Twinkies
                            • Aug 2009

right on, welcome to CC!
                            That bike turned out killer.. wish my first attempt at a professional paint job turned out half as well as yours did!

Comment

• bforbes
                              • Jan 2010

thanks man!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;