Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 40whacks
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Jetblack
    Taping off in a circle can be a pain in the , then you have to shield the tire with some shit for over spray. There's an easier way, to kill two birds with one stone for the lazy bastards like me; that don't want to strip the tire off the rim. The picture should be self explanatory.

Finished example:

Absolute genius

Comment

• Wolfie
      • Apr 2024

Kind of a misleading post, as you painted the rims, not the tires, lol....meanwhile, this past winter, when I was housebound due to disabilities, I painted my tires....whitewalls...not as easy to do as with your rim trick....but I like yer idea !
      I was hopin to get slapped in the face with an easier way to do it than I did...I made templates, and painted 1/4 at a time....PITA !....next season I will have new Shinko WW tires, lol....tire paint dont last....

Comment

• rus
        • Aug 2009

could have made some sort of stand, so the wheel could spin horizontal to the ground, give the tire a quick spin and press the brush down. with a relatively steady hand and some good paint you just made a perfect circle.

Comment

• Wolfie
          • Apr 2024

I thought about that....powered by a belt sander against the tire....but hell, man, Im almost 60 with a lotta disabilities....lol....Im gettin WW Shinkos for spring....I had my cabin fever fun....lasted 3000 miles....Im happy....

...I used that Krylon plastic and vinyl paint.....tested it first on some old truck tires, worked great....but my bike tires, I used to spray em with TireShine....tried acetone, laquer thinner to remove....shit's just embedded....so I sanded the sidewall....helped a lot, just wasnt enough when my one carb float stuck and I was pissin gas outta my pod right onto it on the way to Laconia, lol....oh well...was an experiment....live and learn eh, even at my age....

Comment

• Jetblack
            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Wolfie
            Kind of a misleading post, as you painted the rims, not the tires, lol....meanwhile, this past winter, when I was housebound due to disabilities, I painted my tires....whitewalls...not as easy to do as with your rim trick....but I like yer idea !
            I was hopin to get slapped in the face with an easier way to do it than I did...I made templates, and painted 1/4 at a time....PITA !....next season I will have new Shinko WW tires, lol....tire paint dont last....
            Fixed.

Thanks for pointing that out, I probably wasn't tea totaling that day.

Yeah what rus said spin the tire to paint on whitewalls, I've been told Ranger tire paint the sellers of sidewall paint is just re-branded killz paint marked up 400% so anyone looking at that stuff just go to the hardware store instead.

Comment

• davidabl
              • Nov 2009

White plastidip for D.I.Y. whitewalls?

Comment

• Jetblack
                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by davidabl
                White plastidip for D.I.Y. whitewalls?
                Maybe... there's probably a youtube video of someone doing it if it's been done.

Comment

• Wolfie
                  • Apr 2024

I probably wasn't tea totaling that day.
                  Whats tea ?....lolol.....

But hay....really on that Killz shit ????....Im a senile headcase, so Im willing to try, lol.....I mean, wtf ?....New Shinko front WW is like $68, rear is like $72....Killz is like $12/gal ?....oh yeah....more beer fer Wolfie....gettin a Harbor Freight bike jack soon, oh yeah, I can see this...."Man suffocates when face gets coated with Killz paint".....I best get some vodka when I try this....

Hay...ya never know if ya dont try....right ?....thats where all innovations come from.....and Im crazy enough to try anything....

Comment

• punkrod
                    • Jul 2011

Vaseline is also good for masking difficult shapes and things that tape won't stick to.

Comment

• gray
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by punkrod
                      Vaseline is also good for masking difficult shapes and things that tape won't stick to.
                      Yep. I have used this method many times. There are a lot of wheel/tire combos where cards just wont fit.

Comment

• Jetblack
                        • Apr 2024

Whats tea ?....lolol.....

But hay....really on that Killz shit ????....Im a senile headcase, so Im willing to try, lol.....I mean, wtf ?....New Shinko front WW is like $68, rear is like $72....Killz is like $12/gal ?....oh yeah....more beer fer Wolfie....gettin a Harbor Freight bike jack soon, oh yeah, I can see this...."Man suffocates when face gets coated with Killz paint".....I best get some vodka when I try this....

Hay...ya never know if ya dont try....right ?....thats where all innovations come from.....and Im crazy enough to try anything....
                        Someone disgruntled at the Ranger company blew the whistle that, that's what it is. I've heard that the best shit to use, having researched painting on whitewalls before... is line marker paint they use for the lines in parking lots. If anyone scoffs at painting them on, painted on whitewalls goes back to hotrodding in the 50's.

There's another option... Port-a-walls those things have been around a long time too.

Edit to add: Oh, I forgot that white rubberized roof sealer is supposed to be really really good, but since it's not a spray you have to spin it on too.
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-25-2013, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• davidabl
                          • Nov 2009

Kind of a misleading post, as you painted the rims, not the tires, .I made templates, and painted 1/4 at a time....PITA !....next season I will have new Shinko WW tires, lol....tire paint dont last....
                          I was thinking the same thing..I've seen pix of H.-D. with a pair of thin ww stripes on the rear, a single narrow ww stripe (or yellow) up front. I'd like to be able do it (or the wideWW in back narrow ww up front)

Have to figure out an efficient way to do the masking. And then brush on that Plastidip stuff that people make tool handles with. It seems stickier than the Plastidip sprays.

I've also thought about just painting narrow white stripes on the lips of the rims :-)

Comment

• Jetblack
                            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by davidabl
                            I was thinking the same thing..I've seen pix of H.-D. with a pair of thin ww stripes on the rear, a single narrow ww stripe (or yellow) up front. I'd like to be able do it (or the wideWW in back narrow ww up front)

Have to figure out an efficient way to do the masking. And then brush on that Plastidip stuff that people make tool handles with. It seems stickier than the Plastidip sprays.

I've also thought about just painting narrow white stripes on the lips of the rims :-)
                            If you need to mask at the rim, for the tire... deflate the tire and run the sticky edge of tape along the upper edge of the rim that way it follows the circle of the rim naturally instead of trying to finesse around it like pinstripe taping.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;