CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Jetblack

Default How to: Paint a rim without removing the tire

Taping off in a circle can be a pain in the , then you have to shield the tire with some shit for over spray. There's an easier way, to kill two birds with one stone for the lazy bastards like me; that don't want to strip the tire off the rim. The picture should be self explanatory.

Finished example:

turboboat

digging the color combo

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Red wheels.

Nice.

Pretty cool shortcut

Get Adobe Flash player

awesome shortcut. I'll be doing this this winter

Get Adobe Flash player

OK, wheres the shortcut for taping off wire spokes?!

Get Adobe Flash player

You can also use index cards or Post-its if you don't want to lose a good deck.

As for taping off spokes, if you're actually painting the spokes and not the wheel, take about a 2" x 2" piece of tape, cut it the center and put a hole punch dead center. It'll slip right over the spoke and nipple and then you can just tape off the rest of the wheel.

For taping off individual spokes I would wrap them in newspaper, then just tape the tops and bottoms.

Jetblack

Thanks,
    yeah as far as spokes make sure your wheel is true and just paint those fuckers too haha. The color scheme is black and orange, but I can see how it would look red. I just tossed a start of my build thread over on the Japanese board; if you want to see more...

Get Adobe Flash player

Right on, that's cool. Thanks for the tech.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Moto4fun View Post
    OK, wheres the shortcut for taping off wire spokes?!
    use drinking straws with a slit cut long ways. This allows you to slip them right over the spoke.

Get Adobe Flash player

Excellent tip, Jet. Thanks for taking the time to pass it along.

I've used vaseline on hard to mask places I don't want paint like spokes, etc. No vaseline jokes, please...

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice tips here. Vaseline, drinking straws and playing cards. Not just for bachelorette parties anymore.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by mrkil View Post
    use drinking straws with a slit cut long ways. This allows you to slip them right over the spoke.
    Brilliant!

Jetblack

Smarter not harder is definitely one of my favorite things to ponder when trying to figure shit out. Glad it's inspiring people; because busting beads etc. once they are already on is a pain in the ass, or wallet so it turns into a "well the next time I get tires" things.

No excuses now Thanks for adding idea's to expand on it fellas, nice group effort to solve a common problem.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good to know. I'll be using these tips when I touch up the paint on my wheels so I don't fuck up my whitewalls.

Thanks, gents

Get Adobe Flash player

so many good ideas! thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Jetblack View Post
    Taping off in a circle can be a pain in the , then you have to shield the tire with some shit for over spray. There's an easier way, to kill two birds with one stone for the lazy bastards like me; that don't want to strip the tire off the rim. The picture should be self explanatory.

Finished example:

Absolute genius

Wolfie

Kind of a misleading post, as you painted the rims, not the tires, lol....meanwhile, this past winter, when I was housebound due to disabilities, I painted my tires....whitewalls...not as easy to do as with your rim trick....but I like yer idea !
    I was hopin to get slapped in the face with an easier way to do it than I did...I made templates, and painted 1/4 at a time....PITA !....next season I will have new Shinko WW tires, lol....tire paint dont last....

Get Adobe Flash player

could have made some sort of stand, so the wheel could spin horizontal to the ground, give the tire a quick spin and press the brush down. with a relatively steady hand and some good paint you just made a perfect circle.

Wolfie

I thought about that....powered by a belt sander against the tire....but hell, man, Im almost 60 with a lotta disabilities....lol....Im gettin WW Shinkos for spring....I had my cabin fever fun....lasted 3000 miles....Im happy....

...I used that Krylon plastic and vinyl paint.....tested it first on some old truck tires, worked great....but my bike tires, I used to spray em with TireShine....tried acetone, laquer thinner to remove....shit's just embedded....so I sanded the sidewall....helped a lot, just wasnt enough when my one carb float stuck and I was pissin gas outta my pod right onto it on the way to Laconia, lol....oh well...was an experiment....live and learn eh, even at my age....

Jetblack

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Kind of a misleading post, as you painted the rims, not the tires, lol....meanwhile, this past winter, when I was housebound due to disabilities, I painted my tires....whitewalls...not as easy to do as with your rim trick....but I like yer idea !
    I was hopin to get slapped in the face with an easier way to do it than I did...I made templates, and painted 1/4 at a time....PITA !....next season I will have new Shinko WW tires, lol....tire paint dont last....
    Fixed.

Thanks for pointing that out, I probably wasn't tea totaling that day.

Yeah what rus said spin the tire to paint on whitewalls, I've been told Ranger tire paint the sellers of sidewall paint is just re-branded killz paint marked up 400% so anyone looking at that stuff just go to the hardware store instead.

Share This