picked up a 77 shovel today. Any tip, advise, tech info?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bkrtrsh
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by purerockfury
    mine was the same, like you said between fixing the play in the shifter and adjusting the clutch took care of it. mines easy to shift now but still a little "clunky" when down shifting i've been told it's typical...looking into a rivera pro clutch, they're expensive but have been told by a number of people it's night and day compared to the stock set up, makes shifting nice and smooth...
    Yepper. Smooth AND spendy. You'll like it!

Comment

• Jeff71
      • Feb 2010

Hey fellas, took the shovel out for my first real ride today. Still need to adjust the clutch. I can feel it dragging when at a stop in gear. But besides that, holy shit I like it. It's like a Cadillac riding down the road. Fuckin' stoked on it. Totaly glad i got it over the sporty that I looked at.

Comment

• ARBY
        • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Jeff71
        after alot of himming and hawwing, I finally made up my alledged mind and bought a Shovelhead. Just want to get some advise, tech tips, and general knowledge about them, as this is my first Harley. Thanks.
        You got the best year for Shovelheads. Enjoy it.

Comment

• Jeff71
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by ARBY
          You got the best year for Shovelheads. Enjoy it.
          Really? I had heard somewhere that Harley had re-tooled in 76, so all the tolerances are closer and everything fits together better and they"re put together better.

Comment

• ARBY
            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Jeff71
            Really? I had heard somewhere that Harley had re-tooled in 76, so all the tolerances are closer and everything fits together better and they"re put together better.
            You heard right.

Take care of it, don't beat on it and you'll have it a long time.

Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2012, 6:52 PM.

Comment

• Garagebuilt58FLH
              • Sep 2012

I owned a 77 FLH looked very close to what you just bought. LOVED IT! Ride the hell out of it, and enjoy every second. Had to sell to feed family, but still have my Pan at least....you will get a lot of help here or on shovelhead US or jackaroo...same site. great shovel knowledge on jackaroo.

If you take care of her....she will give you many years of good riding.....

Lee FTW

Comment

• snoosky
                • Aug 2009

Its definitely a shovelhead, look at all that leaky oil!!!

Comment

• Jeff71
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by snoosky
                  Its definitely a shovelhead, look at all that leaky oil!!!
                  Haha! No, most of that came from the Cm450 or my truck. but I'm sure the shovel will leave it's mark.

Comment

• bobscogin
                    • Jun 2011

picked up a 77 shovel today. Any tip, advise, tech info?

Well, I remember what Tennessee Ernie Ford sang about doing when he picked up his shovel in the song "Sixteen Tons":
                    "I picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine".

Bob

Comment

• Friday
                      • Sep 2012

thats pretty much the last of the ratchet lid 4 speeds with the cast shifter cam... next came the
                      78 1/2 and then the rotary /castle top box year later.

shovels rule ,I got 1 17 years ago . the weakest point in the box is the throw out wafer bearing, can get a kit that reverts to the older cone bearing .
                      if you peek inside the oil filler plug youll see if it has a wafer bearing .

pans are a pretty engine but shovel is an improvement , people piss on them because of the quality failure and union stuff going on in the 70s.
                      the bike it self is good stuff. improvements came in the form of Evo but hey that things been replaced

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;