Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • revmike
    • Nov 2009

helmet rebuild - foam liners - gentex

Hey guys, I know we've booted this question around and I might have come upon an answer. Wondering if anyone tried this.

When I took apart my old helmet. I took off the plastic trim and the core just slid out. Nothing more than a styrofoam insert forming the helmet that the cloth and foam liner was literally masking taped to. So, I got to thinking, there must be some styrofoam type inserts available, and I found that there are surplus replacements for flight helmets and ballistic helmets. Gentex is the most common manufacturer. Theirs looks like this:

Gentex

They seem to go for about 50 to 70 bucks new, if you can find them

I also found these:

Unissued, manuf unknown.

These go for 25 bucks for mediums and 35 for larger...

Supposedly there is a liner to go inside these.

These are called TPL liners - thermoplastic preformed liner or some such shit. Has a kind of bubble wrap cushion inside a removeable sock. This goes between the head and the styrofoam. These run about 60 to 80 bucks.

I dunno if ANY of this shit would work for us. I figure the styro would be pretty easy to shape down to conform to the inside of the helmet. But ??? and the TPL things may work for anyone who is relining a helmet with the original styro core or what ever it is...

Just some thoughts.... IDEAS??

~Rev Mike
  • whoknows
    • Feb 2011

The Gentex EPS white foam liner in out of a helicopter helmet. The TPL liner is one you can custom fit to your head. You take the sock off and bake in an oven @ 200 for 10 min. Then you put it on your head and put the helmet on over it and let it cool. A perfect custom fit.

Comment

• shanebo
      • Nov 2009

Sounds like someone is trying to make a cheap ass helmet REAL expensive.

Comment

• altshovel
        • Mar 2010

The TPL liner looks good and it has a cloth cover you can remove and wash. For 80 bucks in a Buco, that's a deal and it looks like it would conform to DOT and Snell (?) I have two to reline.

Comment

• Wooley
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by revmike
          Hey guys, I know we've booted this question around and I might have come upon an answer. Wondering if anyone tried this.

When I took apart my old helmet. I took off the plastic trim and the core just slid out. Nothing more than a styrofoam insert forming the helmet that the cloth and foam liner was literally masking taped to. So, I got to thinking, there must be some styrofoam type inserts available, and I found that there are surplus replacements for flight helmets and ballistic helmets. Gentex is the most common manufacturer. Theirs looks like this:

Gentex

They seem to go for about 50 to 70 bucks new, if you can find them

I also found these:

Unissued, manuf unknown.

These go for 25 bucks for mediums and 35 for larger...

Supposedly there is a liner to go inside these.

These are called TPL liners - thermoplastic preformed liner or some such shit. Has a kind of bubble wrap cushion inside a removeable sock. This goes between the head and the styrofoam. These run about 60 to 80 bucks.

I dunno if ANY of this shit would work for us. I figure the styro would be pretty easy to shape down to conform to the inside of the helmet. But ??? and the TPL things may work for anyone who is relining a helmet with the original styro core or what ever it is...

Just some thoughts.... IDEAS??

~Rev Mike
          That's good information to have. But I do wonder if the helmet mfgs can supply new liners, surely they can as helmet styles change but a liner it'self can't change that much from one lid to another...can it? Anyone know the answer

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;