X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Libertysam
    • Jul 2012

Hard tail, wheel and front end combo selection

Hey guys

Thought I'd start a thread on who's got some good and not so good combination recommendations (and photos if possible) for anyone who's looking at putting a hard tail, new front end and new wheel configuration on their bike.
  • MRB
    • Jun 2010

Hey,
    Now you now the differance between CC and JJ. Much less stressfull on this side.

MRB

Comment

• Libertysam
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by MRB
      Hey,
      Now you now the differance between CC and JJ. Much less stressfull on this side.

MRB
      HAHA ohh duuude!!!

Comment

• RetroRob
        • Oct 2011

Saw you question and the flack you took for it over there.
        I tried to find out all I could before I bought my hard tail. I have 4" stretch 2 1/2 " drop factory metal works tail. Exactly the stance I was looking for. The front end is a stock prewar Triumph girder. Wheels are 18 rear 19 front. Tires are 4.5 wide rear, 4 front firestones. Seat has 2" high springs . All this matters to get the correct look and stance. Get it right and your half way to a great looking bike.

Welcome to the Site.
        Last edited by RetroRob; 08-19-2012, 11:42 PM.

Comment

• Libertysam
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by RetroRob
          Saw you question and the flack you took for it over there.
          I tried to find out all I could before I bought my hard tail. I have 4" stretch 2 1/2 " drop factory metal works tail. Exactly the stance I was looking for. The front end is a stock prewar Triumph girder. Wheels are 18 rear 19 front. Tires are 4.5 wide rear, 4 front firestones. Seat has 2" high springs . All this matters to get the correct look and stance. Get it right and your half way to a great looking bike.

Welcome to the Site.
          yeah its all good, you gotta be prepared to cop flack for anything over the internet.
          Although that isn't the direction i want to head with this bike, that is such a nice build brother! how does a bike like this feel to ride?
          thanks a lot!

Comment

• SNOT275
            • Jun 2013

This thread should have more contribution to it, I feel... Could be such a good library for those looking to build, yet are having issues figuring out how to get that stance they're looking for... Myself included.

Comment

• fightclub
              • Oct 2009

im with Retrorob, stance is the most important aspect of buid IMO . My Trump has a 6 inch stretch 16 rear 19 front ,not sure of drop in hardtail Front end dropped about 3 inches. I just stopped at Lucas's shop at TFMW ,having him build me a 4 inch stretch 3 in drop . Just want to change things up a bit .

Comment

• Sky
                • Aug 2009

Ok I've got a stock '63 front loop de-tabbed a bit. W/a hardtail section found on the roof of an old Ducati shop in SD, didn't measure the swingarm so Idk the stretch/drop. W a 16 it was like three inches from the ground. Put an 18r/19f and the trees are from a intruder? Legs from a Honda? Wheels from Suzuki. This defames it about two degrees. Almost too nimble, but works well w/ narrow bars. And that 18 mag gives her some much needed ground clearance. Oh yea, and I cut the triangle axle plates to weld in ex softail ones. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375326385.486657.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	1267847

Comment

• backwithabang
                  • May 2011

I have had the most trouble with this current build and I still don't like it, but it's more of what I have to use than what I can just outright buy because I'm not keeping this anyway. But anyway it's sort of sitting how I want it. I really need a different rear tire to balance it out. But the specs are Santee frame with what seems to be a 5 plus stretch I don't know the drop off hand. I also have never had a DNA springer before but the guy I traded with says it was a -2. But those are most likely Harley specs.. front wheel is a 19 off an fx with a 4.0 NOS yokohama which I absolutely wanted to use for this build but it's what is making it difficult to look right to me at the same time. 16 rear with what I think is a 3.5 but it definitely needs a beefier threaded 5.0 to make it "work"
                  Attached Files

Comment

• buzzkilr
                    • Sep 2009

JJ Refugee Too

HaHa I'm on JJ too but haven't had any bad experiences there yet. I too am struggling with the look for my 70 650 chop. I have a TFMW hardtail that has a 5" stretch and 0 Drop. I installed it and it just isn't getting it for me. Now I'm wondering about maybe a 4" with 1.5" Drop or maybe a 3" stretch with a similar drop. I'm running a 18 rear tire, 39mm XL forks, and a 21" up front. I'd like good ground clearance and a hardtail that follows the angle of the Triumph backbone.

PS Its wild how Fightclubs 6" hardtail looks soo much longer than RetroRobs 4" stretch.. ?????

Comment

• Torch
                      • Jul 2009

I've always felt that 4 over 2 down is the standard hard tail configuration,

I never liked all the blank area behind the engine on a 6" stretch hard tail especially if you go with a "no battery" setup.

Comment

• backwithabang
                        • May 2011

Originally posted by Torch
                        I've always felt that 4 over 2 down is the standard hard tail configuration,

I never liked all the blank area behind the engine on a 6" stretch hard tail especially if you go with a "no battery" setup.
                        yea i have a luggage compartment on mine up there

Comment

• KustomCandy
                          • Jul 2013

Those first two sicles are the foundation imo. Retro's is just Nuts, Thats one fine looking machine.
                          Subscribed

Dan

Comment

• SNOT275
                            • Jun 2013

This thread should be brought back to life...

Comment

• fightclub
                              • Oct 2009

This is my last mock up. As Tony said , after running the 6" stretch with no battery I got tired of the big gap between my vertical oil tank and rear fender. Well one things always leads to another so I went from a 16 to an18 rear and will be running a 21spoolf ront wheel. As soon as I get new axlem archived I will post with the 21. Mounted You can see already a drastic difference.

photo unnamed16_zpseac5a7be.jpg

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;