Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • livingdeadmc
    • Apr 2024

But for real...other than one show Ive never not placed. This is from the hammer in hand show this year...my XS was one of two jap bikes there...the rest were harleys. Do I make bikes to get trophies NOPE! but they sure look good in my shop.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Demoto
      • May 2011

One of the main issues I see with Jap bikes is that they are cheap, so folks build them like they're cheap (i.e. cheaply). There's no harm in that, and truth be told, cheap bikes are often the bikes you have the most fun on. But if you want to win a show, you gotta put in one of two things: Time, or Money. Bolt ons win because honestly, seeing $40,000 worth of hexavalent chrome strapped to an engine and frame is impressive, in that same way that anything over-the-top is impressive.

I saw the sohc4 pictured above at a show. It is actually a CB550 with cylinder block rotated 90 degrees and the entire crank case custom made to turn it into an in-line four with a shaft drive transmission coming out the back. It's 90% custom fabricated. I think I stared at it until my wife literally told me she was bored and wanted to move on (and she's one of the most patient people I know). The craftsmanship that went into it was astounding.

That being said, a Harley chop can put a quarter of that effort into a build and still take first place. It's not fair that we should have to work four times harder to get the same recognition. But I'll tell you what it is: A challenge.

Now go build the most awesome Jap motorcycle the world has ever seen. And Harley guys, I expect you to be pushing the bar even as we race after it. Whatever you make, make it well.
      Last edited by Demoto; 08-14-2012, 12:47 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;