Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Libertysam
    • Jul 2012

Heads a troublin' me

Purchased a 68 triumph bonnie off a fella interstate a few months back. he couldn't get it started and didn't know the issue so i got it cheap, had it shipped down and got it to turn over and run like a pig. rebuilt the carby and had it running really nicely a few days ago and took it for its first little squirt around the block a few times that night. The next day i noticed that there was oil spattered over the front of the primary and found it was leaking from the bottom of the pushrod. when i started it, an alarming amount of white smoke was coming from the exhausts (more from one than the other) increased throttle created more smoke and warmth to the motor only slightly reduced it, if at all. its been converted to a single carb head so I'm wondered if its a bonky job and I'm getting oil in places it shouldn't be, but this is waaayyy outta my league so if anyone has any wealth on this sorta matter id be stoked to hear from ya!
    cheers!
    Last edited by Libertysam; 08-10-2012, 8:23 PM.
  • Torch
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Libertysam
    Purchased a 68 triumph bonnie off a fella interstate a few months back. he couldn't get it started and didn't know the issue so i got it cheap, had it shipped down and got it to turn over and run like a pig. rebuilt the carby and had it running really nicely a few days ago and took it for its first little squirt around the block a few times that night. The next day i noticed that there was oil spattered over the front of the primary and found it was leaking from the bottom of the pushrod. when i started it, an alarming amount of white smoke was coming from the exhausts (more from one than the other) increased throttle created more smoke and warmth to the motor only slightly reduced it, if at all. its been converted to a single carb head so I'm wondered if its a bonky job and I'm getting oil in places it shouldn't be, but this is waaayyy outta my league so if anyone has any wealth on this sorta matter id be stoked to hear from ya!
    cheers!
    it sounds like your engine is oil sumped, it will clear up as it runs,all the oil goes drains down into the engine. and if you added oil to it you now may have have too much oil in the tank,
    if this keeps happening you may need to pull the oil pump, clean it and re-seat the check valves.

Comment

• Libertysam
      • Jul 2012

thanks for your reply man, haven't touched the oil, what would attribute to the leaking pushrod tubes and oil spatter though? just started it up again and theres a definite blue tint to the smoke now!

Comment

• starwolf
        • Apr 2024

leaking pushrod tubes, are most likely going to be caused by faulty pushrod tube seals/gaskets,
        I won't even attempt to say anything about blue smoke, just woke up, too early for my brain.

Oil on the front of the Primary, may be due to it escaping out of the clutch cable abutment. I'm not sure if this is an issue on Singles or Twins, but on the Triple it is a known issue, and can be solved by installing a small piece of tubing around the cable, inside the case, above the clutch lifting mechanism, and below where the cable comes through the case. Though it has to be a precise length,and diameter as not to obstruct clutch operation. Of course the clutch on a Triple vs. a Single or Twin, ...is VERY different, and this "fix" most likely will not be applicable to your machine.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2012, 4:54 AM.

Comment

• Pete60
          • Jul 2012

The oil leak around the pushrod tubes could be coming from the O-ring on the exhaust tappet-block,or it could be coming from pushrod tube seals above the tappet blocks.
          Make sure the carb is jetted for a single-carb engine.Main jet should be about 230,needle clip on 2nd groove.The needle should have 2 scribed rings above the clip grooves,and the 106 needle-jet should be cross-drilled with a 0.035" hole.

There are plenty of things that can cause exhaust smoke.If the crankcase is flooded with oil it will happen.If the return oil pump is working properly,it will go away after a few minutes when the oil level goes down.Check for oil return at the tank when the engine is running.Run a hose from the oil tank breather into a jar of water.The hose should be blowing bubbles in the water when the engine is running.

Comment

• RetroRob
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Pete60
            .Run a hose from the oil tank breather into a jar of water.The hose should be blowing bubbles in the water when the engine is running.
            Very Cool tip, I'll got to try this, maybe I can mount a small jar of dish soap on the hardtail and blow bubbles as I smoke the back tire.

Comment

• Libertysam
              • Jul 2012

Cheers for all the replies!
              I just had a thought if both pushrod tubes are leaking top and bottom could it possibly be under torqued bolts causing the issues?

Comment

• redasphalt3
                • Sep 2009

do you have a side stand and is it smoking out of the left pipe?

Comment

• Libertysam
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by redasphalt3
                  do you have a side stand and is it smoking out of the left pipe?
                  yeah man - just pulling the engine apart now. only pulled the pipes off so far but theres a fairly alarming amount of oily goo in there. the valves look black too (its my first time pulling one apart so im not sure if thats normal or not)

Comment

• redasphalt3
                    • Sep 2009

oil in the head will settle on the side the bike leans toward if it sits, when ya start it that cylinder will burn off the excess oil causing one pipe to smoke.

Comment

• 3trumpets
                      • Feb 2010

Wet Head

Oil seeping from the push rode tube seals could be caused by a hack job reassembly by whoever did the last top end job, too much oil or wet sumping mentioned earlier, both of which will blow the push rod seals. Otherwise, the push rod tube seals normally last indefinitely becasue of the stout captured design. Drain the oil warm from the tank and the engine. Measure it to find out if system was overfilled. If you pass this test, pull the oil pump and clean the check valves.

In any case, you will have to pop the head off to change the push rod tube seals. Otherwise, they will never stop bleeding. You'll most likely find a lot of goober on the head combustion chambers and piston tops needing to be cleaned off. Get yourself a Triumph service manual for spiritual guidance. You can find on line. Carefully torque the head bolts at re-assembly, then re-torque at the first 500 miles and again at 1000 miles after the rebuild.

I don't know your experience level, but if your are just getting into wrenching on old Trumpets, keep reading the manual and study the illustrations for the job at hand until it makes sense - and it will. Then you're ready to start the job and do it right. Join your local vintage Brit bike club if there is one. You should find a great bunch of new brothers very willing to assist and teach. Good luck!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;