Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwagner
    • Oct 2009

Tidy wiring tips?

I know basic wiring is basic wiring,but are there any tips and tricks you use to keep things tidy when wiring a new build? Couldn't find a thread on this topic already, so I figure I'll start it off. Not looking to find anything "Ground breaking", just trying to compile a few posts about things you've learned along the way that you do to help things stay "Clean" looking. Let's see what you've got!
  • xllance
    • Apr 2024

Try this...

Specializing in custom motorcycle parts and accessories for Chopper and Bobber motorcycles. Aftermarket parts for Harley Davidson Sportster, Triumph Bonneville, Yamaha XS 650 and many more. FREE SHIPPING ON ALL US ORDERS OVER $99!

Comment

• sixball
      • Jan 2011

I run mine thru the frame, and hide all the splices/conections in the battery box. If there is an exposed wire that needs to be wire tied to the frame I paint the wire tie the color of the frame, so it's somewhat hidden/camoflauged.

Sixball

Comment

• WOMPY
        • Aug 2009

Here's something tidy:

A 3-circuit fuse block wrapped up in a small package courtesy of Eastern Beaver.

Comment

• jessadamessa
          • Apr 2012

+1 for getting rid of the plastic crap on bullet connectors and such. Another +1 for wiring in the frame...I used the fishing line and vacuum cleaner trick...worked great for the wire down to my brake light. Where wiring was exposed, I wrapped it using some wrap-around sleeving from MC (http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ca...eeving/=iqg3jk).

Comment

• e3672222
            • Jul 2012

jessadamessa, I like the vacuum and fish line idea (will have to try it, is it easy?). I am slowly redoing the wiring on a VW trike.
            Everything is a rats nest under the body! Sucks!!
            Removing the plastic ends on the connectors and heat shrink is a much neater idea even with modern plastic coated wire. Solder on the trike due to vibes a necessity or is crimping good?
            Running the wire inside the frame is the trick. That will have to wait till this winter when the body goes to the paint booth. Lots of wires to move.
            I'll try to use weatherpac connectors were plugs are needed to aid in future teardowns.

Comment

• bwagner
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by WOMPY
              Here's something tidy:

A 3-circuit fuse block wrapped up in a small package courtesy of Eastern Beaver.

I've seen that,and it is indeed tidy! Keep em coming!

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                • Sep 2011

what I've done recently along with removing the plastic covers on the metal terminals is removing a little extra wire coating so that way I can feed a bit more into the terminal end and then fold the extra wire back over itself, crimping this entire thing together. The plastic shrink wrap goes over the end. This helps the wire from coming apart from the terminal if it is ever stressed.

Comment

• jessadamessa
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by e3672222
                  jessadamessa, I like the vacuum and fish line idea (will have to try it, is it easy?). I am slowly redoing the wiring on a VW trike.
                  Everything is a rats nest under the body! Sucks!!
                  Removing the plastic ends on the connectors and heat shrink is a much neater idea even with modern plastic coated wire. Solder on the trike due to vibes a necessity or is crimping good?
                  Running the wire inside the frame is the trick. That will have to wait till this winter when the body goes to the paint booth. Lots of wires to move.
                  I'll try to use weatherpac connectors were plugs are needed to aid in future teardowns.
                  Was easier than I expected. Just made sure the section of frame had a clean ID, got a good seal with the vacuum cleaner on one end, and fed the fishing line from the other end.

I soldered all my connections, as recommended by some of the guys on here.

In addition to the sleeving, I also got some of these anchor-mounted cable ties to secure the bundle and hide the zip ties.

Attached Files

Comment

• rustrocket84
                    • Aug 2009

This stuff is awesome. http://k-four.net/Category.aspx?cid=78 http://k-four.net/Product.aspx?pid=181

There switches are great too. And I think soldering is way better than crimping on many levels. Plus it makes you slow down and take your time. And the 3M heat shrink tubing is the way to go also. You can buy it in 3' sections and it'll last a long time.
                    Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;