Broke down and busted. Broken exhaust stud turned into nightmare.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkdesign
    • Sep 2011

i hope you're mates got his wallet out too, for not knowing to stop when he runs out of talent on someone elses bike.

Comment

• SyndicateChoppers
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by theangus
      Would I structurally damage the head If I filled the hole with a MIG welder? then grind, drill and tap again?
      yes uou cant mig weld aluminum unless you have a spool gun setup with your mig and they are usually hogh dollar
      i would try welding a longer bolt onto the broken stud first then heating the area of the head around the stud and see if it will break loose and come out

Comment

• theangus
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by darkdesign
        i hope you're mates got his wallet out too, for not knowing to stop when he runs out of talent on someone elses bike.
        He's MIA now... Really shitty that this all happened when I wasnt there to "Oversee". Trust me Im pissed. didnt even get a sorry.

Comment

• SyndicateChoppers
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by theangus
          He's MIA now... Really shitty that this all happened when I wasnt there to "Oversee". Trust me Im pissed. didnt even get a sorry.
          if he's a good friend I would chalk it up to shit happens man,
          bikes come and go good friends are hard to come by,
          if he's just someone that your not that close with then yeah I would make an issue out of it

Comment

• roush360r
            • Sep 2011

looks like he almost totally missed the bolt. if you cant weld somthing onto the broken stud you could pry use a very thin carbide bit and go in the hole he already drilled and grind the bolt like in half then kinda chip it out

Comment

• coldsmokejr
              • Sep 2010

Shock it with a punch and hammer, weld a bolt to it, pull it. Welding it should heat it enough that it'll pull right out. Good luck, and don't be too hard on your buddy, you both (hopefully) learned an important lesson.

Comment

• theangus
                • Apr 2012

Some better shots...

Now that I have the heads off, im really thinking of just throwing in the towel and converting to 1200/1250

I see no point having to do this once again.

suggestions?

anyone selling jugs and pistons and such, maybe even the kit?

also, Im hoping to sell the heads and jugs to offset some of my spent cash.

anyone need anything. let me know.

Thanks guys!
                Attached Files

Comment

• blackedout
                  • Aug 2009

Do it, but the jugs and pistons are worthless. Do headwork to those 883s and 1250 from NHRS cams if you got moneys left over

Comment

• scout41
                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by coldsmokejr
                    Shock it with a punch and hammer, weld a bolt to it, pull it. Welding it should heat it enough that it'll pull right out. Good luck, and don't be too hard on your buddy, you both (hopefully) learned an important lesson.
                    Never heard of this method, do you grind the broken stud flat to weld it to the bolt?

Take it easy on your buddy.

The trouble is you don't have a mill or a lathe. This works OK, but you'd need help.

If you're all ready throwing in the towel this might be too much to dig around for. Check machinist supply shops, if you have them. Try and find someone in tool and die or a body shop.

Or, that "quikcenter" video that follows looks like a sweet tool. It's worth a shot, only $38 on ebay. Sure beats rebuilding.

Comment

• ibuiltmine
                      • Jun 2010

in the meantime be soaking it in penetrating oil until you figure out what your going to do. It sounds simple, but I have gotten 3/4 of broken bolts and stuff out with a simple punch and hammer spinning it out backwards.

Comment

• theangus
                        • Apr 2012

Thanks guys!

Ive looked at this hoe for about 3 hrs. there is just the wall of one side of the bolt left...

Im soaking in WD.

I disassembled my bike as you can see, and I curious, I ordered new gaskets for everything cause I was always told never use a gasket twice. but the Head to Jog gaskets previous left some marks... do I have to sand the surfaces clean before installing my new heads and gaskets? same for the rocker boxes?

Im lost.

Comment

• bkrtrsh
                          • Jan 2012

Flat file...Mill bastard cut...Go smooth and easy, no need to remove alot of material. If the sealing surfaces are good, you're good.

Comment

• warehouseskate
                            • Mar 2010

jesus some of this advice is crazy..new heads? for a broken exhaust bolt?
                            using the drilling fixture from Jims or Vtwin and proper procedure it takes about 2 hours to get one out and usually, on a stock bike, nothing needs to come out of the frame.
                            your buddy most likely work hardened the shit out of that high carbon grade 8 bolt drilling and drilling and if you've attempted to heat cycle it a bunch getting it out you've probably made the problem worse.
                            the good news is you CAN do this yourself, don't panic, and don't pay a machine shop money that could be used to buy the tool then your friends can come to YOU next time
                            first...stop what your doing, order the jims drill out fixture ($100) and 2 135 degree machine length .25" carbide drills from mcmaster, the drills will be considered 'consumables' for this job and will probably be trashed when your done with them.
                            use a good handheld drill, some patience and plenty of feed as in PUSH on the drill until your arms hurt and go.
                            brush a little cutting oil on the drill tip when you relieve your chips if you must but as the drills will likely both be chipped to hell and worthless when your done its not important.
                            when the minor diameter of the screw is drilled out you can get in there with a few picks and chip out the major diameter (threads) easy enough. Often there is no need for thread repair either unless in your case your buddy drill wandered and galled up the original threads.
                            good luck and feel free to pm me here if you need any advice.

one last piece of advice, WD40 is shit as a penetrating oil, get some Kroil!
                            Last edited by warehouseskate; 08-04-2012, 2:17 PM.

Comment

• MIKE47
                              • Aug 2009

Trying to "extract" that is useless. The damage is done. The hole that got drilled left zero wall for new threads. Even if you get it out there's no chance for a heli coil or thread sert. Not even for a double oversize bolt. Start nipping off the corner of the aluminum and knock the chunk of old bolt right out the side. You will never TIG weld down into the hole that deep anyway so get all the crap out of there and do TIG passes slowly till you build up the head again. Reshape the outside then use a flange to properly locate the "new" hole. Drill and tap it straight in a mill and it's good as new.

Spool gun MIG will do nothing but make a mess of that. Those things are for assembling aluminum trailers and tool boxes. Precision welding, especially where you want no pock marks and no cavities hiding, there's no choice but TIG.

I'll give you $10 + shipping for it. $20 for the set- as long as you leave it as is.

Comment

• panheadjay
                                • Sep 2011

these last 2 posts are the best advice for you predicament, i'm a machinist and have fixed these before for the local bike shop or some poor guy the thought he could do it himself and fucked it up. i'm about 3 hours south of u if u ever want to learn how to fix these kind of mistakes. and the old dirty bike shop here fixes and repairs heads and engine cases as well.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;