Getting fuel from bottom of a frisco sporty tank???

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whatwhatwho
    • May 2011

Getting fuel from bottom of a frisco sporty tank???

Hi guys. So I have an old sporty tank on my 78 cb chop that's frisco'd. The petcock is up toward the middle of the tank and the tank is completely custom painted so I would like to stray away from welding in another bung for a petcock at the bottom of the tank. I've tried researching it and only found one solution called a 'clunker tank setup'. Basically running a feed line to the bottom of the tank. Has anyone heard of this? Here's the thread to where someone suggested it.

It's the 4th post down....lemme know what y'all think.
    Last edited by whatwhatwho; 07-28-2012, 9:56 AM.
  • ARBY
    • Apr 2024

The posted link doesn't work.

Comment

• whatwhatwho
      • May 2011

link is fixed....sorry.

there it is again....

Comment

• WingNut
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ARBY
        The posted link doesn't work.
        ARBY, You changed your photo to an even weirder little guy!

(Sorry to stray from said topic)

Comment

• livingdeadmc
          • Apr 2024

Originally posted by whatwhatwho
          Hi guys. So I have an old sporty tank on my 78 cb chop that's frisco'd. The petcock is up toward the middle of the tank and the tank is completely custom painted so I would like to stray away from welding in another bung for a petcock at the bottom of the tank. I've tried researching it and only found one solution called a 'clunker tank setup'. Basically running a feed line to the bottom of the tank. Has anyone heard of this? Here's the thread to where someone suggested it.

It's the 4th post down....lemme know what y'all think.
          Doesn't seem like it would work...but wtf do I know...magnets work and still have no idea how.

Comment

• spookperdue
            • May 2012

Being the fuel is fed by gravity, I don't see any way but relocating the petcock to the bottom of the tank. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Jasonisdico
              • May 2010

Did you read the very last post? Someone suggested feed lines that seal with O rings so you could drill a hole at the lowest point and toss in a fitting that bolts together and gets you all the gas.

Comment

• LivingCanvas
                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by spookperdue
                Being the fuel is fed by gravity, I don't see any way but relocating the petcock to the bottom of the tank. Just my 2 cents.
                How do you think siphoning gas works? Come on guys, this is basic fluid dynamics i learned in junior high...

As long as the point at which the gas is being used Is below the point and where its being pulled, it'll flow

Comment

• Thunderhead1990
                  • Nov 2011

in any case your paints gunna get burnt, or you could make your tank sit tilted to the gas doesnt hang out below ur petcock.

Comment

• Bandersnatch
                    • Dec 2011

Man...
                    I'm having trouble understanding?

Are yall saying theres a way to run an unmodified sporty tank and get more than 1.5 gallons of gas out of it?

I'm having trouble understanding just

HOW EXACTLY is this set up?

Anybody have pics of this setup, or a how to?

Comment

• whatwhatwho
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by LivingCanvas
                      How do you think siphoning gas works? Come on guys, this is basic fluid dynamics i learned in junior high...

As long as the point at which the gas is being used Is below the point and where its being pulled, it'll flow

So you're saying the clunker system should work then?

I got another interesting response from another forum:

Buy 3/8 npt threaded bung http://www.bungking.com/b.../stepped-npt-bungs.html. Plug old threaded connection with flush pipe plug, locate new bung for petcock as far back as you can get it remove paint in area of new bung (about 1/8 bigger than bung, sand and clean area with acetone or nail polish remover (just sneak it out of the house) clean bottom of bung with acetone. coat tank and bung with JB Weld and stick together. Make sure you don't block the bung hole so petcock can thread through, you might have to clean out with Qtip. let it cure over night. I did this 6 years ago and no leaks, have also did it on a hydraulic oil tank on my tractor 20 years ago and no leaks. leave a small bead around the fitting, it makes it stronger and once painted it looks like a weld.

Comment

• LivingCanvas
                        • Apr 2024

Yeah it'll work...right up until the fuel slashes away from the end of the hose, then your chancing if it'll keep the siphon going...

Comment

• Beefdrippings
                          • Sep 2009

I got another interesting response from another forum:

Buy 3/8 npt threaded bung http://www.bungking.com/b.../stepped-npt-bungs.html. Plug old threaded connection with flush pipe plug, locate new bung for petcock as far back as you can get it remove paint in area of new bung (about 1/8 bigger than bung, sand and clean area with acetone or nail polish remover (just sneak it out of the house) clean bottom of bung with acetone. coat tank and bung with JB Weld and stick together. Make sure you don't block the bung hole so petcock can thread through, you might have to clean out with Qtip. let it cure over night. I did this 6 years ago and no leaks, have also did it on a hydraulic oil tank on my tractor 20 years ago and no leaks. leave a small bead around the fitting, it makes it stronger and once painted it looks like a weld.
                          Well this is the obvious answer.Relocating your Petcock to the rear.This suggests using JB weld instead of actually welding it. One thing to consider when relocating your Petcock is if it's gonna hit your motor being further back and so much lower.As far as the JB weld aspect of this solution,I couldn't really comment.Whichever way you go,just make sure your tank is thoroughly cleaned out before you gas up and go.

Comment

• Bandersnatch
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Beefdrippings
                            Well this is the obvious answer.Relocating your Petcock to the rear.This suggests using JB weld instead of actually welding it. One thing to consider when relocating your Petcock is if it's gonna hit your motor being further back and so much lower.As far as the JB weld aspect of this solution,I couldn't really comment.Whichever way you go,just make sure your tank is thoroughly cleaned out before you gas up and go.
                            See, THAT is what I used think of when I hear "Frisco Tank" until I started looking to buy one and found that apparently all it meant was a peanut tank with a shallow tunnel.

I was under the impression that ideally you'd want a low tunnel, petcock at the lowst point and filler at the highest point of a sporty King Tank for a big twin after you ditched your factory fatbobs.

And the way a stock peanut tank sits when mounted to fatbob mounts with stock bung locations really only gives you about 1.5 gallon of gas that can be used. Relocating the petcock to the rear will get you considerably more gas.......but there is still a TON more room for gas that isn't used unless the filler neck is relocated too.

IDEALLY: You would want your tank TIG welded.
                            But I don't have a TIG, and the shop in town wanted like 130bones to run about 4 inches of weld on my buddies fully prepped to weld tank. (He ended up getting it done at work for a case of beer and 20 bucks.)

Is there another way around tigging it?

I know JB is pretty much "2 tubes-1 Awesome" and will hold fine but............

Is there another way of securing the bungs in place?
                            How was it done "Way Back When?

Comment

• whatwhatwho
                              • May 2011

Here's another response from the guy who said about using jb weld.

with the stepped bung you have to drill the hole before you attach the bung, measure the bung and use appropriate size drill. If I made it to easy sorry the point is you don't have to do any welding on the tank to get a reliable leak free connection, and the acetone step is very important or the joint can fail. This is a process I learned at Boeing when I was attached to the tooling section. Process also works on sight gauges on the side of tanks that you have always wanted but didn't want to weld on the side of tank. :>)

He seems pretty legit and knows what he's talking about....I think after the riding season is over I'm gonna do it.
                              Now I just need a way to plug my 22mm Harley style bung from the original petcock....I can't seem to find any plugs that'll cap that. Any suggestions on that? Thanks for all the suggestions btw!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;