CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default How much is my motor worth?

Hi, I've got a 1963 Triumph 6t motor in pieces that needs to be put back together. I don't have the time to rebuild it so I wanna get rid of it, how much is it worth? It needs a new stator/rotor, and a new exhaust cam and that's about it.

Get Adobe Flash player

A basket motor maybe a few hundred bucks

Get Adobe Flash player

How about fully rebuilt?

Get Adobe Flash player

Some food for thought.

Consider if you rebuild it you'll need to spend $ on a stator and camshaft. Think that's ALL you'll need? Probably not. To do it CORRECTLY (I say this because there's a dozen ways you can cut corners but you'll pay for it in the end) You'll want to replace the main bearings, clean the sludge trap, new shell bearings, maybe have to do some work on the journals in the crank (READ: machine shop), lap the valves, maybe new valve guides and ream them in, new rings, hone the barrel, new seals for the pushrod tubes, new head gasket, base gasket, rocker gaskets. new clutch plates, new primary chain adjuster, Inspect all the gears in the gearbox, replace any that are worn (good luck finding new ones btw) etc etc etc. So you'll spend a kings ransom in bits. Now add on the cost of paying someone else to do the labor...you'd be VERY lucky if you broke even.

starwolf

like ANYTHING , its only WORTH what someone else is WILLING to PAY.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by GreaserMike View Post
    Some food for thought.

Consider if you rebuild it you'll need to spend $ on a stator and camshaft. Think that's ALL you'll need?
    I've already done a bunch of what you listed. I have all new seals, rings, head gasket, various bearings all in a box waiting to be put back together. I also found a full set of transmission gears, used, in great condition. Plus I wouldn't be paying anyone to the labor, I'd do it myself. Well except for any machine shop work which I honestly don't think it needs.

Quote Originally Posted by starwolf View Post
    like ANYTHING , its only WORTH what someone else is WILLING to PAY.
    Of course, but I'm just curious what people on here would generally be willing to pay.

dazegoneby

depends how much said byer of said engine will offer you,,remember this is chop cult ,,lotta guys on here do this for liveing ,,byeing ,selling, wheeler ,dealers

Get Adobe Flash player

If I were in the market I'd pay $800- $1200 for a unit motor rebuilt by a private individual that was able to convince me of their competence. More from a reputable shop. Most shops charge about $1800 + parts for rebuilds.

For your motor in pieces with the extras you listed probably not more than $300-$400.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by crush1776 View Post
    If I were in the market I'd pay $800- $1200 for a unit motor rebuilt by a private individual that was able to convince me of their competence. More from a reputable shop. Most shops charge about $1800 + parts for rebuilds.

For your motor in pieces with the extras you listed probably not more than $300-$400.
    Cool thanks!

Share This