Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lovechild
    • May 2012

First Build, 78 CB650z

Hello! Picked up a cb650 for next to nothing, just for something to tinker with and learn more about bikes. It had been sitting for 20 years, and was a real wreck, so i figured it would be a perfect bike to learn some mechanics on, as i couldn't possibly make it any worse! I mean, i had never even done an oil change! So after changing oil, new plugs and battery, a good carb clean and a good noggin scratching, i managed to get it to start. Then, feeling inspired by all the sick bikes on the forum, i decided to go for a brat build. Luckily my good friend is an experienced welder, and will be helping me along the way.

This is the bike the day i brought her home.

Then after i got her running, i stripped her down and tried working out shock height.

Then i bought a fender, shocks,tank and bars. Nothing is mounted yet, just sat on there while i work out how to mount and come up with seat ideas.

Will hopefully get the tank and rear fender mounted this week, and cut off the rear of the frame behind the top shock mount. I am also in the process of stripping the engine down to give it a good clean and paint.
  • truerobotech
    • Aug 2011

Cool man! Looks like a project well on its way. Keep us up on the progress
    Last edited by truerobotech; 07-23-2012, 3:15 PM.

Comment

• lovechild
      • May 2012

Progress

Made some progress yesterday.

Ground off the ugly seam on the frame so the tank will sit better. Will be welded up and the tank mounted next week.

Cut off the rear of the frame behind the shock mounts. The frame will be capped off to stop the good old english rain getting in. Will hopefully get the rear fender mounter next week too. I sat the tins back on for more photos, very pleased with how its looking.

Comment

• lovechild
        • May 2012

Slow Progress

Been working so much that i havent really got alot done. Got the engine all apart and painted with POR15. Looks sick. Havent been able to get my head around how the bikes goin to work with that tank and fender combo. Been playing with cardboard seat pans and everything just looks wierd. Decided to scrap that idea and save those parts for a future project.
        So.....
        Here is a sketch of what the bikes going to look like now. Not sure which tank i can use to make it look like this. Maybe modify a sporty tank? If anyone has any ideas i'm keen to hear them.

Comment

• lovechild
          • May 2012

Scrapped that sketch and decided to stick to the original plan, using the axed tank and trailer fender i have, as i cant afford anything else.

So i finally got the tank and fender mounted and made a seat pan.

Started to reassemble the engine after paint. Looks a bit ratty in places, but its not bad for brush on.

So its kinda coming together and im pretty pleased with how its going. Still got a long way to go!

Comment

• derekd403
            • Jan 2012

Nice looking scoot. Quick newb question, what the heck are you sketching on? Lighted drafting table or something? Looks damn cool

Comment

• lovechild
              • May 2012

Cheers man! With the sketch i just turned down the opacity of the image in photoshop and printed it out. Drew right on top of it!

Comment

• Mark81
                • Aug 2012

What brand of paint did you used for the engine? It looks very shiny.

Comment

• lovechild
                  • May 2012

I used a POR15 engine paint kit. It's supposed to be really solid and it seems it, but i won't know for sure until its on the road and i can see how it really holds up. I have heard a few people say its better than powdercoat. Its a shame because the first coat brushed on smooth as glass, but i was too late getting the enamel on, and it didnt come out as well. Still, it doesnt really show, and once i have polished and fitted the side covers it should look rad.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;