Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WingNut
    • Dec 2010

Shovelheads: Slabside vs Cone

Looking to get a shovelhead for my next project. Aside from the obvious charging system difference, what should I be considering in one compared to the other? I'm leaving this open for fact, fiction, experiences and opinions. What do you guys like and why? Would love to hear from some of the ol' grey beards who really know their stuff.
  • LDNCLR
    • Nov 2009

your gonna spend more on a good running slab side.

Comment

• HumblePie68
      • Dec 2010

You'll pay far more for Gen cases than Alt cases, as well as all the gears.

Comment

• DOTY
        • Jan 2011

I got an 81 FLH with the 80Ci cone shovel. I like it, You can pick up cones cheaper than a slabside. There is a slabside and a cone shovel for sale at panheadcity. It all in what you want to do and how much you want to spend !
        Last edited by DOTY; 07-16-2012, 9:33 AM.

Comment

• HumblePie68
          • Dec 2010

Also thing the alternator shovels have a better crank bearing set up and better oiling, but not 100% sure on thats

Comment

• Nails
            • Jun 2010

Let's not forget that ALL come shovel heads were AMF motors. (no, I don't hate AMF)
            You my point is that you will need to invest BIG $ to get this this to be reliable.

Comment

• elmiguel13
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Nails
              Let's not forget that ALL come shovel heads were AMF motors. (no, I don't hate AMF)
              You my point is that you will need to invest BIG $ to get this this to be reliable.
              Not exactly, AMF years were '69 to '81.

Comment

• panheadjay
                • Sep 2011

i have a 74 cone motor, had no problems with the engine these past six years other than small oil leak from the rockers. i have'nt even changed plugs in the past 5 years. generator shovels look better, hold there value better and u can put it in any frame an maintain the harley title, if u get the title with the engine.

Comment

• LDNCLR
                  • Nov 2009

I wouldn't beat myself up over reliability. If you dont know the history of the particular motor, both cones and slabs should be checked from top to bottom by a reputable (harley) mechanic. I have 2 cones that I would cross the country on tomorrow with out worry, and I wouldn't hesitate for a second if they were slabsides and had the same treatment that was done to mine.

You can buy either and roll the dice on reliability, or you can buy either and spend up to $1500- $2000 for a total rebuild and never look back.

my $.02 anyways.....

Comment

• btiratsoo
                    • Sep 2011

I've jut got my first shovel. It's a 78 cone. So far, touch wood, it's been spot on. Spat oil everywhere but that's because I over filled it. The other issues was carbs, I listened to an older couple of riders an they were telling to adjust this and that. I shouldn't have listens. It took me a day to get it back to running well. Best thing about the shovel I've learned is go with your gut feeling on most things.

The best thing of all, they rock.

Comment

• HumblePie68
                      • Dec 2010

NOT all AMF is crap,,was just some times where things were "lacking",, all Harleys had there issues

Comment

• ARBY
                        • Apr 2024

That statement is nonsense. I've had my '77 for over thirty years and have never experienced a catastrophic failure of any component. Any machine will break if you abuse it, fail to maintain it or have jackballs wrench on it.

You gotta take care of things. When it was time for a top end, it got done. I didn't wait until the pistons blew the heads off. When it needs brakes, I change them. I don't wait until the rotors get chewed up and grooved. When it needs a clutch I replace it. I don't drive it until it self destructs, wipes out the tranny and locks up the whole show tight as turtle pussy! That's how shit gets expensive.

I have no doubt that my Shovel will be on the road long after all these "reliable" motorcycles are dead an rusted.

Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2012, 8:32 AM.

Comment

• easyspeed
                          • Dec 2010

Slab side for looks and nastalgia. Cone for the win. Abundant parts. Everything has been done to these engines and there is a ton of info on them. There's not a thing wrong with an amf engine either. It seems to be a statement that most people that do not know a whole lot about bikes clutch to.

You know how it goes;

"Hey nice Harley"
                          "knucklehead right?". - no shovelhead
                          "oh, cool. My dads got a sportster too...."
                          " ya,... I heard amf really about killed harley. Junk huh?..". - uhhh

Comment

• Ansutton21
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by ARBY
                            That statement is nonsense. I've had my '77 for over thirty years and have never experienced a catastrophic failure of any component. Any machine will break if you abuse it, fail to maintain it or have jackballs wrench on it.

You gotta take care of things. When it was time for a top end, it got done. I didn't wait until the pistons blew the heads off. When it needs brakes, I change them. I don't wait until the rotors get chewed up and grooved. When it needs a clutch I replace it. I don't drive it until it self destructs, wipes out the tranny and locks up the whole show tight as turtle pussy! That's how shit gets expensive.

I have no doubt that my Shovel will be on the road long after all these "reliable" motorcycles are dead an rusted.

I know you are bat shit crazy about shovel heads, and hate all other bikes, but this actually makes sense. I'm lookin to pick up a cone shovel here pretty soon. In my opinion they look just as cool as a gennie.

Comment

• purerockfury
                              • Mar 2011

i bought my 76 cone a few months ago and love it, it was well maintained tho and will continue to be. i didn't steal the bike but i paid a fair price for what it is...if you buy i shit box hacked up bike to begin with your probably either going to sink a lot of $ into it or be working on it all the time or both!
                              just my opinion, better to start off with something decent and you'll probably save in the long run...

i like the slab's but were out of my price range

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;