Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JaySco
    • Aug 2009

evo sporty project

I got my frame back yesterday so this project is officialy underway!! I had it hardtailed by Elswick Cycles, can't say enough about Robert, work is top notch, prices are better than most anywhere, and good customer service too. Back to the bike, 4" stretch and 2" drop.

As you can see the major fab work I had done, I don't have the skill or the know how to pull off work like that. But I will be fabbing up all the little BS like fender mounts/struts, plate bracket, etc. I'm planning on using the stock wire loom, after I strip about 4 miles of wire out of it. Progress will be slow because I'm usually in the garage for about 5 minutes at a time, thats when the kids or the wife come in to distract me with something else.
    I've got a box o' parts being shipped right now, got a few parts allready in the garage, and got a few things I still need to order. Expect lots of questions.
  • willythepirate
    • Aug 2009

Looks like a good start man. Where in cali are you?

Comment

• JaySco
      • Aug 2009

Im in Rialto, but nobody ever knows where that is, by Fontana. Southern Cali

Comment

• captainawesome
        • Aug 2009

you will spend more time ripping the stock harness to shreds than actually just making your own harness. study up on diagrams and go for it.

the tail looks good too.

Comment

• imtheslime
          • Aug 2009

Nice! Just emailed him the other day about one for my Ironhead.

Comment

• Kokuma
            • Aug 2009

Great sporty build.

Lookin' really good, man. I love the chop sporties. Its gonna be wicked quick too with all the weight taken off! I got a similar build going on. Check it out on my profile. Maybe we can talk shop.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Kokuma
              • Aug 2009

I agree. Way too many wires for such a "small" bike. One could run an in-dash entertainment system with all the wires coming out of it!

Comment

• theOldePro
                • Aug 2009

Robert at Elswick Cycles is awesome. Just contacted him about a weld on for my bike as well. My question is, how do you determine how much stretch to go with. Obviously, the longer will get a clean straight line down the entire backbone of the bike, but on some bikes the stretch can look a little "weird".

I'm thinking somewhere between 2-4" of stretch, but again, what's the real difference? Is there a stock wheelbase that the classic hardtail frames had?

Comment

• superflysnow
                  • Aug 2009

man same here, just emailed him tonight... I have seen a bunch of +4" that have looked pretty good, not sure about the drop though. anyone done a 6"? i know most dont like em, but +6" on a Trump looks real good to me!

Comment

• nickle
                    • Aug 2009

It depends on your goal. Building a longbike? If not, I prefer a shorter wheelbase.

Comment

• WhiteFox
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by captainawesome
                      you will spend more time ripping the stock harness to shreds than actually just making your own harness. study up on diagrams and go for it.

the tail looks good too.
                      I disagree, I ripped out my speedo and turn signals, there is a bunch of wires, but as I was doing it I thought I could just start from scratch. Yeah right, that would have been 5x more work. It's much easier to pull out what you don't want. And if you have problems in the future it'll be much easier to trace the stock wires than ones you've built.

Comment

• superflysnow
                        • Aug 2009

Looks good! that tail looks like it will work out really nice...

do you have any close ups of the oil tank? how is it mounted... other than the obvious, do you have spacers cut for it or is it rigid mounted against the frame rails?

Comment

• Binky
                          • Aug 2009

The frame looks hella tough..

Comment

• JaySco
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by theOldePro
                            Robert at Elswick Cycles is awesome. Just contacted him about a weld on for my bike as well. My question is, how do you determine how much stretch to go with. Obviously, the longer will get a clean straight line down the entire backbone of the bike, but on some bikes the stretch can look a little "weird".

I'm thinking somewhere between 2-4" of stretch, but again, what's the real difference? Is there a stock wheelbase that the classic hardtail frames had?
                            I looked at what was already on the market, the KK hardtails as well as a couple other cheaper ones have a 2" stretch, they looked a little on the stubby side to me. I saw a couple custom rears with a 5"-6" stretch and they looked too odd and empty in the rear. I like the overall look that the Led Sled gives and they advertise as 4" stretch and 2" drop.
                            There has been great discussion over where all these measurements are based on, rake, downtube stretch, backbone stretch, blah blah. When I told Robert what I wanted I told him based off the frame in front of us. I left the swingarm on and told him I want it to sit 2" lower and 4" back. He had a frame there that had 3" of stretch, but like you said the backbone wasn't perfectly straight all the way down.

Comment

• JaySco
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by WhiteFox
                              I disagree, I ripped out my speedo and turn signals, there is a bunch of wires, but as I was doing it I thought I could just start from scratch. Yeah right, that would have been 5x more work. It's much easier to pull out what you don't want. And if you have problems in the future it'll be much easier to trace the stock wires than ones you've built.
                              I think I'm going to go with you there. I made a harness out of scratch on my last bike only becuse there was nothing there to start with. I kind of like the idea of keeping what little I'm going to have left with color coded wires and factory harnesses. I plan on just stripping/shortening/lengthening where needed.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;