ok so stick with me on this one... so i started this build in 2008... then life happened and it got pushed to the back of the line... then the shop expanded and we have been building bikes, sleds, quads, you name it... well now it is finally the 350's time... it is insane how much has changed since the start of this project so alot of this will be a catch up, and then of course to re-do what i had done before. Now with Tim around and his unreal ability to work with metal and mad man welding skills the bike will finally have the life it started out for so many years ago...
first lets get updated from the past
I rode this bike in college... here is when i got home from school
tear down started
first tank i knee dented
then... about here is where we come in and need to start to redo... i changed the upper rails
then a buddy stretched the swing arm for me
FAST FORWARD TO THE START OF THIS WEEK
Tim and i pulled her from under the covers in the back and decided to build and sell the bike... so here we go
made an adjustable bar to figure out ride height and trail so we could move the shock mounts on the swing arm
installed the knobby front tire on a 21 rim... i thought i got a XL250 rim however i got a KL250 rim so this will not work... the XL rim works perfect for the center hub of a 15mm axle, where as the KL has a 12mm... so ill have some spokes cut and i can lace the 21 hoop to the stock 350 hub... i think it will look much cleaner to have it all match front and rear hubs anyway... the back will get a vintage ribbed tire
for mock up a temp axle was made up to work
now we tried to figure out what tank... bear in mind we want to powder everything so the bondo on the knee dent tank would not really work so well and we would have to bust out the guns and shoot it if we went this way...
while that was noodled on... shaved the ears
then we decided on a tank... Tim sectioned the frame... this will all later be welded in and re enforced... rather than re tunneling the tank we are going to mod the back bone
also the stock mounts kind of sucked so those where redone
and with that we have a profile
and here she sat last night as we stared at it trying to plan our next step
hahaha i was wondering when you where going to find this thread! hahahaha
well the awesome fun of building a vintage bike strikes again... just when i get a new swing arm on the way... found the 2nd issue... the trees are done on this bike... done... the back up set that i have is different, but the fork tubes are destroyed on the back up set... soooooo looking for a new set of trees now... after the upper tree is all shaved and looking clean now we may not be able to use the upper either...
smooth shaved upper
few shots of the lower tree
but now on to some cool stuff!
time to fill in the area for the frame that was cut out to allow for the new tank to work
then Timmy welded up the seam and smoooooothed out the back bone
next to address the tank sitting so high on the back bone the seam that these fames have needed to be removed... this was done in sections filling in the area with weld till it was completed and smooth
then some small things... found the seat pan kit i had stashed away... ditching the bee hive springs and going to 3.5 Torsion Springs instead
trying to keep the vintage look i did find a HUGE old school speedo that we'll tear down and restore
then last i am going to convert this old brass bell into a tail light for the bike
well yesterday i had some "dad" stuff to do with the wife... Tim was in the shop and got some more done on the frame... it is coming along nicely so far!!!
no need to keep the crash bar mount
then since we are going to be running the smaller tank alot more of the frame will show... and the metal work is UGLY... so to clean it up, alot of the areas where filled
then the seams needed to be addressed as we can not have big gaps in the frame, that will look horrible under the powder
then the rear swingarm/exhaust hanger was up next... now this is not completed yet... but is all tacked in... we are still not 100% how the exhaust is going to be made and if we will need a support back there or not... so it is a work in progress still but here is where that sits