CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 1995 883: Oper Temp 200˚ F Problems?

Hey guys!

Ive been riding a 1995 883 for about 3 months now. went thru the whole thing and chopped a bit. Im in Chicago, and we have been having a bit of a heat wave. I just realized today after a considerable ride, that the oil temp (I have a temp gauge oil cap) is 190-200 Degrees F.

Is this normal?
    should it be cooler?
    Am I causing damage?

just a little curious.

Thanks!

Get Adobe Flash player

Not to worry. It's been close to 100 for the last few days in MN. My Shovelhead hits 200 regularly. Conventional oil is good to about 230. At one time a few years back I saw my oil hit almost 250 and it was running out of the drag pipes. At 250 oil is like water and not doing much good. Synthetic is good to temps beyond 250 but holy shit is that hot!!

Get Adobe Flash player

60wt.
    don't mix it with synthetic.

Get Adobe Flash player

Those caps aren't very accurate. Your oil is probably hotter than what you're reading on the gauge to start. Most evos run about 215-250 in oil temps depending on regular or synthetic. Regular is good to about 250 and synthetic will yield 300. You should run a good synthetic assuming our motor is sound and you shouldn't run higher than a 50w for an evo do to oil pressure at idle and it just isn't necessary, particularly cold starts. I would use a synthetic 20-50w which will produce about 215-225 degree oil temps on most evos. There are lots of forums chats on the topic as well.

In a nutshell, you're good to go man. Try to keep the breeze on the knees and you're gold.

Share This