Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1stgenxxx
    • Apr 2011

Norton 850 chop

I will be bringing this jewel home tomorrow. I went over to the guys shop and we rolled it out from behind a few old cars. It hasn't been started in 6 or 7 years. I kicked and kicked and kicked some more...It would snort back through the carb but that was it. They fucked with the timing (thanks man).
    It allready has the single Mikuni conversion so thats a plus.
    I'm going to ditch the forks asap for stock length springer but I'm not sure what front brake set up I will do.
  • Torch
    • Jul 2009

And so, The fun begins.

Comment

• 1stgenxxx
      • Apr 2011

Im pretty pumped about this bike. Its my first non Jap build

Comment

• 61xlh
        • Nov 2010

that is one of the nicer lookin norton rigid frames ive seen. my first bike was a 72 commando, and had the godawfulugliestweldonrigidrearsection ive ever seen. lot of fun to ride tho. got me in good with the locals too. 'takes balls to ride something like that' was a common comment
        my favorite was 'ill but ya a beer for that one"

Comment

• 1stgenxxx
          • Apr 2011

Its pretty rough right now.The engine is rubber mounted and it allowes for a lot of movement (one of the mounts is missing). I'm probably going to ditch the rubber mounts. There is almost no room for an air filter or stack so I'm gonna have to get pretty creative. The frame has mounts for a huge old school seat but that no really my style so I'm going to hack them off and add a spring seat.

Ive been riding my friends Sporty a lot here lately and not having a front brake sucks! That front end has to go even if I have to use a stock trees and tubes for a while.

Comment

• 1stgenxxx
            • Apr 2011

I got the bike home last night and I'm pretty pumped. Now I just need to sell some Jap stuff so I can buy parts for the Norton.

Comment

• Speedfiend
              • Dec 2009

Neat bike. A good Commando chop is very hard to pull off. Nortons just don't lend themselves to chopping like a Triumph. This one has potential. The rubber mount issue is a toughy. In original form, the swing arm was mounted to the rubber mounted engine cradle. Allowing the rear wheel to move with the engine. When you hard mount the wheel, and the engine is still jumping around in the frame it puts even more stress on the chain and worse still- the weakest point in a Commando, the gear box. The AMC gear box is a solid unit, all the way up to 750cc. It's really not up to the task of handling an 850. Many a 850 Commado gear box has thrown the mainshaft, cracking the gear box housing around the output shaft. SO- your left with solid mounting the engine. Yikes! Those cranks were only balanced at 62%. It's gonna vibrate like crazy. Better make sure all your mounts are damn solid. I'd suggest short bars and no side mount tail light.

Comment

• Revelation
                • Feb 2012

Cant wait to see what you do with
                good luck I hope you have it running soon

Comment

• TRUMPNUT
                  • Jul 2009

Like said before if you solid mount the motor you must change the balance factor . They are different from the balance factor of the Atlas since they tilted the cylinder forward . The single Mikuni I think is shit for the motor . Comandos need to breath and lend themselves to twin carbs much better .
                  Drain the sump if you are trying to start it . if the sit even a week they tend to wet sump .

Comment

• 1stgenxxx
                    • Apr 2011

I won't have time to work on the Norton for a few weeks. Ive got to finish up a few Hondas so I'll have some money to work with.
                    I've been looking at a few DNA springer front ends...but I've heard the quality isn't very good.
                    Has anyone one here used one? How did you like it?

Comment

• Torch
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by 1stgenxxx
                      I won't have time to work on the Norton for a few weeks. Ive got to finish up a few Hondas so I'll have some money to work with.
                      I've been looking at a few DNA springer front ends...but I've heard the quality isn't very good.
                      Has anyone one here used one? How did you like it?
                      DNA's are ok, yes, they're made in China,
                      I've seen a lot of them being used and I've never met anyone that had one break.

Comment

• 1stgenxxx
                        • Apr 2011

I haven't had much time to work on the bike but I did score this sweet tank from a friend of mine.

I also got a few sets of bars to play around with. I'm going to pick up a stock Sportster front end on Friday...The girder/no front brake must go.

Comment

• RetroRob
                          • Oct 2011

Agree

Comment

• thatstupidkydd
                            • Oct 2011

thats girder is so sick

Comment

• 1stgenxxx
                              • Apr 2011

The girder and front wheel are for sale...You should buy them!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...