Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • backwithabang
    • May 2011

Yet another clutch question, suggestions please

Ok after a long battle with my 68 chop I finally have it running well. Replaced the friction plates and clutch is cleaned up and functioning well. However my cable adjustment is being stubborn

Let me preface this by eliminating other potential problems you may think this is.

The basket is in good shape, plates are in good shape, friction plates are new, I have no "wobble" when spinning the clutch and the thrust washer seems done and sturdy. The push rod is smooth an adjusted to specs. Actually the only thing odd about my clutch at all is that the PO ran a stuffer plate and actually had custom springs made to fit that therefore running 12 plates resulted in total slippage.

Now here's the problem. When the clutch lever is pulled it doesn't want to return all the way so I'm in this limbo of half in gear half, half clutched every time I change gears. Which requires me to push up on the lever and give it the most perfect throttle in order not to stall in low gears.

I attempted various adjustments at both ends of the cable and to get the lever to snap back correctly has me back at a slipping clutch because there is just too much tension on the cable.

The cable and lever are both brand new by the way. I was thinking of rigging the damn lever with some sort of spring because that's really what it seems to need

Any suggestions?
  • CRFyou
    • Mar 2010

How's your cable routing?

Did you lube with graphite (or anything) before installing?

Try letting the cable hang out like a genital wart and see if that improves it.

Is your pivot bolt that holds the lever too tight?

These are things that can do you dirt.

Comment

• backwithabang
      • May 2011

All my cables hang out everywhere. I route nothing. My bikes look like atoms surrounded by circling neutrons.

Could be a bad lever. Gonna give that a look tonight. Another thing I notice is that the cable metal end seems pretty tight in the adjuster screw on the lever. I'm gonna drill that out a bit bigger too.

Comment

• TRUMPNUT
        • Jul 2009

I would also start at the cable/lever . Also make sure the activator is not sticking in the trans cover side , After that I would look over the Clutch rod . I have seen more of these cause issues then anything . I do make a new rod kit but I'm out of stock . I think Low Brow has some .

Comment

• backwithabang
          • May 2011

What's the big advantage with the ol' cut the rod and use a ball bearing In between shit?

I know the xs650 used that standard and it was supposed to be an "improved" triumph engine. But I had one and aside from being easier to work on that's a bunch of shit

Comment

• guschambers
            • Aug 2009

I'd check that the ball bearings in the actuator arent moving out of their pockets. ie- too much movement at the actuator. I had that happen. does it click kinda loudly when you pull it all the way in?

Comment

• backwithabang
              • May 2011

No clicking. I am relatively new to triumphs. But what I do know is that clicking in their clutches is a sign you went full on retard in the adjustment.

As for the actuator itself. It seems pretty damn smooth but if none of the other tricks work when I try it tonight I'll yank that cover and see what's going on with it

Comment

• TRUMPNUT
                • Jul 2009

The stock rod was not made from harden material and over time they become "mushroomed" on the end causing them to drag . And the shorter rod with the bearing has less drag on inside of the main shaft ,when the clutch is disengaged .
                I have seen under the cover the balls in the activator get either flat spots in them or the plates get a flat spot holding up the balls from returning .
                Did the lever check out ok ?

Comment

• backwithabang
                  • May 2011

Thanks for the help boys. The end of the cable lever side where it sits in the adjuster was kind of oval so it was jamming in the end not all the way in with no movement. I just drilled out the adjuster and all was well.

However when we get our bikes we conjure from the long dead going to a drivable state we find other problems. My gearing seems all sorts of tweaked. First gear seems like 3rd , 2nd feels great , 3rd so so and 4th is way too high like almost first feeling which of course sucks at about 50-60 when you pop into that. So that's my next project. Bit by bit

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;