Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spsgold
    • Oct 2010

How low do you go?? Tire / Air Pressure

What kind of rear tire pressures are you rigid guys runnin? I'm runnin a Conti Tour 150-80-16 with a tube,(recomended pressure 42psi ) and I'm tryin to get a feel of what's safe around town as well as hwy speeds 70-80mph, I've run it about as low as 25psi but don't know how much lower is safe??? Any Ideas.......
  • Doc74
    • May 2012

Run a 130/90-16 with a recommended tire pressure of 40 psi, i usually run between 22-30. More so depending on the type of ride im going on(straight freeway, snake curve roads, etc)

Comment

• Madav8tr
      • Apr 2024

On my Shovel chopper spoked rear wheel with a tube I usually run it at 18-20psi. On the Buell chopper I just sold, tubeless tire I usually ran it around 20-23psi.

Comment

• TemeculaTerry
        • Jul 2009

Choppers you should run it about 10psi lower than recomended, if you have a swingarm then you should be running the tire at the recommended tire pressure.
        Those conti's disintegrate at high speeds so its important to run them correctly,You guys should be looking at tires with very hard centers to get the best wear and life.

Comment

• andri
          • Mar 2012

A tubed Firestone Deluxe on a spoked rim on my rigid shovel and I run about 22psi in it.
          Gives it the softness it needs.

Comment

• Capino
            • Apr 2024

19 psi

Comment

• lsc8
              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by TemeculaTerry
              Choppers you should run it about 10psi lower than recomended, if you have a swingarm then you should be running the tire at the recommended tire pressure.
              Those conti's disintegrate at high speeds so its important to run them correctly,You guys should be looking at tires with very hard centers to get the best wear and life.
              Is that for tubeless, tubed, or both?

Comment

• Vaughn
                • Apr 2011

My continental is reccomended to run 42 psi which I run at 35-36 psi. for a softer ride. I've run it as low as 25 psi like the OP but I find that to be way too squirrely in the turns.

Comment

• Lucky69
                  • Oct 2011

20-25

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                    • Apr 2010

I usually run all my rigids at 10lbs below factory specs, lower not kewl.

Comment

• SingSing
                      • Apr 2024

Recommended PSI for ridin two up on Dyna 88 TC?

hey wrenches .....need some advice. Im 220 lbs (on a good week when my OL feeds me) and my OL is 145. Currently im ridin a DYNA twin cam 88. I replaced the stock cam chain tensioner system with a gear drive set up. Heres my question. Whats the real life recommended PSI for ridin two up. My rear Dunlop is at 45 psi. Its a 150/80. My front is at 40 psi and its a 130/90. Both are 16" tires tubeless. Any info from you guys is appreciated..Thanks.

Comment

• SingSing
                        • Apr 2024

Damn..i just noticed that SPS Gold just posted something similar to this thread a few posts below.....

Comment

• davidabl
                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by BuddhahoodVato
                          I usually run all my rigids at 10lbs below factory specs, lower not kewl.
                          I hope I'm not just beating a dead horse ("dando patazos a un caballo muerto") by reopening this
                          thread BUT I'm back in the market for tires-- after running a ME880 rear @10 lbs under for the last thousand miles. While it still looked more or less OK on Sunday morning, bald spots appeared by afternoon. Several thousand miles before I expected to have to replace it.

Obviously, some tires can handle lower pressures better than others. And Me880's don't seem to be those tires. I'm considering trying Pirelli MT66, the new KendaCruz (at the reccomendation of the
                          folks at AmericanMotoTire) or Shinko 230's Shinko777's.

This would be to get me to where I gotta replace my front tire..
                          Then I'd like to go with some of those trad looking tires where you run the same tire front&back Something like Conti Twins, or Avon Roadrunners.

And probably NOT any of those ribbed-for-your-pleasure tires like Firestones ;-)
                          They'd just have to perform OK and last OK on a hard tail.
                          I was/am happy enough with the Metzelers in terms of handling & comfort..but gotta have better longevity. Especially considering what they cost, and the struggle it takes to install 'em

Comment

• sactojon
                            • Jan 2010

It also can depend on the rim, I'm running a old ironhead 18" high shoulder rear rim & was told that that rim needs to be ran at pressure or tire slips because of bad bead issues.

Comment

• davidabl
                              • Nov 2009

I could easily be wrong on this but I think that in the day drag racers used rim-locks just like they still do on dirt bikes. And they sometimes even used sheetmetal screws shot thru the rims into the tire beads.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;