Official Build Thread.. 1965 650 Tiger (Boardtracker Build)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1stgenxxx
    • Apr 2011

I may have missed it but what leaf spring did you use? A trailer spring? The build looks sick!

Comment

• Iamtheonlyreal1
      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by 1stgenxxx
      I may have missed it but what leaf spring did you use? A trailer spring? The build looks sick!
      Thanks man.. I have had several questions about the seat mount, so I hope I can answer you without crossing a line on this forum.

I had several springs custom made by an Industrial Spring Manufacturer, and they are set up for potential mass production, but I am not sure what direction I am going with them yet. Rather than guess where I could find a spring that could work for proper rider weights, I had this company set them up in specific weight ranges, and made with proper mounting holes and lengths. These seat springs are set up in a range for a 150#'s-300#'s rider in 50 pound increments, and I think that should about cover the needed spring rate variations. I have seen people source other springs, but you have to be careful altering them, especially heating and cutting them. Because the beginning spring making process causes alterations like that to make the metal very brittle, so it will tend to break or crack later.

There are a few things on the bike that may be available for sale at a later date, and the seat spring kit is one of them. There is a difference between that maybe available kit, than the kit shown here on this bike, and that will be the universal solo seat rear mounting bracket, versus the weld on tab you see pictured here... I hope that helps, because I dont want to get to deep into the items right now, because this forum may not look highly on that..
      Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; 07-08-2012, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• Torch
        • Jul 2009

on this bike I used a Model A Ford front axle top lief spring, it been working great for 3 years now on us 200 lb. guys....
        Last edited by Torch; 07-08-2012, 2:25 PM.

Comment

• 1stgenxxx
          • Apr 2011

Thanks for the info. After seeing you bike I went on a rampage digging through boxes of stuff in my dads barn. I found a small spring spack from a lawmower trailer? It still looks a bit more beefy than what you used. I'm probably going to do a leaf spring seat on the Norton.

Comment

• Iamtheonlyreal1
            • Jul 2010

Not sure about this feature either, but I was trying to plug another hole. LOL I have worked out away to make the (Side Car) mount bracket on the upper down tube, work for a sort of Jockey Shift.. I have been working on it for awhile, and set it aside for awhile, and started going back and forth with the idea..

I think it will fit the mechanical look of the bike, and it seems to function very well, but I am wondering if it is too much. It will be a Jockey Shift, but it will still be able to shift with the regular shifter foot peg, so you get both worlds there.. I was thinking I may need to sort out some sort of Jockey quick disconnect, so you are not moving the handle back and forth if you are shifting with your foot.

Here are some pics, but please excuse the unfinished pieces, and I have not sized the length of the lever either. I have not taken the time to finish grind, cut, and weld everything, because I am not sure I am actually going to use it..

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; 07-09-2012, 4:49 PM.

Comment

• Iamtheonlyreal1
              • Jul 2010

For the guys that are curious about riding position, here it is.. I noramally dont like pictures, but the bike is made to fit me, so I had to do it.. LOL I am 5'11" and about 205, so you can get an idea..

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; 07-09-2012, 6:11 PM.

Comment

• Iamtheonlyreal1
                • Jul 2010

If you want the sporting ride, all you have to do is drop your elbows to your knees, and lean right into it... I was trying to get a bit of a balance betweent the two riding styles, because I didnt want to be dedicated to either one, so this is what I got..

It really doesnt feel bad at all, and I think it will be a bit more comfortable than anticipated. I may bump the bars up a bit for a little better wrist position, but I like the stye, and the grip angle is perfect if you lean into it.

Comment

• RetroRob
                  • Oct 2011

Looking great, is that an old Volvo like the Saint had ?

Comment

• Iamtheonlyreal1
                    • Jul 2010

Originally posted by RetroRob
                    Looking great, is that an old Volvo like the Saint had ?
                    That is another one of my custom projects and products endeavor. That is a highly body/suspension/drivetrain modified 1966 Volvo P1800, and it 750 horsepower new Corvette LS9 Supercharged.

This what I am going for when it is done.. There are too many mods to list, along with products developed, so it is best to say about 90 percent of the car has been updated

Comment

• Iamtheonlyreal1
                      • Jul 2010

Well I sourced a 5-speed for the bike on Ebay the other day, and I got the tracking info from the guy, but no other answers to my questions.. I was told the best and easiest transmission is from a 76-79 650, but I cant seem to get the guy to answer what year this thing came out of.

Just incase it isnt in that year range, does anyone know what else I might need besideds the inners and outer cover?

Comment

• Torch
                        • Jul 2009

a couple of things,
                        there was no 650's ever made in 1976 through 1979, they were only 750's but that's not important.
                        A 76-and up 5 speed trans is a left side shift trans, and while the gear clusters are the interchangeable with the earlier right shift 5 speed stuff , the whole shifting mechanism is and inner cover is different.
                        If you are putting it in a pre 1976 (right side shift) Unit Triumph case then all you need to do is get a 1973-1974 5 speed inner trans cover and shift mechanism, and I believe any 1968 and up right side kicker cover should work.

The bad news is the 73-74 inner trans cover is very desirable and hard to find.

The real question might be why did you want a 5 speed?
                        it is not an overdrive geared trans. the final gear ratio of a 5 speed is the same as it is on a 4 speed, it's just got shorter ratio gears in between.
                        Last edited by Torch; 07-11-2012, 9:00 PM.

Comment

• Iamtheonlyreal1
                          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Torch
                          a couple of things,
                          there was no 650's ever made in 1976 through 1979, they were only 750's but that's not important.
                          A 76-and up 5 speed trans is a left side shift trans, and while the gear clusters are the interchangeable with the earlier right shift 5 speed stuff , the whole shifting mechanism is and inner cover is different.
                          If you are putting it in a pre 1976 (right side shift) Unit Triumph case then all you need to do is get a 1973-1974 5 speed inner trans cover and shift mechanism, and I believe any 1968 and up right side kicker cover should work.

The bad news is the 73-74 inner trans cover is very desirable and hard to find.

The real question might be why did you want a 5 speed?
                          it is not an overdrive geared trans. the final gear ratio of a 5 speed is the same as it is on a 4 speed, it's just got shorter ratio gears in between.
                          Sorry about calling it a 650, it is really just habit.. I was informed that, there is a couple of easy mods that would make it work, so that is why I considered it.. I was told by a couple of reputable builders and part suppliers, that I really on need to enlarge a couple of bearing mounts on the inner covers, because the 5-speeds have a larger bearing diameter. And that as long as I have everything from the 5-speed, I would be able to make it all work with my motor and inner case..

If it looks like it will get to involved, and the gear ratio doesnt really change, then I may just put the 5-speed on the market. The 5-speed really doesnt change the final drive? That does surprise me, because I dont see why people would do the retro-fit, and why the 5-speed bring the money they bring and are so quick to sell..

Thanks

Comment

• Iamtheonlyreal1
                            • Jul 2010

Here is the tacked mounting for the Oil Filter I am running, and I think it will work out great... It fits right between the carbs, and fills in some gaps.. I will have Polished Copper lines for the plumbing of the Oil Filter Housing and Oil Tank, which should really complete the look of the oil system.

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; 07-13-2012, 2:21 PM.

Comment

• JamesM
                              • Jul 2012

Damn, this is right on.

Comment

• starwolf
                                • Apr 2024

I am REALLY FUCKIN DIGGIN the Jockey / Foot Shifter, So fuckin' pimp!!! ::

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;