CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Evo/ Rotary Top belt drive noise

I have an Evo chop with a rotary top and 1.5" open belt, 5 finger hub, newer clutch plates and steels.

I just took my first real ride on her today and I am getting a strange, intermittent noise from the trans or clutch assy. It sound like a clacking noise, obviously increases in frequency with RPM, but it comes and goes.

Once I fire it up, I will hear the noise for a moment but then when I drop it into first, it will go away for a few moments. Then it might come back. It's only at speeds below +/- 15MPH that I can hear it, but that doesnt mean it isn't there.

This is my first open belt drive and I know they are supposed to be noisy but something just doesn't sound right. Anyone have any ideas?

Get Adobe Flash player

SO it still is intermittent but CAN be heard at higher speeds. It is definitely trans related,.
    While it is off, I can roll it forward with it in gear but clutch pulled in and I can hear the "clunk" noise as I move it. Internals maybe? Yikes..

Get Adobe Flash player

Those clutches do make a lot of noise. Clicks, clacks, barks, honks, sqeals.....all normal.
    Without hearing it it person, well, good luck
    Try coasting with the engine off in gear with the clutch pulled in and in nutral with clutch out should be able to hear your noise better.
    could be anything from kicker gear to chain too

aaronc

I have an old race primo 1.5 clutch setup on my evo and 4speed setup and let me tell you that thang is obnoxiosly noisy.Sometimes its not to bad but yea they are really ratally and I dig it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah I have heard, but this sounds like grinding gears. Like in a standard transmission in a car. I'm going to mess around with it tonight and tomorrow, hopefully figure it out quick.

aaronc

Oh no,mind dont make grinding noises.That justifies a more in depth look.

HotSnotRocket

What "steels" are in your clutch? Do yours have the anti-rattle springs and balls?

Sounds normal to me. If it was in a closed primary you wouldn't hear it.

I have a 3" belt on my "Chop" with the BDL clutch and it clicks, clacks and makes all kind of Gaw Awful noise.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't remember the brand of steels, but they are the type with the anti-rattle O-rings.

However, I have a significant amount of slop in my shift linkage. I didn't have the noise all morning, I think the noise may have been coming from it not being fully engaged in one gear.

Share This