Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sammyboom
    • Jun 2012

rusty rat.

I finished building this monstrosity last summer. it started life as a stock 1985 yamaha virago xv700. has already won some awards at the local bike nights. let me know what you think. thanks

video link
  • Jasonisdico
    • May 2010

Personally, I can't fucking stand sissy bars mounted directly behind the front seat. Throws off the proportions and doesn't look right.

But hey, it's your bike not mine.

Comment

• OldSchoolBully
      • Aug 2011

Nice to see a proper rat. Would've gone for different bars, but that thing is fuckin sweet.

Comment

• sexybluelady
        • Jun 2011

I fucking love it ^_^ anything that is suppose to look old and dirty and just pieced together I always love.

Comment

• jramp
          • Mar 2011

Damn dogg that is a rustty rat, Love it!

Comment

• sammyboom
            • Jun 2012

Thanks for the pos and neg comments, everything is welcomed. I built it to look like shit but be totally functional and reliable. The sissy bar is there to serve the task of bracing my back, cuz although it looks like there are rear shocks they're more like struts and provide no suspension.. People always ask what year it is and look at me strange when i say it's only an 85. One dude thought it was from the 50's. So i guess it does the job of looking old.

Comment

• davidabl
              • Nov 2009

Anybody ever ask you what a "tariff" is? Or, even worse,"what year is that Harley?"
              Attached Files

Comment

• NHMike
                • Apr 2024

THIS is a Rat Bike....

A rusty bike thrown together, is just a Rusty Bike.

Comment

• sammyboom
                  • Jun 2012

Technically isn't that more of an art bike aka a reg bike with Shit thrown on to show some artsy prowess.
                  @davidabl-i actually get that all the time.the shield and banner throw them off.

Comment

• blackout
                    • Sep 2011

that seat makes my ass hurt just looking at it.lol

Comment

• NHMike
                      • Apr 2024

Originally posted by sammyboom
                      Technically isn't that more of an art bike aka a reg bike with Shit thrown on to show some artsy prowess.
                      @davidabl-i actually get that all the time.the shield and banner throw them off.
                      No, its a Rat Bike. People with rusty bikes and/or flat black "bobbers" may call it differently. But its still a real Rat Bike.

Comment

• sammyboom
                        • Jun 2012

Please define it and what qualifies that bike as such. No arguements just a good discussion. I would like to know why. And if it ain't a rat than fuck it.it's ugly and she's mine. :-)

Comment

• Jasonisdico
                          • May 2010

A rat bike is a beat up piece of shit bike that the only maintenance done to it is what keeps it on the road and collects stuff. It doesn't look like that overnight, it's from years of being ridden and grabbing something at a truck stop or off the side of the road and strapping it to your bike. That's what makes it a rat.

But! Terms change and usage of words evolves. I understood by the title(as I'm sure mike did too) what your bike was gonna look like. For the same reason if I use the B word and say I have a GS550 Bobber, most people know what to expect. No, it's not 'technically' a bobber by the original definition of the word, i.e. old indian or flathead stripped down, but it is what the word has evolved to become. People get too hung up in labels.

You like it and ride it, that's what counts.

P.s. i understand the function of your sissy, I still think it looks ridiculous. Lol. Form over function sometimes my man.

Comment

• OldSchoolBully
                            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by NHMike

A rusty bike thrown together, is just a Rusty Bike.
                            That thing is decidedly fresh, clean and newly thrown together for a rat. The argument over what constitutes a rat is down to opinion. The strict 'Ridden All the Time' is one definition, use of non OEM parts and fixtures, on-the-wing repairs etc. Personally, as long as someone doesn't buy a shiney new bike, sprays it matte, glues some Halloween decorations to it and passes it off as a rat, I'm good with it.

Comment

• davidabl
                              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by OldSchoolBully
                              . The argument over what constitutes a rat is down to opinion.
                              A narrow,precise definition of what constitutes a "Rat" is kind of missing the whole point of
                              Ratdom...

Generic rat: older beat-up bike, typically Japanese, typically rattle-canned flat black (primer or rust
                              also qualifies 'tho) May or may not have odd crap attached. Attitude is "DILLYGAF".-
                              I.E. "Do I Look like I Give A Fuck" that you have a shiny new bike and I DON'T.

Motivation similar to those "art cars' you sometimes see with little toys etc etc glued on to them.
                              Certainly for the RatBikes that have odd stuff attached.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;