Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dylan529
    • Feb 2019

Bdl motor pulley

So I've got this bdl kit here. I'm testing how everything is going to fit up. The kits brand new from HD restorations.
    When I'm installing my motor pulley I feel like it's not going onto the shaft very well. I've got a 52 motor, with short tapered shaft, I'm using the key supplied with the bdl kit.
    I glue the key into the keyway and start my pulley on the shaft. I'm using a tool I made to hold the pulley so I can tighten to around 130 ft lbs. It seems as though the nuts only tightening on 1/3rd of the way. I thought Maybe the supplied key was sitting a little high on the shaft holding up the way the tapers fitting so I tried installing it with no key. It helped a bit but still about 1/2 of the nuts threads are still visible.

I haven't tried tightening on the clutch hub yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211203_211348.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	1347607

Name:	20211203_211326.jpg
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	1347608
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

What about a few pics of the keyway how deep it's cut............. Even the nut doesn't look deep enough......

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
      • Apr 2010

BDL is the challenge.

Comment

• DustyDave
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

For tapered shafts I assemble them without the key hand tight and measure or mark the installed depth. If they go to the same depth with the key it's probably good to torque if not it's time to break out the blue or magic marker and needle files. For flywheels and other important stuff I hand lap towards where i need it to set.
        If it's going on to full contact and the right depth a thinner washer or machining a little relief for the nut might be in order.
        Dusty
        Driving that train, high on cocaine
        Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
        Trouble ahead, trouble behind
        And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• DazedandConfused
          • Nov 2021

Originally posted by BuddhahoodVato
          BDL is the challenge.
          I have nothing of value to add to the discussion, but I agree with you.

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

You're attempting to use the factory nut ...

BDL makes their own for that application ...

The one on the left is for the 54 and back 1" taper shafts ..
            Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Dylan529
              • Feb 2019

Tomorrow I'll pull the pulley and get some pics. After my first attempt tightening to spec I found that the key made a mark in the pulley keyway. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow. It's as if the key was holding it up before it found a good home. Also I was able to remove the pulley easily from the crankshaft. Now that I tired installing it without the key I'll need to pull the pulley off the shaft.

It definitely goes on further without the key installed so I might need dusty Dave to explain that process to me a bit better for a newbie

And drag, I'm using the nut that was supplied with the bdl kit I bought, but the one in that Pic looks like it would be a better fit for my application.

Comment

• JBinNC
                • Dec 2018

Many times keys need to be fit to shafts. I find most keys on H-D need to be thinned slightly so they fully bottom in the keyway. You can thin them by rubbing on a coarse bench stone, or sandpaper. The key should be a tap in fit, not as loose as a slip fit in most cases, but not so tight that you have to hammer it in. If it is still too proud of the shaft to allow the mating part to seat, cut a little off the top of the key.

Jim

Comment

• Dylan529
                  • Feb 2019

That makes sense to me I think I'll try removing g some key material until I can install the pulley to the same depth as I can with no key installed. I took pictures for examples of what I'm dealing with. They're all sideways for some reason Click image for larger version

Name:	20211205_102202.jpg
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	1321323Click image for larger version

Name:	20211205_102238.jpg
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	1321324Click image for larger version

Name:	20211205_102301.jpg
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	1321325Click image for larger version

Name:	20211205_102314.jpg
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	1321326Click image for larger version

Name:	20211205_102314.jpg
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	1321326

Comment

• tzienlee
                    • Apr 2024

that pully should be hardened,
                    how did the galling up, & marking of the woodruff key slot happen ?....
                    it shouldnt be soft enough that it marks & distorts the pully simply by tightning it, like the marks seem to show,
                    the Key is meant to be the soft 'Weak Link' so the pully or shaft are not damaged.
                    ...i gotta say i have only worked on a couple of BDL kits & both had fitting issues with the front pully, but they were both on EVO's,
                    I prefer Karata or the original Phase 3 myself & never had problems fitting them,
                    i have also had to run Taps down the nut & a Die down the sprocket shaft before when they have been too tight,
                    it seems a lot of after market parts seem lacking in accuracy during production.

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

Isn't that motor sprocket shaft seal suppose to be a little below flush with a snap-ring ... ??

Name:	Screenshot 2021-12-05 130022.jpg
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1321327

Last edited by Dragstews; 12-05-2021, 11:19 AM.
                      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

Looks like the wrong key to me............ And Jesse is on to something with that seal being out so far........

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

I have another question..... Have you ever had this motor running???????????

Comment

• JBinNC
                            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                            Looks like the wrong key to me............ And Jesse is on to something with that seal being out so far........
                            Key is correct. It's the same as the shaft/flywheel key on those old pans. But that does not mean it will fit the new pulley without maybe taking a little off the top of it.

Jim

Second thoughts, and a tip of the hat to Tattooo, and I apologize. The OP just may have a clutch hub key there, which is not the right thing. Hard to tell from the picture but it bears a second look for sure.

Jim
                            Last edited by JBinNC; 12-05-2021, 4:03 PM. Reason: Second thoughts

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
                              Second thoughts, and a tip of the hat to Tattooo, and I apologize. The OP just may have a clutch hub key there, which is not the right thing. Hard to tell from the picture but it bears a second look for sure.

Jim
                              Thank you...... It looked to thick to me............

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;