Harley front ends on metric bikes any info?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScaryDAve
    • Jun 2012

Harley front ends on metric bikes any info?

So in chopping my '83 KZ1100, the inevitably obvious notion pops into my mind that If I used a Harley front end, the availability of cool parts that will easily fit it is far greater than if I continue to use metric bike parts.

The state I live in right now (Mo.) is the state I am going to keep the bike registered in and they get pretty touchy once you cut the neck on the frame. I really don't want a "special construction" title for this bike so I am left with the inevitable question. How do I get a Harley front end on this bike?

I would also like to avoid custom 6-800 dollar trees. I remember somewhere having seen one article somewhere that, with some machining put a Harley steering head inside a metric steering head which could then be adapted to any Harley front end of the same size. Which opened up a world of springer, girders, wide glides and such.

Before anyone gets tempted to chime in with "Harley are crap" or similar, I don't care. A bike is a bike to me and I simply want access to more choices so that I can get the look and easy access to after market parts that I want.

Any suggestions?
    SD
  • Ogcoda
    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by ScaryDAve
    So in chopping my '83 KZ1100, the inevitably obvious notion pops into my mind that If I used a Harley front end, the availability of cool parts that will easily fit it is far greater than if I continue to use metric bike parts.

The state I live in right now (Mo.) is the state I am going to keep the bike registered in and they get pretty touchy once you cut the neck on the frame. I really don't want a "special construction" title for this bike so I am left with the inevitable question. How do I get a Harley front end on this bike?

I would also like to avoid custom 6-800 dollar trees. I remember somewhere having seen one article somewhere that, with some machining put a Harley steering head inside a metric steering head which could then be adapted to any Harley front end of the same size. Which opened up a world of springer, girders, wide glides and such.

Before anyone gets tempted to chime in with "Harley are crap" or similar, I don't care. A bike is a bike to me and I simply want access to more choices so that I can get the look and easy access to after market parts that I want.

Any suggestions?
    SD
    There are a few topics on this if you want to do a search. But I think it comes down to the neck bearings. Correct me if i'm wrong but the ID (inside diameter ) is bigger on the harley's bit the OD (Outside diameter) is the same. I'll be doing it on my Kz1000 here pretty soon I'll keep you updated.

Comment

• Stabler
      • Jan 2011

Or you could do a stem swap on the front end you want with the one you've got. Takes a little grinding and welding (depending on how yours and the one you want's done from the factory).

Comment

• ScaryDAve
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Stabler
        Or you could do a stem swap on the front end you want with the one you've got. Takes a little grinding and welding (depending on how yours and the one you want's done from the factory).
        Yeah I am tempted to try doing that.

Comment

• jessadamessa
          • Apr 2012

You can modify the stem, replace your neck with a harley neck, or make some custom bearings. I went the custom bearings route. Although, I'll probably make a custom stem at some point so I can use off the shelf bearings, but for now it works perfect. I can probably make the bearings for ya, shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

Comment

• BillySlicks
            • Sep 2009

Any place that sells machine taper bearing in your city will have the bearing you need. It's dead fucking simple.
            Measure inside ID (neck stem) and outside OD (steering head)
            Give them the measurements at the bearing place. Wait the 1-5 days.
            problem solved.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;