How Do I Shorten 1969 Forks?...Need Help Please!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scottyc25
    • Apr 2012

How Do I Shorten 1969 Forks?...Need Help Please!

Hey everybody! I'm new to the forums and Triumph builds as well. I'm hoping I can tap into the knowledge you guys have and maybe someday help someone else!

Here's the scoop (long story short version):

A long time ago my Dad's brother bought a 1963 Triumph T100SS (500c.c.) as a basket case and rebuilt it and rode it for a time. He and my Dad were farting around on it in the winter and hit the concrete steps at their parents' place and bent the forks. The original forks were replaced with a 1969 front end. Fast forward to 2008 -- The Triumph has been sitting in my Dad's shed for 15 years or so and hasn't been on the road since 1980 and I ask if I can have it and put it back on the road. Now it's mine!

Fast forward to today.

After stripping it down to a bare frame, I've put on a David Bird bolt-on hardtail that has a 4" stretch and a 2.5" drop. Now I need to level out my bike. That being said, here's my question (sorry for taking so long!):

What is the best way to shorten my 1969 forks?

I've looked into getting some 2" under-size forks made by Forking By Frank and that looks like the way to go but if I do that, will I need to get shorter springs and stanchions? Or can the stanchions be cut??

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!

Here is a pic of the bike before tear-down and as a rolling chassis (before new rims/spokes)
    Attached Files
  • fightclub
    • Oct 2009

here you go , pretty well covered
    Specializing in custom motorcycle parts and accessories for Chopper and Bobber motorcycles. Aftermarket parts for Harley Davidson Sportster, Triumph Bonneville, Yamaha XS 650 and many more. FREE SHIPPING ON ALL US ORDERS OVER $99!

Comment

• Scottyc25
      • Apr 2012

Thanks Fightclub! I've actually looked at that tutorial (studied it, actually) but Triumph changed the fork design in '71 (that's what year of forks that How To shows you). The style of forks I have are the previous design to those and have a set of external springs and (I think) take a little more monkeying around to shorten. I appreciate the help though!

Comment

• crush1776
        • May 2011

My understanding is that it is the same basic concept. You still need to make/ acquire some spacers, you just need to cut the external springs by about 1.5" to shorten them and create some preload from the 2" spacers.

Comment

• matix99def
          • Jul 2011

Ya I am trying the same thin right now. My 72 Daytona has a front end with external springs. I undid the set screw and bottom my front end out and the spring cup is half inch from the bottom tree. Can I not just cut the tubes down put them back in and should have plenty travel still right? Or is it harder than that. I'm not cutting the springs just the tubes

Comment

• Scottyc25
            • Apr 2012

Thanks Crush1776! I was wondering if it was that simple. But what about the stanchions? Do those have to be cut as well?? I didn't think you could shorten the springs/add spacers and still have room for the full length stanchion. Do you (or anyone else) know??

Also...does anyone know anything about Forum etiquette?? I was searching the web (again) to hopefully figure out this fork lowering thing and completely by accident stumbled onto another forum with a HUGE thread on how it's done.

I don't want to post a link to it on here unless it's ok to do so.

Comment

• SSWolf18
              • Dec 2011

i just finished up a 69' frontend. DB hardtail,4" stretch,2.5 drop
              I bought new tubes (stanchions)-stock length (22")
              had spacers made 2" longer then the stock plastic spacers.
              cut 1.5" from springs
              I really like how it turned out

if you cut the tubes,you will need to cut the step in for the bushings and drill dampening holes. if you cut the top you will need to tap for the top nuts
              i'd suggest new (shorter) tubes,if you want it in the weeds.

Comment

• Scottyc25
                • Apr 2012

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread that I started but I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out again. I just pulled my old, rusty '69 T100 forks apart and with brand new parts (springs, seals, etc.) including new 2" under stock fork tubes made by Forking By Frank ($204 for the set in case anyone is wondering on a price). I still need to cut the springs down a bit but when I'm ready to put them all back together and re-attach them to the bike, how do I compress the springs enough to get the tapers of the fork tubes up into the top part of the trees to fasten the cap nut to hold it all together?

Do I need a special spring compressor tool? Or am I just not thinking outiside the box enough?

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Comment

• Lindy
                  • Apr 2012

yeah your gonna need a fork puller, you can make one if you have a extra fork cap

Comment

• Scottyc25
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Lindy
                    yeah your gonna need a fork puller, you can make one if you have a extra fork cap

Yeah, I have the old ones (I bought new ones). I'm new to this whole bike chopping/building game and can't think of how I could make a puller with one of the caps. I'm assuming once you pull the fork up high enough, you'd have to 'lock' it in place to be able to fasten the cap nut in the top.

Can you explain how I'd build a puller using one of the cap nuts please?

Comment

• Scottyc25
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Lindy

Yeah, I have the old ones (I bought new ones). I'm new to this whole bike chopping/building game and can't think of how I could make a puller with one of the caps. I'm assuming once you pull the fork up high enough, you'd have to 'lock' it in place to be able to fasten the cap nut in the top.

Can you explain how I'd build a puller using one of the cap nuts please?

Comment

• TroyFab
                        • Aug 2009

Here's one I made.

Comment

• Scottyc25
                          • Apr 2012

Sweet! Thanks TroyFab! I think I got it figured out now. I just need a couple o-rings to replace the old ones that are all dried out and I'll be ready to throw it all back together!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;