Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grashopr
    • Oct 2009

Flying Monkey Build Thread

I followed SuperCrouton's Angry Monkey build from another forum, and fell in love with the Cole Foster style of bike. I decided that my next build would be along the same lines. I loved the lines and the stance, so we got ahold of a 65 Tiger and got started. This build is going to take at least a couple months, hopefully having it done for springtime.

After looking through the local ads for a while, found this 1965 650 Tiger. The price was right. Didn't run after the owner put in high compression pistons. This is the spot that we found it; in a barn behind the guys house. Apparently he and his brother had done the work and got frustrated with it years ago and let it set.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CLAd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	1326375

We got it to the shop, cleaned it up and got it running. Ball valve was stuck, dumping oil everywhere. Other than that, it runs like a champ.

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1326376

Stripped it down, trying to sell everything that isn't needed to fund the parts we need.

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1326377

Stripped down the frame to the bare essentials. Still a little more left to go. Started mocking everything up.

Name:	IMG_1685.JPG
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1326378

I have a springer from the 80's that is waaaayy long right now. Still needing a 4-Under springer setup. Ordered front tire so we can mock up the wheel. Currently it sits with 3.5" of clearance, which seems pretty low to me, but it looks good.
    Last edited by Grashopr; 02-16-2011, 1:11 PM.
  • Pete
    • Sep 2009

Looks good so far. Keep the pics coming!

Comment

• Grashopr
      • Oct 2009

Got a little more done yesterday. Got the old bearing races out of the head, got a lot of the frame paint off, the front end set and marked to clearance for the steering stops, and started getting the frame set up for our cabling. Waiting on the correct gas tank, but set a spare OEM that I had setting around just for shits n giggles. Need to find a 21" front rim between 1.85" and 2.5" wide so I can get the tire on it and get my axle centerline height. Then we can get the numbers done for cutting the front end down and for the dimensions of the rockers. Wont be getting much more done til after the holiday now.

Name:	IMG_1698.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1235408

Name:	IMG_1699.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1235409

Name:	IMG_1700.jpg
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1235410
      Last edited by Grashopr; 12-24-2009, 3:19 AM.

Comment

• Grashopr
        • Oct 2009

Got the motor back in the frame for exhaust setup and to get the frame prepped for the hidden wiring. Also prepped the gas tank to build the internal oil tank. Still trying to find a 4-under front end. Argh...

Name:	IMG_1780.jpg
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	1235465

Name:	IMG_1785.jpg
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	1235466

Name:	IMG_1787.jpg
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	1235467

Comment

• Grashopr
          • Oct 2009

Got the separation plate built and the oil filler cap aligned and partially brazed on today, going to finish the cap tomorrow and get the separation plate installed tomorrow, possibly even get the tunnel back in the shell if possible.

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	1235474

Name:	IMG_1794.jpg
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	1235475

Name:	IMG_1800.jpg
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	1235476

Comment

• Grashopr
            • Oct 2009

Haven't updated in a few days, been busy. Got the oil tank built inside the stock gas tank, then wasn't happy with the way that it was going to turn out, so decided to build my own tank and build an oil tank under the seat that followed the lines of the DB hardtail. Also started building some aluminum plates to cover the new rear motor mount brackets that would look better with the primary and transmission cases.

Name:	IMG_0132.jpg
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	1235595

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	1235596

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	1235599

Name:	IMG_0138.jpg
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	1235597

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	1235598
            Last edited by Grashopr; 01-10-2010, 1:30 AM.

Comment

• Grashopr
              • Oct 2009

Got the tunnel most of the way in, pie-cut the head end of the tank tonight, I only get a few hours at night to work on it, so it's not going nearly as fast as I want. Front end should be here any day (ordered it almost 2 weeks ago..). The tank is going to need lots and lots of filler.

Pie cutting the front of the tank, the left has been cut, the right has not.

Name:	IMG_1941.jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	1235701

After filling and semi-smoothing the front end. Any guesses on how many pinholes there are? Lol.

Name:	IMG_1943.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1235702

Comment

• Pete
                • Sep 2009

Lookin' great, sorry you put all that work into the first tank, but the new one looks sweet!!!!

Comment

• Grashopr
                  • Oct 2009

Gas tank is finished up, brake line routing in the subrame and frame started tonight after getting the rear motor plates built. Doing tank mounts tomorrow night. The tank isn't 100%, but TONS of respect to the guys who bang these things out day after day. I now know why the TV guys make their tanks out of aluminum. Beating on steel is a complete PITA.

Name:	IMG_1966.jpg
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1235804

Name:	IMG_1967.jpg
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1235805

Name:	IMG_1968.jpg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1235806

Name:	IMG_1969.jpg
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	1235807

Comment

• Grashopr
                    • Oct 2009

Got a little more done in the last week, got the headlight hung, ended up getting the neck bearings from LowBrow, but they ended up sending the wrong upper bearing. They said they are sending another, just waiting now. Charlie is sending me a skinny front hoop w/o brakes and a 16" rear so I can mount up the Avons that came in. Got the oil tank design finalized and started on the main portion of it. Anyone have any idea what thread pitch I need for the triumph basket style filter inside the oil tank? Also, what diameter of tubing do I need to run my return line so I can get pressure to the rocker feed line?

Anyways.. got the seat pan built and mocked up with a beehive spring. Still unsure about how that's going to work. Got a 12V stator ready to replace the 6V that's in it so I have more options on headlight, taillight and coils. Got the rear motor mount nearly finished. The gas tank is completely sealed up and will be starting on bodywork tomorrow. The rear fender is getting close to needing struts made. Just need a couple extra hands around to help mock them up. And the bars and hand controls are in, but I need a tubing bender to get a little bend in them.

Comment

• ridemore16
                      • Oct 2009

looking good!!! Keep the pics coming, I love how this bike is coming together. I had a Cole Foster tank on my first bike...they give such great lines!

Comment

• Pete
                        • Sep 2009

This thing is really shaping up! Keep up the awesome work!

Comment

• Grashopr
                          • Oct 2009

I really loved the Cole Foster tanks, but we ended up building this one out of 20ga flat steel on the shot bag, english wheel and planishing hammer. I got it a little thinner than Cole's and with a little bit more cut at the front bottom edge. But the Cole Foster tanks are awesome!

Comment

• Grashopr
                            • Oct 2009

Got my front wheel in today from Charlie. The rear isn't a 16, but we're fixing it. I set the front up to check clearances... wow it's tall!

Also got the tank surfaced now that it holds fluids without leaking. Starting to look like a workable tank! Yippee!

Also got some bars to cut down; internal throttle and clutch setup from an old Harley. I'm hoping the internal clutch will work out. If not, I have a backup plan.

Comment

• Grashopr
                              • Oct 2009

It's been over 2 months since my last update... when customers have money, my stuff goes on the back burner. Got back on it this week for a couple hours though. Got the exhaust started, but now I need some 1.75" dia exhaust bends on a 2" radius (mandrel). I found some online with 2.5"CLR and ordered a couple U-bends. But still looking for the elusive 2"CLR>

STILL waiting on one of the two 16" dia rear hoops to show up that I've paid for so I can mock up the rear fender, get fender struts on it and finish the seat. Til I do that, no idea where the forward controls are going to go, and until I get that done, can't run my cables for brake or shift. So... pretty much everything but the exhaust and oil tank (got a surprise on that one) are waiting on me to either find a 16" hoop to put on my Triumph hub, or to have one of the two that I've paid for and never shown up actually show up. But, here's a semi-updated pic:

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;