Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NGH450
    • Jan 2012

Parallel Twins Coil...

i have an 82 cm450e that the coil aparently went out on yesterday. I pulled the coil from my identical parts bike and slapped that back in to get it running again.

so my question is are the coils on these old honda's or old parallel twins the same and is there a cheaper option for repleacing it with something from a different bike or vehicle?

just wondering, the bikes running for now but i want to get a "new" coil on it rather than just wait for this one to go bad too....

Thanks - Nick
  • schloss
    • Oct 2011

I wouldn't worry about it. Coils don't fail very often, if you look at the grand scheme of things. I'd just run it and forget about it.

I don't know offhand what coil you would need to replace it if you had to have a new one. I think that the old stuff is made a lot better than the new stuff.

Comment

• NGH450
      • Jan 2012

thats what i was going to do but at some point want to replace the coil with a new one and have both bikes running...although both spark plug wires look like garbage. have to figure out how to put new wires on.

Comment

• MrFuckingBrandon
        • Oct 2009

Check the ohm resistance for the stock coils in the manual. As long as you get coils with the same resistance you should be good.

Comment

• NGH450
          • Jan 2012

i'll have to check both of them now because i made it home and then later went for a short 4-5 mile ride and then turned off the bike at the baseball field to watch a guy from works little league team play for a bit then when i was ready to leave it wouldn't start and it had no spark again . i was about a mile from home so i started pushing it and went about 4 blocks then tried to start it and it started right up so i hopped on and rode about two blocks before it died then pushed it the rest of the way home.

could there be another issue causing this...coils seem obvious but i honestly dont know a ton about these old bikes and their electrical systems...

Comment

• OldSchoolBully
            • Aug 2011

From waht I understand, the twin coils are only limited by resistance. They are pretty much interchangable. I am having the same issue with a lack of spark. Since I dismantled the cycle I've changed out the plugs, regapped them, cleaned the points, and a variety of other jobs. It remains to be seen if any if this has worked.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;