Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon
    • Aug 2009

what foam did you use. I tried doing one of mine and used a "kneeling pad" as the foam. It was way to stiff. Thanks

Comment

• Pantsbeer
      • Aug 2009

I used the stuff they cary at joanns. It's semi dense foam but not to stiff and nice and comfortable.

Comment

• wolfpaak
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by hellbilly1932
        when you did the first one did you pull the styrofoam out of the helmet and redo it like the factory, with the liner wrapped over the styro? I did one that way and it was a bitch! I like this idea.

How do you get the styro out? Break it into chunks? Or take it out and use just foam to build it back up? Been hoping to find someone who has done this before that is willing to give pointers!
        THANKS!
        Kenny

Comment

• Pantsbeer
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by wolfpaak
          How do you get the styro out? Break it into chunks? Or take it out and use just foam to build it back up? Been hoping to find someone who has done this before that is willing to give pointers!
          THANKS!
          Kenny
          Some times it's a pain in the ass to get the styrofoam out but you just have to kinda work it sideways and maybe open the helmet a little with your hands. It will come out you just have to mess with it a little. I used all new foam on the first on I did also. I just had a cloth liner over the styrofoam that had a decrotive stich on it and I made templetes from that to make the pieces. The first helmet I made individual peices all the way around and it took forever and was a pain. The way I did it this time with the one piece was much easier and faster. You can pm me as well if you need more help.

Comment

• NHMike
            • Apr 2024

AWESOME!! This gets my vote!! Thanks for the tech, can't wait to give mine a shot!!!

Comment

• Markee
              • Sep 2009

Very nice Mr. Pantsbeer!

Comment

• dukerollo
                • Jan 2010

Wow, great thread. Thanks to this site I now have all of the info I need to rehab my old helmet. Good stuff.

Comment

• scottylook
                  • Sep 2009

Man that looks great! Really good info as well, good write up. Ill have to try my hand at one I got in the garage

Comment

• Edge
                    • Jan 2010

Thanks for the write up. I have a New old stock Bell Tour Star II bought off fleabay for $20.00. The padding is totally gone looks like black dandruff. Gonna start the process soon.

Comment

• Pantsbeer
                      • Aug 2009

I'm super stoked that you guys like it. As a side note when glueing the ear pads make sure you get both surfaces real good or use a fabric glue thats strong cause as I found out I didnt glue mine very well and they fell out. I dont think I sprayed both sides good enough.

Comment

• DeathMarch
                        • Feb 2010

Fantasic write up. I have an old Buco helmet I bought off fleabay and it needs to re-lined. I am going to pull it out of the closet and give it a try. Thanks for the info.

Comment

• Trixie75
                          • Apr 2024

Thanks for the info! I have three helmets that I need to redo. You rock!

Comment

• handbuilt
                            • Feb 2010

Thanks for the post, Finding more and more here that is very usefull.

Does anyone know where to pick up a replacement d ring? I just got a blue metal flake from a friend and the d ring is torn so I would like ot replace it if I can.

But agian this post is most helpfull as it will be stage two of the project.

Comment

• convergecult
                              • Mar 2010

Thanks so much for this! I'm just fishing up mine with my Mcgill t-shirt!

Comment

• deathbirthday
                                • Oct 2009

Thanks!!!

Just finished this helmet after reading this feed.

THANKS for the tips essay!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;