CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Hybrid View

Default TECH: Reline your helmet!

So I've been meaning to do this for a bit now and finally got around to doing it the last couple of days. For those that wear the vintage helmets you know that they shit kinda goofy on your head and like to balloon up when your on the freeway. I relined one of my helmets a while back but it took some time in doing and I knew there was an easier and faster way to do it, so I sat down the other day and worked out a new easier way to reline your vintage lid. It's pretty easy to do and doesnt cost to much for the supplys either and you dont have to have any expensive equipment. All you need is some material of your choosing, spray adhesive and an old shirt again of your choosing. I started out using some elmers spray adhesive but then found my good stuff that works much better.
    This is the stuff I used. Its only a couple bucks at Joanns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2768.JPG 
Views:	1482 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	2380

So since I had already relined one helmet I used that for some of my measurements for front and back height. My measurements were 4 1/2" front and 3 1/2" back. I got the original pattern from the lining that was alredy in the helmet.

Name:	IMG_2739.JPG 
Views:	1340 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	2381

It's gonna differ from helmet sizes so I would say play with it a little. My helmets were small and the other s/m so I would assume you might need to make them a little bigger for a large helmet. After I got the height I measured around the helmet for the length.

Name:	IMG_2736.JPG 
Views:	1393 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	2382

I ended up cutting it down about four inches so it would fit. I didnt take into account the foam thickness. I then measured out on my foam and made my design. I used 1" foam for this part.

Name:	IMG_2741.JPG 
Views:	948 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	2383

Name:	IMG_2742.JPG 
Views:	755 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	2387

I cut out my material and after a little trimming got the fit I was looking for.

Name:	IMG_2743.JPG 
Views:	1472 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	2385

I then took my cloth and did a ruff cut around my foam leaving plenty of extra to wrap around. You can always cut it down as you glue it.

Name:	IMG_2745.JPG 
Views:	1103 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	2386

I then spayed the back of the cloth and foam. I let it sit for about a minute before sticking the two together. Make sure you spay both pieces or it wont be a permanent bond. I started with the sides and after getting it glued down sprayed and attached the rest. I didnt take pics of me doing this but I figured it's pretty easy to understand.

Name:	IMG_2748.JPG 
Views:	896 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	2388

Name:	IMG_2749.JPG 
Views:	736 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	2389

Name:	IMG_2750.JPG 
Views:	819 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	2390

It needs to set a little before messing with it so I left it until the next day and fit it into the helmet to see how it fit. After I got it back in the helmet I measured the opening to make my center pad.

Name:	IMG_2757.JPG 
Views:	768 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	2391

Name:	IMG_2758.JPG 
Views:	580 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	2392

I then transfered my measurements to my foam and to make a box and then I rounded the courners of it.

Name:	IMG_2759.JPG 
Views:	415 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	2393

For the center pad I used 1/2" foam so the helmet sits nice and low on your head. I then cut out the pad and checked my fit.

Name:	IMG_2756.JPG 
Views:	625 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	2394

I then found the shirt I wanted for the center of my helmet and then checked the size with my pad to make sure it was gonna fit nice.
    I went with an old Johnny Cash shirt I had lying around.

Name:	IMG_2761.JPG 
Views:	721 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	2395

Name:	IMG_2760.JPG 
Views:	499 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	2396

After I cut the shirt design out I placed the pad back in the helmet along with the already done outer piece to get in in the right spot so I could glue it in. I then pulled the outer part out carfully so I didnt move the center pad and then traced the center pad so I could pull it out and glue in down in the right spot.

Name:	IMG_2763.JPG 
Views:	485 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	2397

Name:	IMG_2764.JPG 
Views:	444 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	2398

Since the ear pieces were in good condition and I was using black for the center I decided to leave them in. This meant I needed to cover them up while I was spaying the adhesive.

Name:	IMG_2766.JPG 
Views:	522 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	2399

After attaching the center pad in put all the pieces back in the helmet with my shirt so I could get the shirt centered up. I then again carfully removed the outer pad and glued the shirt on the center pad. I did this by lifting half it and spaying both the pad and shirt and a little of the helmet. I then did the same thing on the other side.

Name:	IMG_2771.JPG 
Views:	518 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	2400

Name:	IMG_2772.JPG 
Views:	474 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	2401

Name:	IMG_2773.JPG 
Views:	856 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	2402

While I was doing all this I noticed there was gonna be a a couple small spots that the inside of the helmet was gonna be seen due to the stock ear pads not meating up perfectly with the new pad. I cut a couple pieces of my cloth and glued them in prior to gluing in the outer pad. Make sure you look carfully at all the spots on the helmet that could show threw because I ovelooked a spot just inside the ear pads that the helmet showed threw and had to pull it all out and glue bigger stips in.

Name:	IMG_2754.JPG 
Views:	569 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	2403

These are the first pieces I made. I had to manuver the cloth around the curve of the helmet as I layed them in to get them to fit proper.

Name:	IMG_2755.JPG 
Views:	534 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	2404

This is what I ended up with.

Name:	IMG_2775.JPG 
Views:	717 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	2405

I also glued a strip in the front were the seam is just to be safe. I then glued the outer pad and moved it around until it was in position and looked good. Like I said make sure you spay both pieces and wait a minute for it to tack up. Dont wait to long on this portion cause you want to be able to move a little unless your that good that you can place it in perfectly the first time. This is what I ende up with when all was said and done.

Name:	IMG_2777.JPG 
Views:	1361 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	2406

thank you for taking the time to explain how to do this. I've got 6 old 3/4 helmets that need to be relined. I was thinking about selling them because I couldn't wear them. now I can try to save them. thanks again.

awesome, I need to do this so it's perfect. Thanks for sharing

great write up! looks good and easy, deffinly alot easier than i thought. i'll have to remember this when it comes time

you mean theres more than old styrofoam and linen? oh thank god! my helmet hurts my head after awhile....

Yeah the first one I did was a pain in the ass. The way I did it this time is really easy and simple. It's one of those things that people think is gonna be hard to do but really isnt.

when you did the first one did you pull the styrofoam out of the helmet and redo it like the factory, with the liner wrapped over the styro? I did one that way and it was a bitch! I like this idea.

awsome man im gonna have to give that a try

Great thread!

This thread was started about a year or more ago, so I was wondering, is the spray glue holding up pretty well?

Quote Originally Posted by zamochit View Post
    Great thread!

This thread was started about a year or more ago, so I was wondering, is the spray glue holding up pretty well?
    i wore mine every day this summer and it still looks like new. i got a loctite brand spray at the local fabric store and follow the directions for permanent bond.

Ok, great.. Thanks guys.

Nice, I needed some help. Have the idea, did not know how to apply.

I'm glad that this is still helping people after its been on here that long. The spray adhesive is stil holding. I haven't worn it a ton but as long as you get a good adhesive it should hold up. The key to it holding up and being a permanent bond is to spray both pieces and let it tak up a little and then stick the two together.l

This forum is a great reference and I will surely use this when I do mine. Thanks.

Another great article and unfortunetley another trip to Joann Fabrics - The looks I get, definetly not their average customer!

Share This