Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dig
    • Oct 2011

stick welder or mig?

I want to buy a welder only for welding up tabs and brackets and shit. No frames, no structural shit. Money is tight, so I'll be picking up something reasonably cheap. Would I be better off with a stick welder or a mig/flux core? It kinda seems like stick welders are a little more versatile since you just need different sticks for different metals. Any ideas?
  • fucknut0
    • Jan 2012

mig

All the way I'm gettin me a MIG I got a stick welder but it sucks or I suck but just my two cents

Comment

• randommayhem
      • Dec 2011

Find a used mig

Comment

• Frankenfab
        • Mar 2010

You get what you pay for man. A cheap cracker box (dragster) is going to essentially produce the same quality welds for a beginner as a cheap 110v MIG running flux. Starting 7018 rod or the like is a bit harder at first than running flux.... so maybe go with a home depot MIG. Running gas would just be a better way to go.

Comment

• ShytHed
          • Jun 2010

what he said, I've got both but I'm not much of a welder. I can make shit stick together with either one, but a mig welder is a beautiful thing because it can make any moron look like they can weld.

Comment

• bdock
            • Apr 2012

Go for a used 140-175 size MIG. Run gas and you'll thank us later. Flux aint bad if its all you got. Unless your welding Chromo or anything crazy E-71 flux cored wire will do anything pretty much. We use E-70S (the gas shielded version) at work to weld anything from T1 to mild. Flux gets deeper penetration if its identical scenarios, but whatever im just blabbering. Buy what you want.

Sticks are sweet. How much experience do you have?

Comment

• Kickstarts
              • Feb 2012

Gas MIG...and not from Harbor Freight either.

You can teach yourself to weld plate in a weekend with a manual and some practice. Sheetmetal is another story all together.

Comment

• ARBY
                • Apr 2024

Gas MIG, definitely. Unless you can afford and know how to use a TIG.

Comment

• Dig
                  • Oct 2011

back when I was working as a mechanic I used to weld up exhaust pipes and hangers with flux core. That was about 10-12 years ago but I think I remember how it goes. never used a tig or an arc welder. Realistically, I can afford a half decent flux core or cheap ass gas mig. I see a lot of super cheap stick welder machines too so I'm curious about that.
                  I've read tons of posts about welders on here and I realize that tig is the way to go and mig gas is the next best but what's the deal with stick welding? I never hear much about that on here.
                  Again, I'm just looking to do some tabs and brackets.
                  Would oxy/acet be a decent option for stuff like that?

Comment

• Vinny
                    • Mar 2010

Gas mig and try to find a used 220V unit. If you think small now you wil just have to upgrade later. The minute you start getting good at welding your tabs and stuff your going to think "well wouldnt it be cool if I could..." and then you will be back in this same spot trying to buy another welder and wondering what to do with the one you have.

I have a lincoln 220V that I love (I learned on one of these welding my kz400 frame) and had to have one. you can usually find them used for 400 bucks or so (with a small bottle)

Comment

• Buzzman
                      • Jan 2012

If you're just attempting to weld some brackets and or tabs, a MIG will suffice as long as you're welding indoors or behind a wind screen - the gas is important to displace the oxygen around the weld bead so outside work without a wind screen can be a bitch - 120v MIG welding doesn't have the penetration that the bigger (220v - 221v) machines or ARC can provide. good for light guage stuff. Plus the area subjected to heat / warping is held to a medium

ARC welding - good penetration - better outdoor applications - not so great for extra light gauge sheet metal work unless you're good - a messier weld spatter area. Higher heat / warp area.

TIG - best cleanest weld - smallest, lowest heat / warp area - not as easy as the previous - takes some knack and skill - I've been doing this for years and I'm not that good. Machines are more expensive to say the least too.

OXY / ACET - brazing - highest heat warp area - good for cracks in exhaust pipes and galvanized fence posts

My $0.02

Comment

• Dig
                        • Oct 2011

Cool. Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like any of those methods will work for what I want, it just depends on how well and how clean.

Comment

• bdock
                          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Dig
                          back when I was working as a mechanic I used to weld up exhaust pipes and hangers with flux core. That was about 10-12 years ago but I think I remember how it goes. never used a tig or an arc welder. Realistically, I can afford a half decent flux core or cheap ass gas mig. I see a lot of super cheap stick welder machines too so I'm curious about that.
                          I've read tons of posts about welders on here and I realize that tig is the way to go and mig gas is the next best but what's the deal with stick welding? I never hear much about that on here.
                          Again, I'm just looking to do some tabs and brackets.
                          Would oxy/acet be a decent option for stuff like that?
                          Im pretty new here so I cant answer the second part. But stick/ARC is kind of dying for hobbyists, I think this is due to the fact that you can buy a 90 amp mig for $150 at home depot. So a bunch of folks are just doing that (probably a dumb idea on thier part. IMO) instead of learning to stick. Stick is and pretty cheap. I would try it if you can get one cheap in your area. That is if you dont mind grinding a little. Just pick up some 7018 or 7014 I like 14 a bit more. Its a faster moving rod.
                          Last edited by bdock; 05-02-2012, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• UncleMonkey
                            • Jan 2012

Buy a decent MIG - Linc/Miller/Hobart. Most come standard with flux core wire that works the same as stick (gasless), then when you save up throw the gauges on and buy a bottle and away you go. Yeah you can get a cheap stick but like everyone says soon you'll be looking for a MIG. A MIG can last you a long time before you need to step to a TIG.

Comment

• moespeeds
                              • Nov 2011

I learned on a cheap gas MIG, made a cool set of handlebars my first weekend using one, and they are still rocking on my Yami 3 years later with no issues. Then I saw a dude do TIG and next tax return I bought a Longevity 250a setup with pulse and all the other bells and whistles and plasma cut. Now I have no idea how I got by without it. For work I do some stick as I occasionally have to weld some real thick shit and appearance doesn't matter, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. If I were you, I'd go gas MIG even if you run flux core to save money you always have the option. I also agree with these guys, spend as much as you can afford to get as many options as possible, because once you get the hang of it you'll find yourself doing more and more shit. I never thought I'd have use for A/C and just last month I made a 3/8" aluminum dock plate for my guys and I'm gonna make some ramps for my trailer next week. You'll think up some uses, trust me. Sorry for the long post, but check out machines by Longevity and Everlast, they have some great machines for the price, and check out www.weldingtipsandtricks.com for ton of good info.

Before you jump on the Miller or Lincoln buy American band wagon, from what I've read online they got Chinese internals like everything else.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;