Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djroofus
    • Dec 2010

A whats it worth kinda thread

This guy i know had a 79 shovel with a bunch of work. Stroker motor, too much chrome, wide glide front end and wheel, and all the little stuff. he has receipts for the motor work and chrome. the only thing is there is no title. I believe he said its registered but what would i have to do to get it registered in CT. the vin is there but hard to read. what do you guys think its worth? would u buy it/ride it why/why not.

• planningoncrashing
    • Apr 2012

Depends entirely on how hard CT makes it to get a title. It's worthless if you have to jump through hoops for months and post a bond. Call the state and see what you'd be in for.

Comment

• 24Cycles
      • Sep 2009

Without knowing the vins its hard to say. If it was a flh matching numbers frame then its worth something. If its a FXE matching numbers its worth a little less. If its a hodge podge of shovelhead frame and motor not matching but clean its worth a lot less. If its a special construction its "worthless" due to the amount of hell it will take you to get it compliant and registered.

Without a vin verification and release of title from registered owner its not worth it. If he is the titled owner and it is on the books then it should be as simple as him going to your dmv, doing a lost title, putting a transfer to your name.

You also need make sure title is not salvaged. Tons of guys have purchased storm or accident damaged bikes. Building them and then selling them off to be registered by a new owner. To the new owner surprise they find out its a salvaged title and your stuck with it due to the bill of sale that says as is.

Comment

• Kickstarts
        • Feb 2012

They're a dime a dozen. 5K max and only because it's springtime. The title problem is a bad start and more money.

Comment

• Hooligan80
          • Jul 2010

I want to know where you're at that they are considered a dime a dozen

Comment

• dazegoneby
            • Apr 2024

the main thing is ,,,how bad do you want this shovel????

Comment

• Kickstarts
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Hooligan80
              I want to know where you're at that they are considered a dime a dozen
              Shovels are everywhere. A beautiful 80 full dresser with all the garbage and 15K in original paint just went for a smidge over 5K on eBay and with a clear title. If you can't find a shovel for 5K or under, you aren't looking.

There are 2 on eBay right now: Buy it Now: $5200, the auctions are for less...and this is springtime. 6 months ago, you could have had these bikes for a song. It's the absolute worst time of year to shop for a bike and you can have a shovel for 5K. Next week there will be even more for sale, take your pick.
              Last edited by Kickstarts; 04-24-2012, 5:57 AM.

Comment

• HotSnotRocket
                • Apr 2024

I'd also say 5k max but No Dime a Dozen stuff.

I found a nice "bagger" on CL a couple of weeks ago for 4k.

How big is the Stroker and how many miles on it? If this is going to be your First H-D, I'd think hard. Strokers can be Costly and have a much shorter life that a stock motor.

Are you looking at anything else or is this it?

With a title problem, I wouldn't touch it.

Comment

• BamBam
                  • Jun 2011

Where is the bike currently registered? If its out-of-state, its a bunch easier to register with a title in CT. You just have to take it for a VIN verification and then its good to register. Because of this, I never buy out-of-state bikes without title. If its currently registered in CT, all you need is a bill of sale, and then transfer the registration.

Comment

• kps
                    • Apr 2012

I know a guy with one for sale around here that puts it to shame, a 1981? FLH clear title, total custom work, awesome custom airbrushing, has a bigger stroker kit, & includes his earlier stroker kit, which was a 93" it is complete except for cases, which was in his, the engine has aprox 10,XXX & was built in last 2 years. he has owned the bike close to 20 years.

last I heard he is asking $8,000, but with him having a stroke a month ago, he may go lower, if he drops into the $5 - 6,XXX range, I guess I will put my project on hold, & get a loan & buy it.

Comment

• djroofus
                      • Dec 2010

Its registered in CT..so the same state.

I look at it everyday at work. lol its my bosses. I love the way it looks and feels.

ive beenlookin for bikes. i ride my dads 73 superglde. ive had gsxr 75o'sand whatnot im not new to riding. but a stroked vintage would be a cool point on the checklist. But im also not desperate to buy the bike. just figured you guys were the best to ask and get and idea whats up.

The big thing that attracts me to the bike is hed let me pay it off weekly but i could take the bike home wrench and ride on it. Hes askin 5k but without a title and the vins unclear enough the read(rusty, and the bottom end is polished so the engine numbers are hard to see..)

im unsure of the stroke but if i could see the receipts again id be able to tell you.

Comment

• djroofus
                        • Dec 2010

can u guys post some pics of your vin tags so i can see what im missing or if this one is comparable to urs. im used to seeins vins with like 20 characters

Comment

• 24Cycles
                          • Sep 2009

Vin will be 8 or 9 letters and numbers between stars. In 79' there were a hand full that were 9 letters and numbers between stars on frame and 9 numbers on the motor no stars. It was something HD was trying out until the DMV stopped them due to paperwork issues.

Your numbers should reads 2A*****H5 or something of that nature. With stars at each end.

Look at your dads vins it should look similiar

Comment

• BamBam
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by djroofus
                            Its registered in CT..so the same state.

I look at it everyday at work. lol its my bosses. I love the way it looks and feels.

ive beenlookin for bikes. i ride my dads 73 superglde. ive had gsxr 75o'sand whatnot im not new to riding. but a stroked vintage would be a cool point on the checklist. But im also not desperate to buy the bike. just figured you guys were the best to ask and get and idea whats up.

The big thing that attracts me to the bike is hed let me pay it off weekly but i could take the bike home wrench and ride on it. Hes askin 5k but without a title and the vins unclear enough the read(rusty, and the bottom end is polished so the engine numbers are hard to see..)

im unsure of the stroke but if i could see the receipts again id be able to tell you.
                            Dont worry about the title since its currently reg'd in CT and over 25 years old. Just get a bill of sale and his current registration, and transfer it to your name. Just take the vin off the registration, use it to get your insurance card, and show up at DMV with the insurance, old reg, and bill of sale, and you should be good to go. No one should even have to look at the bike.
                            Last edited by ChopEmUp; 04-24-2012, 9:39 AM.

Comment

• UncleMonkey
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Kickstarts
                              They're a dime a dozen. 5K max and only because it's springtime. The title problem is a bad start and more money.
                              Depends on where you are. Shovels are scarce around here. Even Evo's are getting hard to come by. A couples years back everyone was buying new bikes and Harley was giving ridiculous trade in values. The problem was none of these trade ins resurfaced, nowhere, gone, disappeared, dropped off the face of the earth. A friend visited a dealer in Manitoba and he told him Harley did an audit and ordered them to crush three transport containers worth of Flathead, 45, Knuckle, Pan, Shovel parts - complete in the crate from the factory Pan motors etc. Four months later the bean counters came back and ordered the destruction of another two containers of Evo parts. Dealer said the factory didn't want ANY old parts or bikes because everyone was chopping them and didn't want lawsuits coming in because someone died. Cut off the supply of old bikes/parts people will have to buy new, bankrupt aftermarket dealers and builders, (Jesse James, Custom Chrome), and convince everyone to only use genuine Harley accessories because everything else is just a blow up doll.

Around here one in a hundred bikes will be an Evo, Shovels are one in a thousand, and forget about anything older.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;