CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
    The chinese make what you tell them to make. The problems not the manufactuer, it's the people that outsource it. If you take some worn out piece of junk part and tell them to make a million of these for a buck a piece and don't worry about quality, thats what they do. Where do you think the machinery that makes the good stuff was made? The orient
    yep

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan80 View Post
    That's why designs should be patented,trademarked and copyrighted.
    Dennis Goodson's designs were patented, his patent numbers are inside the shells. The guy who knocked them off changed them (you don't even have to change them 20% or more anymore, it's down to 10-15%, depending on what you're copying) by first pulling the pattern off of Dennis' aircleaner parts (that's why "those" are physically bigger), eliminating the "vents" in the front, putting a little "fin" on each end of Dennis' center rib, and changing the mounting for the shell from each end of the shell, to the back of each end of the shell. That was enough to get his own brand-new patent on the knockoff. Nothing Dennis could do about it, and when Dennis' lawyer was going after the guy, the US Patent Office more or less said "Tuff shit, he got a patent on it from us, the design was changed enough, it's all legal".

It's nice to talk about patents, trademarks, and copyrights, but how many guys like Dennis Goodson, Fab Kevin, and the countless other small-time guys in this business that we all know have been jacked for their hard work and smarts, have the time and financial backing to afford a fight for their designs and patents in an international patent court that can take years to go through, and aren't able to get injunctions against the pirates to stop manufacturing their goods while they fight it? C'mon, let's get real on this. I barf every time i see somebody say "Well, they should have had a patent......".

Get Adobe Flash player

wow, I didn't know that the patent situation is that shitty at the moment.
    10-15% to change on a product isn't that much.

I think thats a real good reason to buy the original part and not the copied one.
    And this is not a matter of the country the product was made in.

thank you rich for bringing in this clear and objective information.

Get Adobe Flash player

I just read this whole thread I have the knock off it said made in USA so I guess USA does the knock offs now that being said I have it on my ironhead and it worked great out of the box I changed the jets still ran great the difference of the carbs are in the idle screw and that set up but shoot carb only costed 85 bucks cant beat that. I got into these old bikes because no one else liked em or wanted them and people where basically giving me the parts (sportsters are for girls) and I had to build my own or I basically couldn't afford one I'm poor so I have to build or cheaply buy my stuff butttttt...

I just fixed My 76 and now the carb is spitting gas from the main jet at all times probably just junk in the seat. Still good for. 85 bucks
    Last edited by Timmy2times; 10-02-2019 at 4:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

Get Adobe Flash player

Knockoffs are like chainsaw carbs, cheap enough if you don't mind risking an exchange to get a good one.

You can leak check carbs off the motorcycle by screwing them to whatever is handy to hold them horizontal. Check float height because good parts can be assembled sloppily.

The purpose of patents isn't perpetual vendor lock but basic mechanical designs are so simple and refined there's little low hanging fruit someone else can't work around and toilet float carbs are well over 100 years old. Even SU CV carbs are over a century now.

Ditto copyrights which are sometimes easier to enforce. The moral is make money as fast as you can then design something new or different.

Stuff like brackets are basically un-patentable. A simple plate with bolt holes is too basic.
    Last edited by farmall; 10-02-2019 at 5:35 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I couldn't find where it said "Made in USA"

Share This