Email Password Mobile Version / Desktop Version
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Ultima “E” Replacement Performance Carburetor, opinions?

seen these carbs on ebay going for like 220 brand new

The Ultima® R-2 Performance Carburetor is directly interchangeable with S&S® Super E Carburetors, also will accept S&S® jets & bolt pattern air filter assemblies. Patented design improvements over S&S® Carburetors include a relocated accelerator pump nozzle for increased throttle response and Thunder Jets are an easy bolt on, simply remove the plug and screw in the Thunder Jet.

i got an ironhead and in need of a carb, i was thinking of running a super e but even used they seem to be running the $250 to $300 range and i found one company that sells them for $300 new just for the carb which is fine cause i got the manifold and air cleaner but was wonder if anyone had any experience or thoughts on the ultima?

my thoughts are it's cheaper and sounds like they made some improvements but i don't really want to spend the $220 on a piece of crap when i could just spend the $300 on a proven carb...

Photobucket

Get Adobe Flash player

I think you should guinea pig it for us and let us know if it works for you...If it doesn't we could always take up a collection for you to help offset the cost

Get Adobe Flash player

Last issue of The Horse had a big write up on it. Check it out if you can.
    I would spend the cash for the S&S myself.
    Love mine. Keep your cash in the USofA.
    Last edited by ricki; 04-22-2012 at 5:18 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

fuck that blatant knock-off bullshit!!! Go with S&S if thats the style of carb you want.

Get Adobe Flash player

I agree with both ricki and tobiism. I read that article, buy the s&s.

Get Adobe Flash player

thx for the feedback! that was my gut feeling to begin with, usually you get what you pay for and have been burnt before trying to save a few bucks... just figured i'd put it out there to see what others thought

i'll just wait til i can find a deal on a used super e or just spend the $ on a new one, trying to keep this build on budget...

Get Adobe Flash player

Atta Boy.

Soooo.......... Did anyone else notice the crooked ass brass nut on the choke assembly of that import carb?

kinda makes
    ya wonder what other crooked ass ( shitty machine tolerances) parts may be lurking inside the guts.

Get Adobe Flash player

hey purerockfury.
    I had a super e, b and two throat on my 1980 ironhead. the one that had the best response was the super b with the bolt-on accelerator pump
    why don't you buy a used one on ebay and clean it. the rebuild is very easy to handle.

besides. where is ultima from?

by the way, the best carbs are from europe. sorry guys, no offence to your american pride.

and don'f forget the mikunis.

Get Adobe Flash player

bob, it actually had a super b on it when i bought it but it needed to be rebuilt and from people i've talked have said nothing but good things about super e's so i figured that's the way i'd go, so i sold the super b

i do know an old timer that has a few super b's and one with the accelerator pump on it he'd give me on the cheap BUT i was at his house last night talking about carbs and he brought up the ultima, he said if it was him he'd buy one and advised me too... this dude is know joke either he's in his 60's, he's been a bike mechanic for longer than i've been alive and builds fucking crazy engines i was actually drooling over a knuckle head he had on his bench he's doing for a customer. anyways he's got me thinking about it again....

i did notice the crooked nut too, not the best pic if your trying to sell these things...lol

i don't get the horse...did the article say it was a piece of shit or what?
    Last edited by purerockfury; 04-26-2012 at 4:40 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by purerockfury View Post
    seen these carbs on ebay going for like 220 brand new

The Ultima® R-2 Performance Carburetor is directly interchangeable with S&S® Super E Carburetors, also will accept S&S® jets & bolt pattern air filter assemblies. Patented design improvements over S&S® Carburetors include a relocated accelerator pump nozzle for increased throttle response and Thunder Jets are an easy bolt on, simply remove the plug and screw in the Thunder Jet.

i got an ironhead and in need of a carb, i was thinking of running a super e but even used they seem to be running the $250 to $300 range and i found one company that sells them for $300 new just for the carb which is fine cause i got the manifold and air cleaner but was wonder if anyone had any experience or thoughts on the ultima?

my thoughts are it's cheaper and sounds like they made some improvements but i don't really want to spend the $220 on a piece of crap when i could just spend the $300 on a proven carb...

Photobucket
    If your kid needed a new heart valve would you buy the proven one or a cheap chinese copy from a bunch of backroom crooks????

Get Adobe Flash player

Get the real deal quit fucking around already..... or not

Get Adobe Flash player

hey fury
    I think thats the best way to get the stuff, talk to the oldtimers thats what I'm doing, too.
    I'm actually too young to have the half of the experience the old guys have.
    I think it depends on the setup of the bike. last weekend I was talking to an old fat one that is racing sportsters. last year he sold me a delorto dhla. and he said that the super b is a good one for e-start sportys like mine.
    the super e I have, was never running very good.

If you have the money for ultima. buy and try it.
    everybody is complaining about it being crap, but I think no one has actually tried it!
    good carbs aren't about the price or the country they are from.
    Its the thinking and understanding of the physics behind it. I still don't know where ultima is from but if they know what they doing, this thing kicks ass!
    It takes a smart brain to make perfect things, not necessarily an american.

I'm still going with the S&S on mine its a blast!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Want to make some money real quick? Rip off someone elses hard work. Why have an original thought anyway?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Kickstarts View Post
    Want to make some money real quick? Rip off someone elses hard work. Why have an original thought anyway?
    seems to be a lot of that going around now.

Get Adobe Flash player

No reason to help it along. I'd rather run a rebuilt Bendix than a rip off "Ultima". It might work better.

Apparently the Ultima is made in China just like the Bendix rebuild kits that don't work. Try to get a China made Bendix accel pump to work. I hope they're not made in the same factory cause you won't be going anywhere on your bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote If you have the money for ultima. buy and try it.
    everybody is complaining about it being crap, but I think no one has actually tried it!
    Its the thinking and understanding of the physics behind it. I still don't know where ultima is from but if they know what they doing, this thing kicks ass!
    It takes a smart brain to make perfect things, not necessarily an american. un Quote

Little more to it than that.
    This is about some corporate D bag ripping off a proven design that an AMERICAN company has worked their asses off to make, market, stand behind and make reliable , making a few changes to it to get around pattent laws , out sourcing it to CHINA to maximize profit and selling an inferior cheap ass rip-off to people who would like to "try" it. If there is a demand for SHIT like this the cycle will continue. This is the fucking problem with this country now a days and it pisses me right the fuck off !!! DO NOT HELP PERPETUATE THIS CYCLE!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

So, my buddy takes the cheap way out on his shovel and gets an ultima carb. It's a total piece of shit. Could never get it adjusted. We tried to replace some jets and one of the jets was cross threaded in. Needless to say he dumped the 200 bucks on that and spent another 300 on an S&S Super E. Don't learn the $500 dollar lesson.

Get Adobe Flash player

Next thing you know, the asians will be knocking off Harley's CV carb.

Hey, wait....

aaronc

A carb has got to be the last thing you would buy from fuckin china.One of the hugest turn-ons for me about a bike is takin as little as possible and going as far as I can.You take something thats got a good chance to be straight up shit and throw it into the mix and look out! I depend on my bike to not start breaking up when Im merging onto 80/94 and not giving me fits when Im out trying to enjoy myself.Buying a shit fuckin carb from people who where just riding ox's to the family farm is not the way to go.Those mutherfuckers dont give a fuck.If you cant swing a new S&S buy a used one.I support S&S 100%.Fuckin shit carb will wreck your good time.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Quote If you have the money for ultima. buy and try it.
    It takes a smart brain to make perfect things, not necessarily an american. un Quote

Little more to it than that.
    This is about some corporate D bag ripping off a proven design that an AMERICAN company has worked their asses off to make, market, stand behind and make reliable , making a few changes to it to get around pattent laws , out sourcing it to CHINA to maximize profit and selling an inferior cheap ass rip-off to people who would like to "try" it. If there is a demand for SHIT like this the cycle will continue. This is the fucking problem with this country now a days and it pisses me right the fuck off !!! DO NOT HELP PERPETUATE THIS CYCLE!!!
    Yep.....

Share This