Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Detale
    • Jan 2012

Help fixing my paint job please

Hey guys I need some help because I've never done any painting and have read what I can find about it so far but I figure I'd ask here because you motherfuckers know pretty much everything.

Ok so when my bike was delivered to me the gas cap that was on didn't seem to fit right on my alien tank and from the bumpy ride gas had leaked out and spilled on the tank a bit. I wiped it off but it ate through the clear coat a bit. What I am asking is can I repair this by sanding the section down and re-clearing it or do I have to do the whole tank over? Any advice here would be great thanks in advance.
  • Kickfiend
    • Oct 2009

I'm no pro but i have painted my share of things. I would no question sand the whole surface of the tank personally, I like to use 1000 grit. If you just sand that area then try and just put clear on it I cant see that working very well at all you'll probably get runs where you didn't sand. The base coat really needs to be roughed up before the clear will stick. Then when its fully dried I wet sand it all with 2000 to get any orange peel out then use a buffer to get it back to shine. Time and patience my friend lol

Comment

• Flatironmike
      • Jul 2009

can't help with the paint fix, BUT, when you're done, be sure to add a second rubber gasket to the underside of the gas cap. keep the gas in the tank.

good luck with the paint fix

Comment

• junkyardjon
        • Nov 2009

a pic might be easier to see.

Comment

• Detale
          • Jan 2012

Thanks for the replies. I got a new cap right after I noticed it, I should have mentioned that. Also I'll get a pic of the damage uploaded in a few.

Comment

• JohnnyBones
            • Dec 2010

I'm with the poster above. Scuff the entire tank with 1000-1500 grit, be careful not to leave finger marks. ( use a foam sanding pad). Then remove all the dust with a tack cloth, and when it's clean you can shoot clear. Be patient. If you rush through, you'll pay later. Take your time. If you want to use rattle can clear, don't run the off the shelf stuff. Hit me up and I'll link you to some clear in a can that has hardner (which will help with the gas burn bullshit). Good luck.

Comment

• Detale
              • Jan 2012

Thanks man and I will shoot you a PM for the info. Here are some pics I took earlier today.

Comment

• JohnnyWolf
                • Aug 2009

If gas did that much damage, it must be a rattle can paint job...???

Comment

• Detale
                  • Jan 2012

I guess so, you would know more than me about it. Like I said when it was delivered to me the gas was leaking like this for who knows how long before it got to brooklyn. I wiped it as soon as I saw it and it was sticky at that time.

Comment

• cbellamore
                    • Sep 2011

yeah sounds like you have a rattle can job on there

I would honestly strip that whole thing and give it a good paint job
                    you can use a simple stage paint if you want to do one color and have a spray gun

if not check out some of the guys that do paint work on here
                    I just had jakescustoms.com do a tank for my shovel and he did a great job,
                    turn around time was super fast and the price was great

he is in the chop market section here
                    or if you need his number shoot me a pm I'll get it to you

Comment

• junkyardjon
                      • Nov 2009

and thats why i asked for a pic.
                      repair, shake can and respray.

Comment

• JohnnyWolf
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by junkyardjon
                        and thats why i asked for a pic.
                        repair, shake can and respray.

I agree, and assuming you don't have a spay gun, strip it, repaint it, but use a 2-part clear to finish it. This way it will be more gas resistant. There is a thread about it somewhere on here. Several people who have never done there own paint jobs have used it as a guide, with good results.

What is a two part clear you ask? The can has a paint hardener built in. I believe it's released by pushing a button on the bottom of the can.

or.... if you just want a simple single color like the original red you have, take it to a local body shop. It shouldn't be more that a couple hundred (assuming there isn't much body work to be done) to have it sprayed with a gas impervious automotive finish. If you go this route, to save yourself some money go buy some aircraft paint stripper and remove all the paint first.

Good-Luck

Comment

• Detale
                          • Jan 2012

Maybe at the end of the season I'll get the tank repainted but I just want to ride already. For one reason or another this baby has been on hold for around 2 months. I might just sand it and spray clear and see how it goes for now. If I have to send the tank away I'm going to shoot myself. I'll look into a local body shop and see what they say price wise. Thanks so much for all the info guys, you rock.

Comment

• JohnnyWolf
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Detale
                            Maybe at the end of the season I'll get the tank repainted but I just want to ride already. For one reason or another this baby has been on hold for around 2 months. I might just sand it and spray clear and see how it goes for now. If I have to send the tank away I'm going to shoot myself. I'll look into a local body shop and see what they say price wise. Thanks so much for all the info guys, you rock.
                            The clear will not stick to it now that it's been contaminated with gas. In one weekend (with warm weather) you could strip, sand, and repaint with rattle-can.

Comment

• Detale
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by JohnnyWolf
                              The clear will not stick to it now that it's been contaminated with gas. In one weekend (with warm weather) you could strip, sand, and repaint with rattle-can.
                              God damn I hate reading someones advice when I know it's right!! Any advice on paint choice?

Maybe in a few weeks I'll take a crack at it. The next two weekends I have family shit to do but maybe I can get some "me time" from the old lady. Am I causing harm leaving it like that? It's no longer sticky or anything just rough to the touch and ugly to look at.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;