CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Help fixing my paint job please

Hey guys I need some help because I've never done any painting and have read what I can find about it so far but I figure I'd ask here because you motherfuckers know pretty much everything.

Ok so when my bike was delivered to me the gas cap that was on didn't seem to fit right on my alien tank and from the bumpy ride gas had leaked out and spilled on the tank a bit. I wiped it off but it ate through the clear coat a bit. What I am asking is can I repair this by sanding the section down and re-clearing it or do I have to do the whole tank over? Any advice here would be great thanks in advance.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm no pro but i have painted my share of things. I would no question sand the whole surface of the tank personally, I like to use 1000 grit. If you just sand that area then try and just put clear on it I cant see that working very well at all you'll probably get runs where you didn't sand. The base coat really needs to be roughed up before the clear will stick. Then when its fully dried I wet sand it all with 2000 to get any orange peel out then use a buffer to get it back to shine. Time and patience my friend lol

Get Adobe Flash player

can't help with the paint fix, BUT, when you're done, be sure to add a second rubber gasket to the underside of the gas cap. keep the gas in the tank.

good luck with the paint fix

Get Adobe Flash player

a pic might be easier to see.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the replies. I got a new cap right after I noticed it, I should have mentioned that. Also I'll get a pic of the damage uploaded in a few.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm with the poster above. Scuff the entire tank with 1000-1500 grit, be careful not to leave finger marks. ( use a foam sanding pad). Then remove all the dust with a tack cloth, and when it's clean you can shoot clear. Be patient. If you rush through, you'll pay later. Take your time. If you want to use rattle can clear, don't run the off the shelf stuff. Hit me up and I'll link you to some clear in a can that has hardner (which will help with the gas burn bullshit). Good luck.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks man and I will shoot you a PM for the info. Here are some pics I took earlier today.

Get Adobe Flash player

If gas did that much damage, it must be a rattle can paint job...???

Get Adobe Flash player

I guess so, you would know more than me about it. Like I said when it was delivered to me the gas was leaking like this for who knows how long before it got to brooklyn. I wiped it as soon as I saw it and it was sticky at that time.

Get Adobe Flash player

yeah sounds like you have a rattle can job on there

I would honestly strip that whole thing and give it a good paint job
    you can use a simple stage paint if you want to do one color and have a spray gun

if not check out some of the guys that do paint work on here
    I just had jakescustoms.com do a tank for my shovel and he did a great job,
    turn around time was super fast and the price was great

he is in the chop market section here
    or if you need his number shoot me a pm I'll get it to you

Get Adobe Flash player

and thats why i asked for a pic.
    repair, shake can and respray.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by junkyardjon View Post
    and thats why i asked for a pic.
    repair, shake can and respray.

I agree, and assuming you don't have a spay gun, strip it, repaint it, but use a 2-part clear to finish it. This way it will be more gas resistant. There is a thread about it somewhere on here. Several people who have never done there own paint jobs have used it as a guide, with good results.

What is a two part clear you ask? The can has a paint hardener built in. I believe it's released by pushing a button on the bottom of the can.

or.... if you just want a simple single color like the original red you have, take it to a local body shop. It shouldn't be more that a couple hundred (assuming there isn't much body work to be done) to have it sprayed with a gas impervious automotive finish. If you go this route, to save yourself some money go buy some aircraft paint stripper and remove all the paint first.

Good-Luck

Get Adobe Flash player

Maybe at the end of the season I'll get the tank repainted but I just want to ride already. For one reason or another this baby has been on hold for around 2 months. I might just sand it and spray clear and see how it goes for now. If I have to send the tank away I'm going to shoot myself. I'll look into a local body shop and see what they say price wise. Thanks so much for all the info guys, you rock.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    Maybe at the end of the season I'll get the tank repainted but I just want to ride already. For one reason or another this baby has been on hold for around 2 months. I might just sand it and spray clear and see how it goes for now. If I have to send the tank away I'm going to shoot myself. I'll look into a local body shop and see what they say price wise. Thanks so much for all the info guys, you rock.
    The clear will not stick to it now that it's been contaminated with gas. In one weekend (with warm weather) you could strip, sand, and repaint with rattle-can.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWolf View Post
    The clear will not stick to it now that it's been contaminated with gas. In one weekend (with warm weather) you could strip, sand, and repaint with rattle-can.
    God damn I hate reading someones advice when I know it's right!! Any advice on paint choice?

Maybe in a few weeks I'll take a crack at it. The next two weekends I have family shit to do but maybe I can get some "me time" from the old lady. Am I causing harm leaving it like that? It's no longer sticky or anything just rough to the touch and ugly to look at.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    God damn I hate reading someones advice when I know it's right!! Any advice on paint choice?

Maybe in a few weeks I'll take a crack at it. The next two weekends I have family shit to do but maybe I can get some "me time" from the old lady. Am I causing harm leaving it like that? It's no longer sticky or anything just rough to the touch and ugly to look at.
    Many here can, but I can't recommend a brand of paint. Yes you can run it "as is"....the damage is done. It's not going to harm the tank.

Get Adobe Flash player

go pick you up a can of dublacolor red mettle flake. its a good sturdy paint. also get a non lacker clear and give it a few coats that should stand up to the gas better than a lacker based paint.also if some gas splashes on the paint clean it right off.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks again guys.

Get Adobe Flash player

The clear is called "spraymax 2k" and its a urethane clear. My bike is duplicolor rattle can, and I used the spraymax right over the top. Hasn't yellowed and its totally gas resistant. I busted out a how to awhile back here showing the rattlecan paint process I used. Good luck.

Rattlecan thread is here:
    http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...ght=Duplicolor

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBones View Post
    The clear is called "spraymax 2k" and its a urethane clear. My bike is duplicolor rattle can, and I used the spraymax right over the top. Hasn't yellowed and its totally gas resistant. I busted out a how to awhile back here showing the rattlecan paint process I used. Good luck.

Rattlecan thread is here:
    http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...ght=Duplicolor
    Tnx, that's one of the threads I was referring to.
    Last edited by JohnnyWolf; 04-16-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Share This