Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glorydays
    • Jul 2009

Bondo Sucks!

Everytime i put it on it comes right back off! It's slowly getting there...

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by glorydays; 07-29-2009, 8:54 AM.
  • erikweste
    • Jul 2009

putty help

Originally posted by glorydays
    Everytime i put it on it comes right back off! It's slowly getting there...

[IMG][/IMG]
    It looks like those designs are metal and you are using the putty to make smooth transitions into the tank... yes?

Can't put it on too thick and creating those radii is making a nice thick bit of 'Bondo'. I would put it on in about 3 stages of increasing radius with curing between each, until you get what you want. Otherwise it can 'pop' off the metal... and you sure don't want that on a hot sunny day after a nice paint job.

Hope it helps.
    ~E

Comment

• ccgirl
      • Jul 2009

Ha! That's why I don't let people do their own prep work. Is the problem that it's not sticking, or are you putting it on an sanding too much off? No offense intended, a friend of mine kept doing that, went through almost a gallon of filler on a gas tank. Did you sand with 80 grit first in the areas that need filler?

Comment

• MrCrown
        • Jul 2009

what about a self-etching primer?

I've always put that on bare metal first, then filler. Never had any fall out/off yet.

Comment

• ccgirl
          • Jul 2009

You're better off putting the filler on bare metal. Just make sure you sand with a course grit and clean it well with MEK.

Comment

• glorydays
            • Jul 2009

It's all good! Those were just some snapshots of when i was first slapping some bondo on.. The tank's all done now and working on my fender..

Comment

• currysurr
              • Aug 2009

be sure to post pictures when finished, I am curious to see how it turns out.

Comment

• Bloodhound
                • Aug 2009

It is frustrating shit. I would say it is one of the more difficult things to do on a bike. sanding takes forever. I am for giving it to someone else. I hate that stuff.
                I do like the tank.

Comment

• imperialhouse71
                  • Aug 2009

..it looks like your using, what I call "smoothie", is that so? Start with firberglass filler, until you get right to the very last bit and then use the smoothie to make the smooth transitions in the molding. Also, as was stated before, you need to really scuff the area pretty good before applying any bondo, or glass. Nonetheless......it's gonna look pretty kick ass when you get it finished. keep us posted!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;