Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • revmike
    • Nov 2009

clear coat on 'bare' metal

Has anyone come up with a clear finish that will work on bare metal? What I would like is to protect pinstriping on a bare metal gas tank. Tank would be finished, but not polished, per se.

Any other weird products out there that have worked to maintain bare metal without having to make love to it every week or so and which wouldn't harm the pinstriping?

I don't see a lot of good answers out there in the cyber world, if anyone has any good links, that would be great too. I'm looking for a solution people have some experience with, so I'm not at the whim of some sales pitch. If not, I'll just throw some primer on it and pinstripe that.

Thanks

~Rev Mike
  • Nicko
    • Sep 2009

Mike, I don't know if I got lucky

or what, but I sanded the tins on a custom I did last year, made it super smooth to about 600 grit I think, and coated it with aerosol clear gloss. I thought it would be temporary until I sold it and let customer pick color. It was good for over a year, until a gas spill.....we have powdered clear before with good success as well.
    Attached Files

Comment

• gofastmoto
      • Sep 2009

thats what im thinking about doing to my frame. bare metal powdered clear. i have used aersol clear with no problem

Comment

• Hoofhearted
        • Dec 2009

I've been using Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Clear for years and have had a lot of success with it. It seems to be impervious to gas and most other stuff. Plus it sands and buffs pretty good. Its available from NAPA auto parts.

Comment

• Toecutterp
          • Sep 2009

I made a bunch of display for Burton snowboards world trade show a few years ago. They wanted them to be rusty with a clear coat over them. Well after 3 plus years they are still fine with no sign of the clear coat failing. So strait on steal will be ok. Just make sure you clean the hell out of them with wax and grease remover first. Omni clear will work for what you want it's the PPG less expensive brand. If you want you can tent the clear any color you want for that candy look if yah want

Comment

• locoleon
            • Dec 2009

Check out the Por-15 PC Glisten Marine Clear Coat.
            Its designed for bare metal..

Comment

• HtM
              • Oct 2009

I put this together a few months ago with my shopmate for the DBC.

Bare steel frame:

I wanted to keep the raw steel look, so after welding up the rear section and grinding down the paint on the original frame, it got a coat of GIBBS.

[gibbs site]

A couple of months later it's still looking good.

And yes, it's been plenty wet. Offroaded and wet.
              I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

Comment

• DannySLC
                • Aug 2009

Brandon used Extreme Powdercoating in Bountiful. They are cool dudes and know how to do bikes stuff.

Photobucket

Comment

• Baasman
                  • Aug 2009

I rock bare metal tins with no clear (IN OHIO) and all I do is clean it from time to time with some Gibbs Lubricant. It's a little pricey but effective!

Comment

• revmike
                    • Nov 2009

Danny / Nick:

Thanks, I heard powder coat might work, but not heard any experience. I might call Extreme and get their take. I don't think Gibbs is what I want. I don't get the reapplication thing. Duplicore sounds like something interesting to try at home and fuck up before I have to give up and take it to Extreme Powdercoating...

Thanks guys! I have some direction. Sounds like PC will work.

~Rev Mike

Comment

• crass
                      • Apr 2024

that single cylinder bike is SICK!! I'd love to ride something like that in the desert

Comment

• revmike
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Hoofhearted
                        I've been using Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Clear for years and have had a lot of success with it. It seems to be impervious to gas and most other stuff. Plus it sands and buffs pretty good. Its available from NAPA auto parts.
                        Hoof: You running that duplicolor clear on bare metal? It adheres ok? Just not sure about "paint" without a primer or etching.... powder coating bonds, so shouldn't really be an issue.

Comment

• garco
                          • Aug 2009

Weve used this adhesive promoter called Bulldog. It comes in a spraycan. You can pick it up at a paint supply store. Just spray it over the bare metal, let dry then spray your clear.

Comment

• revmike
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by garco
                            Weve used this adhesive promoter called Bulldog. It comes in a spraycan. You can pick it up at a paint supply store. Just spray it over the bare metal, let dry then spray your clear.
                            Bulldog makes some pretty interesting products. That might be worth a try as well, for the home dabbler....

Comment

• me
                              • Dec 2009

hey rev have you givin this a shot yet? i'm havin a hellova time with my tins. i've cleared them twice with rustoleeum rim clear and it starts to rust in 3 days or so.

think i'm gonna try this bulldog stuff then some duplicolor...not sure though

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;