Email Password Mobile Version / Desktop Version
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default clear coat on 'bare' metal

Has anyone come up with a clear finish that will work on bare metal? What I would like is to protect pinstriping on a bare metal gas tank. Tank would be finished, but not polished, per se.

Any other weird products out there that have worked to maintain bare metal without having to make love to it every week or so and which wouldn't harm the pinstriping?

I don't see a lot of good answers out there in the cyber world, if anyone has any good links, that would be great too. I'm looking for a solution people have some experience with, so I'm not at the whim of some sales pitch. If not, I'll just throw some primer on it and pinstripe that.

Thanks

~Rev Mike

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Mike, I don't know if I got lucky

or what, but I sanded the tins on a custom I did last year, made it super smooth to about 600 grit I think, and coated it with aerosol clear gloss. I thought it would be temporary until I sold it and let customer pick color. It was good for over a year, until a gas spill.....we have powdered clear before with good success as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 093.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

thats what im thinking about doing to my frame. bare metal powdered clear. i have used aersol clear with no problem

Get Adobe Flash player

I've been using Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Clear for years and have had a lot of success with it. It seems to be impervious to gas and most other stuff. Plus it sands and buffs pretty good. Its available from NAPA auto parts.

Get Adobe Flash player

I made a bunch of display for Burton snowboards world trade show a few years ago. They wanted them to be rusty with a clear coat over them. Well after 3 plus years they are still fine with no sign of the clear coat failing. So strait on steal will be ok. Just make sure you clean the hell out of them with wax and grease remover first. Omni clear will work for what you want it's the PPG less expensive brand. If you want you can tent the clear any color you want for that candy look if yah want

Get Adobe Flash player

Check out the Por-15 PC Glisten Marine Clear Coat.
    Its designed for bare metal..

http://www.canada-por15.com/por-15-glisten-pc.htm

Get Adobe Flash player

I put this together a few months ago with my shopmate for the DBC.

Bare steel frame:

I wanted to keep the raw steel look, so after welding up the rear section and grinding down the paint on the original frame, it got a coat of GIBBS.

[gibbs site]

A couple of months later it's still looking good.

And yes, it's been plenty wet. Offroaded and wet.
    I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

Get Adobe Flash player

Brandon used Extreme Powdercoating in Bountiful. They are cool dudes and know how to do bikes stuff.

Photobucket

Get Adobe Flash player

I rock bare metal tins with no clear (IN OHIO) and all I do is clean it from time to time with some Gibbs Lubricant. It's a little pricey but effective!

Get Adobe Flash player

Danny / Nick:

Thanks, I heard powder coat might work, but not heard any experience. I might call Extreme and get their take. I don't think Gibbs is what I want. I don't get the reapplication thing. Duplicore sounds like something interesting to try at home and fuck up before I have to give up and take it to Extreme Powdercoating...

Thanks guys! I have some direction. Sounds like PC will work.

~Rev Mike

crass

that single cylinder bike is SICK!! I'd love to ride something like that in the desert

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
    I've been using Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Clear for years and have had a lot of success with it. It seems to be impervious to gas and most other stuff. Plus it sands and buffs pretty good. Its available from NAPA auto parts.
    Hoof: You running that duplicolor clear on bare metal? It adheres ok? Just not sure about "paint" without a primer or etching.... powder coating bonds, so shouldn't really be an issue.

Get Adobe Flash player

Weve used this adhesive promoter called Bulldog. It comes in a spraycan. You can pick it up at a paint supply store. Just spray it over the bare metal, let dry then spray your clear.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by garco View Post
    Weve used this adhesive promoter called Bulldog. It comes in a spraycan. You can pick it up at a paint supply store. Just spray it over the bare metal, let dry then spray your clear.
    Bulldog makes some pretty interesting products. That might be worth a try as well, for the home dabbler....

Get Adobe Flash player

hey rev have you givin this a shot yet? i'm havin a hellova time with my tins. i've cleared them twice with rustoleeum rim clear and it starts to rust in 3 days or so.

think i'm gonna try this bulldog stuff then some duplicolor...not sure though

Get Adobe Flash player

i know im in the wrong here, but whats wrong with paint? gadamn i think some flake is gorgeous, and im really thinkin of tryin it out when i repaint my tins. myworthless$.02... i hate bare metal, looks unfinished.

Get Adobe Flash player

Anyone ever try the VHT clear high temp paint on exhaust?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    hey rev have you givin this a shot yet? i'm havin a hellova time with my tins. i've cleared them twice with rustoleeum rim clear and it starts to rust in 3 days or so.

think i'm gonna try this bulldog stuff then some duplicolor...not sure though
    You should use a metal conditioner before you clear it, and make sure you dont touch the metal with your bare hands. as soon as the conditioner evaporates shoot the clear asap.
    my tank is steel, candy krylon, then selectclear shot out of a hf detail gun. been about a year and no rust whatsoever.

Get Adobe Flash player

im runnin dupicolor on bare metal... i bought a $17 can of adhesive promoter and then sprayed the clear over the metal. works like a champ...

Get Adobe Flash player

ok maybe a dumb question but i found some automotive dupli color adhesion promoter, in a rattle can, it says its ideal for plastics, fiberglass, and car trim.

do i need to go find something different? a metal specific adhession promoter??

Share This