CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Milwaukee Murderer: Dual Engine Triumph LSR Build Thread

I started working on this a while back, originally intending to keep it a secret til it was done. Then I decided, screw it, and started putting a bit online about it, because I am really excited about the whole thing. I am going to post up some photos and info from a few blog posts I had done on this project, and then here on out I will add more progress photos as I go. A bunch more is done than shown in these initial batches of photos. I am building this for Born Free 4 which is June 28th, and am racing it at Bonneville Speed Week 2012 where I plan to break some records.

-------

Enter: The Milwaukee Murderer

I decided to build a dual engine Triumph land speed bike, since dual engine race bikes are about the coolest thing in the world as far as I am concerned. I went down for a week and stayed with my friend Dave Bird (you may have seen his frames and hardtails before) in Missouri and we spent a few days making this frame; his many years of fabrication experience were much appreciated and I learned quite a bit during my visit.

Being a dual engine 650 c.c. this will put me in the 1350 displacement class at Bonneville Speed Week 2012, where I intend to knock some knuckles and pans out of the record book, hence the title of the bike, 'Milwaukee Murderer'. Progress has been slow but steady on this build, pretty much every single part of it is hand made or modified.

Almost done, still needs finish welding and a couple of cross braces.

Bucks made out of 2" x 8" to hammerform some aluminum for a gas tank.

Rad wheels that came off of Al Lonneville's Triumph flat tracker, getting reworked for glory on the salt.

Get Adobe Flash player

Bottom ends have gone together, thanks to Todd Muller, in-house tech at Lowbrow. Everything clearanced so the later cranks and lumpy cams will actually turn in the 1955 crank cases. Beefy rods. Cylinders bored, ready for paint, and then the top ends will be going together. Heads and high dome pistons ready and lying in wait. My plan was to build two stock '55 T110 motors, but that plan kind of went out the window, fortune favors the bold. Mockup motors and trans in the frame for now as details both large and small get addressed. Changes being made, big ones, as recent as tonight stay tuned for some full profile shots.

starwolf

Another bad ass mutherfucker ! I admit it, twin engine machines make me tingle!

Trinda

I know I have no business making suggestions on something like this, but I'd be curious to see how the build would have been different if you mounted the front head backwards and ran the engines closer together and had the exhaust manifolds merge on either side. if nothing else, it would certainly look neat. I think I'll add that sort of project to my list of "things to make if I get rich" shorter wheelbase would make it more manageable for street use - which is clearly not the purpose of this build.

Get Adobe Flash player

Spectacular! Cant wait to hear it run!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Trinda View Post
    I know I have no business making suggestions on something like this, but I'd be curious to see how the build would have been different if you mounted the front head backwards and ran the engines closer together and had the exhaust manifolds merge on either side. if nothing else, it would certainly look neat. I think I'll add that sort of project to my list of "things to make if I get rich" shorter wheelbase would make it more manageable for street use - which is clearly not the purpose of this build.
    There are lots of ways to do it, my front motor is a bit higher than the rear to allow for clearance for carbs/exhaust etc, I could have likely made them closer but it would have been more of a bitch when it comes to actually putting it together and working on it. And wait and watch how quickly that bike fills up, between motors, trans, carbs, magnetos, oil lines, gas lines, etc etc it is going to be PACKED!

I have seen a couple photos of dual engine bikes with the motors side by side. I have also seen a bike kind of like what you mention, it was somewhere in the UK and was a chopper for street use, front motor had head reversed, rear motor head was normal. so exhausts came out towards eachother in the middle.

Not sure how that would run, you really want to build two motors that will be identical so one isn't fighting the other.

Tyler

Get Adobe Flash player

Amen to the above!!! Bonneville is tough enough without having two differently set up engines to fight.

Get Adobe Flash player

you are out of control Tyler, ....and I like it.
    but are you using that swing arm trans? I guess it would be ok for a Bonneville bike but the drag racers preferred the Burman trans.

Also whats up with the unit head on the front engine, I saw two pre unit barrels in the boxes?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Torch View Post
    but are you using that swing arm trans? I guess it would be ok for a Bonneville bike but the drag racers preferred the Burman trans.

Also whats up with the unit head on the front engine, I saw two pre unit barrels in the boxes?
    Because the motors in the frame in that pick are only for mockup

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Mockup motors and trans in the frame for now as details both large and small get addressed. Changes being made, big ones, as recent as tonight stay tuned for some full profile shots.

Get Adobe Flash player

You've got salt fever, boy......SALT FEVER!!!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

This is one hell of a Brit iron hard on, this thing is going to be absofuckinglutely wicked!

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm excited already to see what you have in store for this monster! Can't wait to hear the stories of you destroying those harleys!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Torch View Post

Tony, hah thanks. Yeah swing arm trans should be fine for Bonneville, totally different than drag racing. Guys ran em drag too, but I have seen beefed up cases several times, with extra gussets welded around so they don't split. With Bonneville being a mile or more to build up speed you aren't dropping the hammer like on the strip

Those motors are just mock up, front one I have had laying around forever, rear is junky empty cases and such

Tyler

Get Adobe Flash player

Work ensues on Milwaukee Murderer, getting it finished to bring and debut at Born Free 4 California on June 30th, 2012. I originally had a hillclimber style H-D springer on the front, which looked great, but I opted for this NOS Metal Profiles 32mm fork from the early 70's instead, half the weight and better handling. Especially at speed.

Todd, in-house Tech at Lowbrow, has been working on assembling the motors. We are further ahead than this at the moment, however I just love this photo.

Setting up the rear wheel with the quick-change Lester mag wheel, carriers, sprocket, 10-1/2" quick-change disc, and KustomTech caliper has been time consuming! One of those tasks where nothing is easy to find or even exists, and every bit and piece has to be made or modified so it all works together. This bike will have much more stopping power than my 1955 single engine Triumph race bike, though stopping isn't what I am concerned with, it's going.

A quick mockup, testing controls on the old Tommaselli clip-ons. Dead-man switch in case I come off the bike, KustomTech Classic Master Cylinder, Pingel micro switch as a kill, and a dual pull throttle. Lots going on there, but all necessary.

Get Adobe Flash player

Man .....I wanna do something like this.......

Get Adobe Flash player

very cool. this bike will for sure be remembered for a long time.

Get Adobe Flash player

Okay Tyler, come clean. This is nothing more than a sneaky ploy by Lowbrow Customs to take advantage of NASA's recent move towards the privatization of space travel in order to start selling pieces of moon rock on your webstore isn't it?

...and if so, I'd like to pre-order a moon rock.

Last edited by GreaserMike; 04-12-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by GreaserMike View Post
    Okay Tyler, come clean. This is nothing more than a sneaky ploy by Lowbrow Customs to take advantage of NASA's recent move towards the privatization of space travel in order to start selling pieces of moon rock on your webstore isn't it?

...and if so, I'd like to pre-order a moon rock.
    Yes, just one more step in the right direction.. however I don't think a Triumph-powered spaceship is one I want to ride on hah

Get Adobe Flash player

I initially had a H-D hillclimber springer on this bike, with negative trail. I think it looked really good, but I ended up swapping it out for the 32mm Metal Profiles fork currently on there. It is about function more than form, and while the springer looked good, it weighed almost as much as the frame and wouldn't perform nearly as well as the hydraulic front end.

Here are a couple pics showing riding position, which will remain the same.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks AMAZING!

You're gonna need a periscope to see your lane! HAR!

Share This