Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pendulum
    • Jul 2011

Papers served to a 15 - Legal or not? Arizona

Here in AZ we have those cameras to catch you speeding. My chick got snapped by one, doing 57 in a 45. She ignored the 1st ticket that was mailed, and told her dad n brother not to answer the door for strangers, hoping she could duck the process server until the 90 day limit was up. Well, her little bro answered the door and got served the papers. Thing is, he's 15. Anyone in AZ know for sure if this is legal?

I spent some time reading up on it, and the rules of civil procedure don't define an age. It says:
    Service upon an individual from whom a waiver has not been obtained and filed, other than those specified in paragraphs (e), (f) and (g) of this Rule 4.1, shall be effected by delivering a copy of the summons and of the pleading to that individual personally or by leaving copies thereof at that individual's dwelling house or usual place of abode with some person of suitable age and discretion then residing therein or by delivering a copy of the summons and of the pleading to an agent authorized by appointment or by law to receive service of process.
    The next section, titled "Service of Summons Upon Minors" specifically names age 16.
    Service of Summons Upon Minors. Service upon a minor under the age of sixteen years shall be effected by service in the manner set forth in paragraph (d) of this Rule 4.1 upon the minor and upon the minor's father, mother or guardian, within this state, or if none is found therein, then upon any person having the care and control of such minor, or with whom the minor resides.

So, based on this, she's thinking about telling the court that this service is invalid. Now how the hell do we do that? Not gonna lie, part of this is me wanting to "stick it to the man", but another part of it is that she just can't afford to pay the ticket right now.
    Last edited by Pendulum; 04-06-2012, 11:34 AM.
  • SoCalEarz
    • Jul 2011

Sorry man- I heard the speed traps on the highway were challanged and shown to be illegal. So everyone was "sorta" told to ignore them if you get a ticket in the mail.
    The street traps for speeders are a BITCH! They have them all over the place. I think your best option is to go to the court and ask for an extension or payment options (if they have it...)

As for sticking it to the man... They have it worded like a Hoodini Clause...

Service of Summons Upon Minors. Service upon a minor under the age of sixteen years shall be effected by service in the manner set forth in paragraph (d) of this Rule 4.1

Rule 4.1, shall be effected by delivering a copy of the summons and of the pleading to that individual personally or by leaving copies thereof at that individual's dwelling house or usual place of abode with some person of suitable age and discretion

Tech most states allow you to leave your child alone at 12... Or if they are more mature and can show they know how and who to get ahold of in-case of emergency. 15 is considered to be a mature/suitable person "per-say".

Best of luck- AZ Courts SUCK!

Comment

• Pendulum
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by SoCalEarz
      Sorry man- I heard the speed traps on the highway were challanged and shown to be illegal. So everyone was "sorta" told to ignore them if you get a ticket in the mail.
      The street traps for speeders are a BITCH! They have them all over the place. I think your best option is to go to the court and ask for an extension or payment options (if they have it...)

As for sticking it to the man... They have it worded like a Hoodini Clause...

Service of Summons Upon Minors. Service upon a minor under the age of sixteen years shall be effected by service in the manner set forth in paragraph (d) of this Rule 4.1

Rule 4.1, shall be effected by delivering a copy of the summons and of the pleading to that individual personally or by leaving copies thereof at that individual's dwelling house or usual place of abode with some person of suitable age and discretion

Tech most states allow you to leave your child alone at 12... Or if they are more mature and can show they know how and who to get ahold of in-case of emergency. 15 is considered to be a mature/suitable person "per-say".

Best of luck- AZ Courts SUCK!
      Yeah, like you said... It's worded all fucked up. "Suitable age" could mean anything. Like I quoted above, in the next section it says that any minor being served must be 16 so serving a 15 yr old on behalf of an adult shouldn't be allowed. I need to see what we need to do to tell the courts that this service is invalid.

And yeah, they did get rid of the cameras on the highways. They still have the vans and cameras on surface streets. They changed the way they do the tickets, too. I just reach back and cover my license plate w/ my hand and full throttle right on by haha

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
        • Apr 2010

Don't pay, then you can bail her out. Plus then her insurance premiums go up, so it's better to pay, then take the school, keep insurance premiums down.

Comment

• Pendulum
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by BuddhahoodVato
          Don't pay, then you can bail her out. Plus then her insurance premiums go up, so it's better to pay, then take the school, keep insurance premiums down.
          I know exactly what happens when the ticket isn't paid, but if the courts aren't playing by the rules then why should the ticket be paid? I can't just hand a request for an extension to some random person at the court house, can I?

Comment

• NHMike
            • Apr 2024

So, you got bagged speeding and don't want to pay.

Solution: Don't speed.

I'm no big fan of speed limits, or "traffic laws" in general, but really, if you get caught either go to court and fight it, or man the fuck up and pay it.

Comment

• Hutch
              • Sep 2009

I hate to agree with Mike, but she got caught so just pay it. We have those cameras still in Iowa and make a lot of money off a lot of people, but at least here they don't affect your insurance premiums.

Comment

• Pendulum
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by NHMike
                So, you got bagged speeding and don't want to pay.

Solution: Don't speed.

I'm no big fan of speed limits, or "traffic laws" in general, but really, if you get caught either go to court and fight it, or man the fuck up and pay it.
                Which is exactly what she wants to do, but if they didn't follow the rules in serving the papers then this serve doesn't matter.

Comment

• NHMike
                  • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Pendulum
                  Which is exactly what she wants to do, but if they didn't follow the rules in serving the papers then this serve doesn't matter.
                  If you're going to fight it, what's the difference? The reailty is, is that if you go to court ccomplaining they gave a summons to a 15 year old the court will say sorry, or give some lame excuse as to why they COULD do it. Then they'll hear your girls case, find her guilty and you'll have to pay anyhow.

Comment

• some1else
                    • Jun 2011

it aint like shes innocent..pay-up if you know where the cameras are why not cover you,re plate and go past it at about 100.have a lookout for the man.take turns get all youre friends involved,better yet steal a cops plate put it on you,re car get a bunch of parking tickets,drive across the mayors yard,speed for the cameras then put the plate back on the cops car.

Comment

• Scouser
                      • Aug 2010

Not knowing the law over there but common sense would say that if you go to court complanning that it was served on a 15 year old aren't you admitting that you received it , so the ticket was delivered by the 15 year old to the actual offender?
                      Scouser

Comment

• Pendulum
                        • Jul 2011

I figured this forum would be a good place to ask. I guess not.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                          • Apr 2010

Ah probrecito, didn't hear what ya wanted to read. I'd just pay, cheaper in the long run.

Comment

• rustrocket84
                            • Aug 2009

I got pulled over in Phoenix on I-10 by an Az trooper. Asked what I did since I know I wasn't speeding and he gave me the run around and said that my canteen, which had strategically come loose was covering my plate. Little did he know that I was covering it because of their cameras. Not sure how you can fight that one. I'd just pay it as much as it sucks and I hate that state and local governments are using cameras to make money.

Comment

• bkrtrsh
                              • Jan 2012

The "man" always wins...That's why he's called the "man"

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;