Checking the VIN without ging to the hwy patrol?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cabtherocker
    • Aug 2009

Checking the VIN without ging to the hwy patrol?

So long story short I have a 1969 triumph that didn't have a title. I went to the Highway patrol with just the bill of sale and the officer wouldn't even look at the numbers all he told me was to bring the complete bike to him so he could run the numbers and make sure it wasn't stolen. (Side note in California if you bike was stolen they will take it. Even if it was 40 years ago and all parties involved are past.)

Does anyone here know of a way to make sure your numbers are clear before you go to the Highway Patrol.

Getting the pink slip isn't an issue for me one I have the paperwork saying the bike isn't stolen.
  • Zooligan
    • Oct 2009

Go someplace else and tell them you're looking to buy a bike, but don't want to give money for something that's hot. Lather, rinse, repeat until you get the response you need. They should understand that.

You could also maybe try a Triumph dealer. I know Harley's you can call the factory and they'll do research for you.

Comment

• NHMike
      • Apr 2024

So, what if it IS stolen, then what are you going to do??? Sounds pretty sketchy to me.

Comment

• Spade115
        • May 2010

ive done the above over the phone, I am looking at a X (triumph, honda, hd) and want to check the vin before I buy it guy says he only has a BOS and dont want to give money for something I cant use

they will usually help you out.

Comment

• 24Cycles
          • Sep 2009

Yes you can pay a registration place to run the numbers for you. Bottom line if you bought it and its stolen you need to surrender it anyway. Take it the CHP and it comes back clean your good to go. If its stolen then they take it and your out cash no crime in buying stolen property since you didnt know. You find out its hot and strip it its a felony. If you strip it and it comes back stolen its still a felony.

My advice at this point is take it to CHP and hope for the best. Since its in your posession you skipped the other method of running vin before you buy. I never buy anything unless its cleared up front.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
            • Apr 2010

Easy solution, one that was proffred for you. Get the numbers, truck on down to a titleing company, pay them a simple fee, and run the numbers. But you should of run the numbers first, but hell scared man don't get ahead. Shit your in Truckee, cali titleing companies can run that number in a heart beat. good luck. But if it's stolen, and you know it, well then it can get dicey, like the man wrote earlier.

Comment

• CRFyou
              • Mar 2010

I have a super fast, free, and easy way to do this.... If you're a AAA member.

I've done it a lot.

AAA- "What can I help you with?"

CRFyou- "I am thinking of buying a motorcycle, but I don't really trust Craigslist people. Can I please give you the VIN and you let me know if it's in good standing?"

AAA- "I can't give you any information about the registered owner..."

CRFyou- "I know, I just want to make sure the VIN is fine."

AAA- "What's the VIN number?"

CRFyou- "666."

AAA- "That bike is not stolen."

Then you don't have to worry about registering it and it getting snaffled.

I also use this to see if bikes are off the DMV grid. If they are, I make a lost title like I always owned it. Makes life easy.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                • Apr 2010

What respectable rider would be a member of AAA, me. i have them cuzz they insured for a good price, and insured for what i said the sled was worth.
                Here in dago, the lost title gig is up, when you apply for one they want vin verification.
                another thing about AAA is since i am a long standing member, I have premium towing, came in handy when i lent one of my scoots to a service buddy and he played easy rider out in the sticks. they towed the scoot to my garage, nice.
                but i have never tryed that, calling about the vin, will try it tomorrow.

Comment

• 24Cycles
                  • Sep 2009

Down side of triple A is recent changes does not allow them to register out state titles for motorcycles or bikes with lost titles. There data base only checks state you are requesting vin verification in. Bottom line they got in huge trouble for registering china motorcycles and wrong vins. Good source to use if you have a pinkslip not good to trust as a vin verification joint.
                  When I vin verify it comes with a print out stating the vin number condition and registered owner. Taking someones word for it without the print out isnt gospel. I seen a few bikes cleared by shops come back on a hot sheet months later because they trusted a online service and bike had a hot engine from a different state.
                  You bought it already so the next step is a verified verification joint or CHP. Either way its yours or its owners waiting for her to come home. I would bank your in the clear and its clean.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                    • Apr 2010

Twenty four, like the support you affording the fooooooollllliiiiiooooo.

Comment

• 24Cycles
                      • Sep 2009

One Better
                      Finest City Registration
                      Shaundra Flanigan
                      858-270-1471
                      [email protected]

She is a CA Vin# Verifier. Take picture of the vins and email them to her. Call her up tell her Adam Rittenberg from 24 Cycles/BeerBreed sent you and she will advise you. Shes the professional and has been dead on everytime.
                      I think vin verifies are 6 bucks and reg is 50 plus DMV fees. Worth every penny!

Free vin check doesnt mean its legit.

Comment

• Torch
                        • Jul 2009

the DMV and AAA vin check is only good for the state of California, for a national VIN search you need to go to CHP and have the numbers run on the National Insurance Crime data bank, this will tell you if you bike was is listed as stolen in the state of New Hampster or where ever.
                        of the 75 to 100 bikes we have had CHP run only one Triumph frame has ever come back as hot, and that was resolved with a letter of release for the guy in Washingron it was stolen from in 1971.
                        Acording to my CHP VIN inspector he knows Cal DMV has registered several bikes that were later discovered as stolen for other states.

Comment

• 24Cycles
                          • Sep 2009

Gospel right there.

Originally posted by Torch
                          the DMV and AAA vin check is only good for the state of California, for a national VIN search you need to go to CHP and have the numbers run on the National Insurance Crime data bank, this will tell you if you bike was is listed as stolen in the state of New Hampster or where ever.
                          of the 75 to 100 bikes we have had CHP run only one Triumph frame has ever come back as hot, and that was resolved with a letter of release for the guy in Washingron it was stolen from in 1971.
                          Acording to my CHP VIN inspector he knows Cal DMV has registered several bikes that were later discovered as stolen for other states.

Comment

• cabtherocker
                            • Aug 2009

Thanks all for all the help. I made an appt with the chp. I will keep you posted!

Comment

• Torch
                              • Jul 2009

here guys look at this, you can't use this but CHP can,........https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck
                              Last edited by Torch; 04-03-2012, 9:46 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;